Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we look to 2020 and forsake 2019?

Re: Should we look to 2020 and forsake 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I thought it was 2002, and they were in second place.
    It was definitely 97 but you are right they were second place 3 games behind Cleveland
    Crazy Reds Fan

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    It was definitely 97 but you are right they were second place 3 games behind Cleveland
    I'm a fan of that approach. I think if you're not built to win the World Series, then you're better off adding value where you can.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

4. Likes:

RedsRocker (07-15-2019)

I'm a fan of that approach. I think if you're not built to win the World Series, then you're better off adding value where you can.
    I don't disagree I just wish the Reds would be built to win the World Series one of these years 2012 was the only year they were built like that in the last 25 years
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Iím not sure what some people mean by ďsell.Ē But if the idea is to trade veterans for prospects and go young and cheap again, Iím a buyer instead.

Weíve been through 4-5 years of rebuilding, I see no way this franchise will put their fans through that again now. The thread speaks of 2020, but most prospects wonít be contributing to a championship by 2020.

I have no problem trading off impending free agents for immediate help, but if the goal is to add some farm depth Iíd rather keep the 2019 guys and have the best possible record this year. The team is improved, no reason to throw it into the tank.
    They better start playing better real quick like a b negative all right now they're probably about 86 87 loss team
    Crazy Reds Fan

They better start playing better real quick like a b negative all right now they're probably about 86 87 loss team
    86 losses is a nine game improvement. People forget, Reds weren’t just a 90 loss team, it was worse than that for four seasons.

And after Chicago they play (if I recall) 23 of 33 at home. While they finish more heavily road, the opposition near the end isn’t the strongest.

I never believed this was a one year thing. I expected some improvement this year, a bunch more next year. I hope Reds outperform that but I’ll take that schedule and don’t favor stretching it out.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-14-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Yes. If we can find a way to simultaneously sell for 2019, but buy for 2020, that would make sense. That might take some creativity because I'm not sure a normal "rental for a minor leaguer" deal fits.

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-14-2019)

86 losses is a nine game improvement. People forget, Reds weren’t just a 90 loss team, it was worse than that for four seasons.

And after Chicago they play (if I recall) 23 of 33 at home. While they finish more heavily road, the opposition near the end isn’t the strongest.

I never believed this was a one year thing. I expected some improvement this year, a bunch more next year. I hope Reds outperform that but I’ll take that schedule.
    I'm not saying you're wrong and believe me I definitely want the Reds to win the most games I can I'm just not a big believer in one season plays into next season. the roster is going to be so much different next year
    Crazy Reds Fan

11. Likes:

REDREAD (07-15-2019)

The Reds can leave Chicago...

9.5 GB (Cubs series sweep)
    7.5 GB (Cubs 2-1 series win)
    5.5 GB (Reds 2-1 series win)
    3.5 GB (Reds series sweep)
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

5.5 sounds about right, treading water.
    Go Gators!

What would you say.....ya do here?

Haunted by walks

Teams are realizing that rebuilds donít take you the whole way. You clear the decks of expensive pieces and improve the farm. Itís all necessary. But thereís a gap where you must top off the rebuild with competitive major league talent.

I thought it was pretty clear that the Reds were being innovative after the rebuild by bringing in short-term major-league talent this year while keeping their best prospects, and would be in a good position to build on that next year.

I'm not saying you're wrong and believe me I definitely want the Reds to win the most games I can I'm just not a big believer in one season plays into next season. the roster is going to be so much different next year
    I disagree, but it’s a fair point for discussion.

Reds lost 381 games over the last four years. I don’t think you turn that around on a dime. Takes a few years of building your major league squad.

In the Reds’ case, they added almost no proven major league talent for four years. It would have been a Herculean task to build a winner in one off-season. I view it as a multi-year build up, which thankfully is now underway.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-14-2019 at 11:19 PM.

I disagree, but it’s a fair discussion.

Thing is, the Reds lost 381 games over the last four years. I don’t think you turn that around on a dime.

In the Reds’ case, they added no proven major league talent for four years. I never thought they could possibly cure that in one off-season. It was particularly hard because of the Bailey contract overhang and the dollar impact.
    I think you're right there the problem is it what they did this offseason it's a fact that they didn't even attempt to add Talent the last four years before this. I totally would feel better about next year if they had more controllable pieces. I definitely don't think the effort was bad this offseason. hopefully they figure out the right guys to keep and the right guys the trade in the next few weeks
    Crazy Reds Fan

18. Likes:

REDREAD (07-15-2019)

The Reds can leave Chicago...

9.5 GB (Cubs series sweep)
    7.5 GB (Cubs 2-1 series win)
    5.5 GB (Reds 2-1 series win)
    3.5 GB (Reds series sweep)
    So this is the series where it's determined whether I maintain interest in the season or recollect myself and look forward to College Football and the NFL preseason...

I would try to trade for Adames from the Ray's. Based on local radio here in Tampa they maybe willing to trade him.
    Also local radio also speculated the Ray's would be interested in disco if the reds were willing to move him because he is under control next year. I also think they need a closer.
    I would propose trading both Iglesias with disco to the Ray's for adames and a couple of pitching prospects

21. Likes:

#13 (07-15-2019)

Turn Off Ads?