Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: More Jim Day please

More Jim Day please

After hearing Jim Day for the last couple of days during these Fox Sports broadcasts on MLB.TV I’m reminded how much Thom stinks.

Or maybe Jim is just a beautiful flower. Regardless, more Jim Day please!!!

2. Likes:

goldglover9 (07-14-2019),mbgrayson (07-15-2019),westofyou (07-14-2019),wlf WV (07-15-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: More Jim Day please

It's nice to not have heard how long the game was last night, or how bad the weather was, or how the Reds with 24 hits needed to bunt, or hear a "Brother" thrown in there

Refreshing

5. Likes:

Big Klu (07-14-2019),BluegrassRedleg (07-14-2019),Chip R (07-15-2019),cumberlandreds (07-15-2019),goldglover9 (07-14-2019),mbgrayson (07-15-2019),NebraskaRed (07-14-2019),North (07-15-2019),Roy Tucker (07-15-2019),wally post (07-14-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I like him as a sideline type guy, but when it comes to actually calling a game and doing PBP, I dislike him almost as much as I do Thom. He isn’t unlikeable like Thom is, but he has absolutely no feel or actual voice for calling a game.

I would rather Dan Hoard take that spot with Welsh as the TV crew, they would actually have a pretty good one then rather than one that’s an actual annoyance.

7. Likes:

blakesta12 (07-16-2019),bucksfan2 (07-15-2019),CrackerJack (07-14-2019),Edd Roush (07-15-2019),Redeyecat (07-14-2019),RedsRocker (07-15-2019),redsrule2500 (07-16-2019),sjjones (07-17-2019),Tom Servo (07-14-2019)

He's average, which of course is way better then Thom.
    Go Gators!

9. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-15-2019),Big Klu (07-14-2019),cumberlandreds (07-15-2019),Edd Roush (07-15-2019),goldglover9 (07-14-2019),mbgrayson (07-15-2019),mgbrown66 (07-14-2019),NebraskaRed (07-14-2019),RedsRocker (07-15-2019),Roy Tucker (07-15-2019),westofyou (07-14-2019)

Jim just has a happy, positive homerism about him I haven’t felt from a Brennaman in about 20 years.

Not that this team deserves it, it’s just different. And refreshing.

11. Likes:

Big Klu (07-14-2019),TRF (07-15-2019),wlf WV (07-15-2019)

There's never a bad Jim Day at the ballpark.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

goreds2 (07-15-2019),JFLegal (07-15-2019)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Here's the thing I've been harping on for the past year or so: you don't need a play by play whiz on TV. The moving pictures provide the PBP.

What you need is non-cancerous narration of the moving pictures. Jim Day is really good at that. He's a delight, especially compared to our #1 PBP guy. If making him the regular TV guy keeps him off radio, we all win.

Along similar lines, Cowboy is way better on TV, when he can use replays and the telestrator to make points about pitching mechanics and technical elements of the game. He doesn't even try to paint clear, concise word pictures on radio, he just leans into his character. And Graves has been pretty great on radio color, and would also presumably be decent on TV (just as Welsh has been on-point in the rare radio outings I've heard).

Just sack Thom at the same time his dad leaves. Thrall and Day as radio and TV PBP, respectively (they're both young/new enough to be pretty much full-time without tons of days off). Color is a 3-headed rotating monster (Welsh and Cowboy have enough tenure to demand some off-days, so that's where Gravy comes in handy).

15. Likes:

Big Klu (07-14-2019),Chip R (07-15-2019),mbgrayson (07-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I like him as a sideline type guy, but when it comes to actually calling a game and doing PBP, I dislike him almost as much as I do Thom. He isn’t unlikeable like Thom is, but he has absolutely no feel or actual voice for calling a game.

I would rather Dan Hoard take that spot with Welsh as the TV crew, they would actually have a pretty good one then rather than one that’s an actual annoyance.
    Yeah, Day is really good...as a third man on the sidelines. Calling a game, I think he's below average. Being out of the market, I know the name Dan Hoard but I'm not familiar with his work. For FS Ohio games, I'd take Tommy Thrall or, even better, an established television PBP announcer that the Reds could poach from somewhere else.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-14-2019)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Jim Day is really bad at that role (really good in his sideline role) but anything is better than having to listen to Thom whine.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

19. Likes:

RedsRocker (07-15-2019)

Haunted by walks

I don’t think Thom will leave unless it’s for a bigger gig somewhere else that conflicts with a season of Reds baseball. And he’s not outrageous enough that Fox Sports Ohio would dump him. (They might actually prize his “takes.”) And he might be more likely to stay now that Marty is leaving.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah, Day is really good...as a third man on the sidelines. Calling a game, I think he's below average. Being out of the market, I know the name Dan Hoard but I'm not familiar with his work. For FS Ohio games, I'd take Tommy Thrall or, even better, an established television PBP announcer that the Reds could poach from somewhere else.
    Thrall is alright too, I like him on the radio.

Hoard has done a lot of broadcasting for the various Cincinnati sports teams. He’s the Bengals PBP guy on radio now, he’s done various sports for the UC. He’s even filled in a handful of games on WLW for the Reds the last couple years on the radio when Marty has been unavailable for various reasons and I think he still occasionally does the postgame show on FSO. It seemed like at one point about 10 years ago he had a job in the Reds booth pretty much presumed, but then he left Cincinnati for a while to do games for the Pawtucket Sox.

I think he’s pretty solid, he has a good voice for either radio and TV, and has a good feel when to lay on the energy and intensity and whatnot.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-15-2019),Redeyecat (07-14-2019),Tom Servo (07-15-2019)

Hoard has done a lot of broadcasting for the various Cincinnati sports teams. He’s the Bengals PBP guy on radio now, he’s done various sports for the UC. He’s even filled in a handful of games on WLW for the Reds the last couple years on the radio when Marty has been unavailable for various reasons and I think he still occasionally does the postgame show on FSO. It seemed like at one point about 10 years ago he had a job in the Reds booth pretty much presumed, but then he left Cincinnati for a while to do games for the Pawtucket Sox.

I think he’s pretty solid, he has a good voice for either radio and TV, and has a good feel when to lay on the energy and intensity and whatnot.
    I'm pretty sure Hoard's publicized dream job is to be the play-by-play announcer for the Reds. I thought he filled-in for a game or two a few years ago. He's ok, Jim Day is a typical company guy with a cheery disposition, which is what teams want these days.

Doesn't matter much to me, I tend to mute TV games any ways outside of a couple of innings. Today's "network banter" is just not something I want to listen to usually.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Thrall has a really good voice. My only "beef" with him so far is there's not much personality behind it. I guess that can develop with time, but as of right now, he just sounds like every generic radio play-by-play guy I've ever heard.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I vote for much less Jim Day pbp. He talked so much the other night I started to wonder if Welsh was at the ballpark until the 2nd inning; he couldn't get a word in.

While Jim day isn't the best PBP to ever come around he's much more pleasant to listen to than Thom's grouching about anything and everything. I like the PBP announcer in baseball to be at least pleasant. So for now I will take Day over Thommy all day long.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

27. Likes:

Big Klu (07-15-2019),goldglover9 (07-17-2019),RedsRocker (07-15-2019)

Turn Off Ads?