Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More Jim Day please

Re: More Jim Day please

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I do think Thom reads or hears about RedsZone. He’s said on the broadcast occasionally that “they give me a hard time about this” and bring up a topic that was on RedsZone.

I still think he’d be quite good if he just dialed it back some.
    Problem is that it's been over a decade now and he still hasn't 'dialed it back'. He isn't going to.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-15-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Problem is that it's been over a decade now and he still hasn't 'dialed it back'. He isn't going to.
    Tell me about it Brother

5. Likes:

Chip R (07-17-2019),jwdoc77 (07-17-2019),OGB (07-16-2019),RedsRocker (07-15-2019),Rolando (07-15-2019),Ron Madden (07-15-2019),Tom Servo (07-15-2019)

Thom would fit right in our game threads lately
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 07-15-2019 at 03:12 PM.

7. Likes:

Big Klu (07-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Thom would feel right at home in our game threads lately
    I don't disagree with you but the only problem is we're just staying he actually get paid nice money to not act like a fan
    Crazy Reds Fan

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Thom would fit right in our game threads lately
    If we had a dime for every David Bell sucks mention we'd all be drinking many Grape Barqs at the Pony Keg

11. Likes:

Big Klu (07-15-2019),Ron Madden (07-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Williams said somewhere he and people in the front office occasionally read Redszone. I’m like nearly positive Welsh has an account lol.
    Hahaha that was from the Reddit ama. So funny.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Here’s the thread: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...illiams+reddit

Dick’s post about RZ is mid-page.

I LOL’d at WM’s response to me calling a hot dog a gyro for the 17th time.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-15-2019)

If I had to listen to Jim Day on the radio or watch him on T. V broadcast, I'd monitor the game from my phone. Him and Welch are too much of homers for me. Thom is like his old man. Calls it as he sees it. Does he hold on to things too long? Sometimes. But I'd rather listen to him than Day coming up with player nicknames or lame, corny jokes. Thom evens out Welchs "company man" personality well. Heck, Welch even kisses Day's butt from time to time. Thom over Day

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    If I had to listen to Jim Day on the radio or watch him on T. V broadcast, I'd monitor the game from my phone. Him and Welch are too much of homers for me. Thom is like his old man. Calls it as he sees it. Does he hold on to things too long? Sometimes. But I'd rather listen to him than Day coming up with player nicknames or lame, corny jokes. Thom evens out Welchs "company man" personality well. Heck, Welch even kisses Day's butt from time to time. Thom over Day
    I think Welsh evens out all the others.

17. Likes:

wlf WV (07-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    Thom is like his old man. Calls it as he sees it.
    It's a shame he's looking at a game that he wants to see played and not the one that is. He's demanding a style of game that does not exist today, and bemoans today's players as lacking in what made the players of his youth (Rose) great.

It's short sighted. It's disrespectful. He is passively denigrating the product he is paid to endorse. He thinks clutch is a thing and not merely anecdotal, and doesn't understand that good hitters over time are good hitters in almost every situation. He thinks the micro is the macro all the time. He thinks trading an out for a base every time is how the game should be played. The problem with that is he doesn't understand how the "Get em on" works in "Get em on, get em over, get em in" phrase. In the micro, runner on 1B, 1 out pitcher up. Pitcher fails to get bunt down. That will result in a five minute rant about how said pitcher has to get that done. That he's failed, that no one practices this anymore. yada. yada. yada. Meanwhile, said pitcher has 9 K's in 5 IP and is dominating on the mound.

He does this time after time.

It's not the voice. He's got a great voice. It's not the PBP, he handles that fairly well. It's his commentary. It's an antiquated view of the game shaped by the lens of his father and the BRM. And the qualities he seems to hate in today's players, the qualities that a number of former player turned announcers have of current players and the way they play is hypocrisy at best.

And it's how he ignores the action on the field for the innane conversation that only he is really interested in.

But here is an interesting way to really see how bad he is. Compare Welsh/Thom to Welsh/Day. Welsh is much more forthcoming with analytics with Day, and less tongue in cheek. Thom slams nearly every metric simply because he doesn't understand a single one. I recall Thom thrashing exit velocity because the player at the time was hitting about .215. Now, that's a really low number, but exit velocity doesn't care about batting average. It relates only to how hard a ball is hit, and therefore how much damage said batted ball can do. That's the great thing about statistical analysis, you can break down performance to see weakness and strength, and then how to fix things. Players that in the past might have been ignored for a variety of reasons are now looked at differently.

But Thom will never see that. It honestly seems like he actively dislikes the game.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

19. Likes:

919191 (07-19-2019),Big Klu (07-16-2019),Chip R (07-17-2019),faffy42 (07-16-2019),goldglover9 (07-17-2019),mgbrown66 (07-16-2019),Ron Madden (07-16-2019),Wonderful Monds (07-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    But Thom will never see that. It honestly seems like he actively dislikes the game.
    He does, he and Joe Buck both, they only do baseball because their Dad's did/do.
    Go Gators!

21. Likes:

Chip R (07-17-2019),Wonderful Monds (07-16-2019)

Thom is very irritating to me also. Every time I hear him say, straight up in the air, or mark it down Dr, plus a few of his other typical phrases, I want to throw the remote at the tv. On the other hand Jim Day does not irritate me nearly as much. It's not that important to me for him to be the best pbp guy. I can see what's going on. He knows the players and he's an easy going guy that's not great but not terrible either. I'm ok with him because I like him. I've noticed many people on here like the Cowboy, I don't. He rubs me wrong. One thing he does a lot that I can't stand is he acts like he is some kind of baseball psychiatrist, by analyzing what's is going on in a players mind. There are a few other things he does I don't care for that I may get to later when I have more time, but right now I have some steaks on the grill. I especially don't like Thom and the Cowboy together. I could care less about what or how much Cowboy eats.

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-16-2019)

He still bangs

Yes to this thread, whoever posted it.

25. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-16-2019)

Day > Thom
    To me it seems Thom wants to talk about non related baseball stuff waaaaay too much. I think he gets bored of baseball, and the team. I dont want to hear personal stories, just baseball commentary please.

I can understand not liking Thom. But you don't like Cowboy? Then I got nothing for ya

Turn Off Ads?