Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winker injury

Re: Winker injury

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Roark, Puig, and Iglesias are the only pending FA that have given us any value this year. There's virtually no way the Reds could spend the 30+ million they paid Scooter, Wood and Kemp this year and get worse production out of it next season. Puig will be the hardest FA to replace because I just don't see much out there.
    I am not saying we should sign Scooter. The problem is that one reason the offense has struggled this year vs previous years is because Scooter has been hurt.
    2b is a problem this year (other than the one month where Dietrich played like an MVP). That will have to be addressed. Maybe Senzel moves to 2b and the Reds have to pick up another OF.

SS will need to be addressed.
    At least 2 more relievers will have to be added.
    1-2 starting pitchers will have to be added.
    Puig will have to be signed or replaced.

It will be a challenge next year to beat the 2019 record, and the 2019 team is really not that good. 2019 team is not embarrassing like the last 4 years, but still not that good.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I am not saying we should sign Scooter. The problem is that one reason the offense has struggled this year vs previous years is because Scooter has been hurt.
    2b is a problem this year (other than the one month where Dietrich played like an MVP). That will have to be addressed. Maybe Senzel moves to 2b and the Reds have to pick up another OF.

SS will need to be addressed.
    At least 2 more relievers will have to be added.
    1-2 starting pitchers will have to be added.
    Puig will have to be signed or replaced.

It will be a challenge next year to beat the 2019 record, and the 2019 team is really not that good. 2019 team is not embarrassing like the last 4 years, but still not that good.
    I respect this view, but really feel totally otherwise. This next off-season is the biggest buying opportunity I've seen for the Reds, virtually ever. Mostly because the $28 million Bailey contract and its progeny (Kemp, etc.) will be off the books. The Reds only have a handful of LTCs, only one (Votto) that is very substantial.

And while they have needs, they begin with the best starting pitching staff in their division. This has always been their bugaboo, getting starting pitching. Now, add somebody, sure, but they begin with the current rotation absent FA Roark.

Every addition doesn't have to be big ticket, look what they got from Gray, Jose Iglesias, Dietrich, guys picked up without spending a fortune. I could see Scooter and Iglesias re-signed for next year rather cheaply under the circumstances if Reds want.

I don't see the pessimism about next season, frankly. Reds should be in very good shape going into the winter.

4. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-16-2019),JCM11 (07-16-2019),OGB (07-16-2019),REDREAD (07-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It's been two games.

Winker looked great in CF in the few games he played.

Casali looked solid the entire second half of last year.
    To be fair farmer definitely has not been joke back there. I'm really glad that Jesse is okay too
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Casali looked solid the entire second half of last year.
    And pretty much all of this year.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

nice hit Winker got last night to start a rally.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 1995 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

8. Likes:

JCM11 (07-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I respect this view, but really feel totally otherwise. This next off-season is the biggest buying opportunity I've seen for the Reds, virtually ever. Mostly because the $28 million Bailey contract and its progeny (Kemp, etc.) will be off the books. The Reds only have a handful of LTCs, only one (Votto) that is very substantial.

And while they have needs, they begin with the best starting pitching staff in their division. This has always been their bugaboo, getting starting pitching. Now, add somebody, sure, but they begin with the current rotation absent FA Roark.

Every addition doesn't have to be big ticket, look what they got from Gray, Jose Iglesias, Dietrich, guys picked up without spending a fortune. I could see Scooter and Iglesias re-signed for next year rather cheaply under the circumstances if Reds want.

I don't see the pessimism about next season, frankly. Reds should be in very good shape going into the winter.
    I can respect this view too.
    Hopefully they spend freely and wisely this offseason.
    I hope we don't hear the "most of the money saved from Kemp will go into raises for the existing team" argument again.

Roark has had a fantastic year, he will be hard to replace on a budget. I mean, even if Roark was resigned, it would be hard to expect him to replicate this year again, based on his history.

I worry about the bullpen next year too, esp the way the good pitchers are being ridden hard this year.

I think it's going to take some bold moves (like maybe trading Winker or Garrett) that work out in order to be competitive next year. Payflex alone, even if spent, is not likely to get them significantly better. Likely loss of Puig is big as well.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    OK, we'll agree to disagree. I think chances of trading Disco are very slim.
    Agree, I wouldn’t pencil Mahle in any starting lineup for next year. That would leave us needing 3 starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    To be fair farmer definitely has not been joke back there. I'm really glad that Jesse is okay too
    A lot of people around here had either forgotten or were unaware that Farmer had started more games at C in the minors than all other positions combined.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    I think we need to move Casali and let Farmer get a shot. I’s really like to move Ticker and keep Casali because he has a better bat IMo but TB has a contract I don’t think we can move and Casali is kind of shaky on defense. Either way, one need to go to give Farmer a shot. We need more offensive production from that position in 2020. The days of light hitting middle of the field players is over. Need production from those 4 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    A lot of people around here had either forgotten or were unaware that Farmer had started more games at C in the minors than all other positions combined.
    I agree and it was a point I was making to it's like doesn't have experience.
    Crazy Reds Fan

15. Likes:

Big Klu (07-16-2019)

Turn Off Ads?