Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds had scouts at Bauer vs. Boyd last night

Re: Reds had scouts at Bauer vs. Boyd last night

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Three way trade maybe? or the Reds just want their scouts to do something.
    Three-way trades are hard to pull off at the trade deadline. Too many moving parts.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Boyd was originally drafted by the Reds in the 13th round in 2012. I have to say given the lack luster performance of our top prospects this year I would have to give serious thought to trading for Boyd if Detroit was interested. A left handed starter striking out 12 per 9 innings and not walking anyone is awfully tempting. I trust that our pitching coach could get even more out of him. I wouldn't mind penciling him in behind Castillo and Sonny the next 3 years.
    Agree. I hate home run pitchers, but I could live with Boyd easily. If they get him, might want to trade out of Disco or Mahle, or both, also HR pitchers. But Castillo, Gray, Boyd would be a heck of a rotation filled out with two lesser guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    It has become clear the Indians are shopping Bauer as he will be owed too much soon and they are trying to thread the needle as they say ie bring back talent but cheaper. 1 playoff run of Puig though does not equal 2 playoff runs from Bauer. But why would the Reds want Bauer for a playoff run. Does not make sense to me. Atlanta, SD or LA does.

Puig to Cleveland though does make sense.
    Why would they trade Bauer in-season? Surely it's a bigger market with a bigger potential return after the season. They're reeling in the Twins. Win now, trade later.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (07-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Why would they trade Bauer in-season? Surely it's a bigger market with a bigger potential return after the season. They're reeling in the Twins. Win now, trade later.
    I don’t know but they’ll get a bigger turn for him and won’t be able to resign long term....Kluber returning soon will replace Bauer. They’ve made this huge run with Bauer being ok but not great and no Kluber

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I don’t know but they’ll get a bigger turn for him and won’t be able to resign long term....Kluber returning soon will replace Bauer. They’ve made this huge run with Bauer being ok but not great and no Kluber
    They also didn’t have Clevenger for a chunk of the season and lost Carrasco as well.

That’s gotta be the best run team in baseball, and Francona is worth every penny they’re paying him plus some.

8. Likes:

M2 (07-19-2019),Powder River (07-20-2019),REDREAD (07-20-2019),Revering4Blue (07-19-2019),Tribe Guy (07-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    They also didn’t have Clevenger for a chunk of the season and lost Carrasco as well.

That’s gotta be the best run team in baseball, and Francona is worth every penny they’re paying him plus some.
    I thought they had a pretty poor offseason, lot of options available and yet they rolled into the season with a very questionable outfield.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I thought they had a pretty poor offseason, lot of options available and yet they rolled into the season with a very questionable outfield.
    Agreed. I thought they were dead in June too when they had all those pitchers go down and were 11 back, but somehow, and I’d love to learn their secret, they’re right there, leading the WC race and have cut the Twins lead to 4. They deserve a lot of credit for what they’ve done this year with what I thought was a very suspect lineup. Santana resurrecting was huge for them. He’s carried their offense quite a bit.
    Last edited by Tracy Jones; 07-19-2019 at 06:57 PM.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (07-20-2019),Revering4Blue (07-19-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Three-way trades are hard to pull off at the trade deadline. Too many moving parts.
    I just tried to put one together on a trade simulator and couldn't do it. Thinking just trade with Tigers...Boyd and Greene for Mahle, India and a few more parts.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Best time to get the bigger return is after the season. More teams have more money and visions of next October dancing in their heads. Fans also will understand at that juncture rather than be furious at moving a key SP when they're in a playoff spot. In the meantime, add Kluber to Bauer and try to win a World Series.
    Last edited by M2; 07-19-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (07-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why not? The Indians are notorious for not signing players. The team that is refusing to throw money at Lindor is going to sign Puig?

Puig wants to test FA either way.
    Puig seems to like it in Cincinnati, but if he gets a taste of playing for a quality organization like Cleveland before the season is over, he won't return.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Puig seems to like it in Cincinnati, but if he gets a taste of playing for a quality organization like Cleveland before the season is over, he won't return.
    He played almost his entire career up to this point with one of the most quality orgs in baseball.

Again, folks, he’s not resigning here.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He played almost his entire career up to this point with one of the most quality orgs in baseball.

Again, folks, he’s not resigning here.
    And for some reason, the Dodgers had a less than favorable opinion of him. (I don't know why -- everything I have seen of him indicates to me that he is a good teammate.)

I'm not saying he will sign here, but he's been treated better here than he was in LA. But if he's traded away before the season is over, then no, he won't be back.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That is what tribe fans are asking. There is no way they would trade Bauer with Kluber, Carrasco out and just a few games out now is what they say but there is too much chatter especially for the usually tight lipped Indians for it not to be true. Think they are leaking to get the fans ready for it. Cutting so much payroll over the winter and not adding anything of note was similarly confusing and the early results of the season reflected their off season. Fortunately some of their smaller moves paid off (the FO did their best with a bad situation) with Mercado, Luplow and Plesac coming through to salvage the offense.

At the end of the day the FO has been told they need to move Bauer and his upcoming salary increase (likely 20 mill). They will get more from him now then in the off season. I agree it is a big mistake but so was letting Brantley walk without replacing him outside of washed up NRI's.

Tito remarked it is difficult to throw when there are trade rumors swirling. It is coming. The hope is Kluber comes back soon and regains form (unlikely imo) and/or Carrasco.

Turn Off Ads?