Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Castellini be stubborn, or allow his front office to be sellers?

Will Castellini be stubborn, or allow his front office to be sellers?

reds are complete toast at this point, and i fear the only person who doesn't know it is bob castellini.

remember the infamous quote when jocketty was asked one year (when the reds were clearly out of it) if the reds would be sellers at the deadline. his response: "do you know who i work for?"

all of the good reds' players who are playing on contracts that will expire in a little over 2 months should be actively shopped. this includes puig (although i would prefer the reds sign him long-term, or slap the qualifying offer on him if they don't trade him).

sell, bob, sell. don't be stubborn.

2. Likes:

DocRed (07-27-2019),REDREAD (07-29-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Castellini be stubborn, or allow his front office to be sellers?

I don’t want the Reds to be buyers or sellers. I want them to be smart. For example. If the plan is to give Puig a QO and try to resign. Stick to it. Unless, of course, a can’t pass up deal happens. Make smart trades. Don’t trade just to sell.

5. Likes:

jimbo (07-27-2019),OGB (07-27-2019),RedForLife (07-27-2019),sjjones (07-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    reds are complete toast at this point, and i fear the only person who doesn't know it is bob castellini.

remember the infamous quote when jocketty was asked one year (when the reds were clearly out of it) if the reds would be sellers at the deadline. his response: "do you know who i work for?"

all of the good reds' players who are playing on contracts that will expire in a little over 2 months should be actively shopped. this includes puig (although i would prefer the reds sign him long-term, or slap the qualifying offer on him if they don't trade him).

sell, bob, sell. don't be stubborn.
    But isn’t a true “seller” trading Puig, first and foremost? This post hedges the bet.

The rest of these free agent guys will get you table scraps. Is selling them that important? Are Jared Hughes or Gennett bringing a significant return right now? Maybe Roark gets you a decent prospect, that’s one guy.

The general admonition to sell impending free agents is a legitimate view point (not mine), but it’s mostly for show with the Reds’ group. if you really want to sell down, sell the guy with the most immediate value.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-27-2019 at 11:37 AM.

7. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-27-2019)

I dont have a problem with us admitting we're done and selling, but what is the point if you're going to get scraps for essentially a 2 month rental player? This team is at least fun and entertaining, if we cant get anything of consequence in a trade deal Id much rather just finish the season out with this group. As fun a Reds team to watch as we've had in several seasons.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (07-27-2019),jimbo (07-27-2019),Puffy (07-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    I dont have a problem with us admitting we're done and selling, but what is the point if you're going to get scraps for essentially a 2 month rental player? This team is at least fun and entertaining, if we cant get anything of consequence in a trade deal Id much rather just finish the season out with this group. As fun a Reds team to watch as we've had in several seasons.
    Part of me agrees with that, and another part of me says scraps can become Suarez or Castillo.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Part of me agrees with that, and another part of me says scraps can become Suarez or Castillo.
    Neither Suarez nor Castillo was a deadline deal, and both were traded for starting pitchers coming off very good seasons. So yes consider a trade for Roark (especially with Wood returning) and examine options for Puig (likely a QO candidate).

But beyond that, it’s a decision between keeping some semblance of this team together this year vs. trading for filler.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-27-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Neither Suarez nor Castillo was a deadline deal, and both were traded for starting pitchers coming off very good seasons. So yes consider a trade for Roark (especially with Wood returning) and examine options for Puig (likely a QO candidate).

But beyond that, it’s a decision between keeping some semblance of this team together this year vs. trading for filler.
    It was meant to be a for example of guys that weren’t seen as too notch gets at the time becoming top notch performers. Your point in the timing is valid though.

I think Roark could get a decent return. Plus with Wood coming back, that rotation spot could be filled.

I think we can all agree the Reds aren't going to the post season this year. Every single FA to be can be signed by the Reds in the off season if they are traded at the deadline. Puig is the only one you can make an argument for giving a QO to so he's the only one it makes sense to keep unless you get a great trade offer. Roark isn't going to turn down a deal with the Reds this offseason if it's the best offer on the table just because we traded him to a contender in July.

This bunch has looked like the 2015-2018 Reds since the ASB. I would move any player on the team for the right return because what we have now isn't working, and there isn't any Acuna Jr or Tatis Jr waiting in the wings.

14. Likes:

#13 (07-27-2019),goldglover9 (07-27-2019)

But isn’t a true “seller” trading Puig, first and foremost? This post hedges the bet.

The rest of these free agent guys will get you table scraps. Is selling them that important? Are Jared Hughes or Gennett bringing a significant return right now? Maybe Roark gets you a decent prospect, that’s one guy.

The general admonition to sell impending free agents is a legitimate view point (not mine), but it’s mostly for show with the Reds’ group. if you really want to sell down, sell the guy with the most immediate value.
    i don't think it's hedging at all. like oldschool1983 said, i would shop puig, but i wouldn't trade him unless the reds got a really good return (might need to package him with someone like roark to get a top prospect of course). puig is the one guy i would have a high price tag on, but i would certainly shop him around and see what the best offer for him was.

also, no one is advocating trading for scrap heaps. if teams don't want to give up anything of value, the reds can tell them to pound sand. but all it takes is one team to play ball. if the reds package a few of their players together, they could get a really nice prospect or two.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 07-27-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Haunted by walks

If the Reds become sellers, are we looking at 2023 at the earliest? Or were the players the Reds can sell short-termers anyway? Will the Reds just restock with next year’s Puig and Roark (trying not to draw down the farm even more)?

I think I’m in favor of keeping them through the end of the season, since the return won’t be great, while keeping a few for next year that make sense — like Sonny Gray and maybe Alex Wood.

Maybe the plan is to keep a few prospects (Trammel, India), trade a few, keep a few from trades (Sonny Gray), churn a few, and fill the gaps with some more one-year market inefficient major league talent.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i don't think it's hedging at all. like oldschool1983 said, i would shop puig, but i wouldn't trade him unless the reds got a really good return (might need to package him with someone like roark to get a top prospect of course). puig is the one guy i would have a high price tag on, but i would certainly shop him around and see what the best offer for him was.

also, no one is advocating trading for scrap heaps. if teams don't want to give up anything of value, the reds can tell them to pound sand. but all it takes is one team to play ball. if the reds package a few of their players together, they could get a really nice prospect or two.
    The OP post discusses one-year impending FAs. What FA packages are Reds to offer? Hughes and Hernandez? Point is this is all nice theory, but the reality is two names - Roark and Puig.

Everything else brings you filler whether in a package or alone.

If you go beyond impending FAs, then it’s a different discussion. Iglesias could get you salary relief, I’d do that at this point, even if middling prospects. But among FAs, this is essentially a two player discussion.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (07-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I think we can all agree the Reds aren't going to the post season this year. Every single FA to be can be signed by the Reds in the off season if they are traded at the deadline. Puig is the only one you can make an argument for giving a QO to so he's the only one it makes sense to keep unless you get a great trade offer. Roark isn't going to turn down a deal with the Reds this offseason if it's the best offer on the table just because we traded him to a contender in July.

This bunch has looked like the 2015-2018 Reds since the ASB. I would move any player on the team for the right return because what we have now isn't working, and there isn't any Acuna Jr or Tatis Jr waiting in the wings.
    We've been over this time and time again. Roark and Puig would feel disrespected if we traded them and therefor would not re-sign with the Reds this winter - even if it was the largest offer on the table. It would also scare away other free agents from signing here, as they also don't want to be traded mid-season down the road.

Therefor we must keep them over the next 2 months. In addition, winning 72 games is going to make this club much more entertaining than a 68 win club without them.

Why on earth would you want to see VanMeter, Aquino, Ervin, etc. get playing time.

Has Cast stopped the trading of any impending free agents?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

it’s a decision between keeping some semblance of this team together this year
    why in the hell would anyone care at all about keeping a team together that completely sucks?

22. Likes:

1990worldchamps (07-27-2019),50YrRedsFan (07-27-2019),JCM11 (07-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    We've been over this time and time again. Roark and Puig would feel disrespected if we traded them and therefor would not re-sign with the Reds this winter - even if it was the largest offer on the table. It would also scare away other free agents from signing here, as they also don't want to be traded mid-season down the road.

Therefor we must keep them over the next 2 months. In addition, winning 72 games is going to make this club much more entertaining than a 68 win club without them.

Why on earth would you want to see VanMeter, Aquino, Ervin, etc. get playing time.
    I can't tell if this entire post is sarcasm or not. I don't see how giving guys a chance to go to the post season is "disrespectful".

24. Likes:

1990worldchamps (07-27-2019),JaxRed (07-27-2019)

Turn Off Ads?