Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing the gap ONE DAY AT A TIME.....

Closing the gap ONE DAY AT A TIME.....

Coming into the season, I had two primary goals for the team. First, I wanted to end the season with a winning record, and second I wanted the team to make a playoff appearance. It is a long shot at this point, but I am still hoping the team can achieve one of the goals at a minimum. Clearly the most important element is for the Reds to simply win their games on the schedule, and to move up in the standings the Reds need specific teams to lose. Since we can't win 7 games in a day or likely within a week, we just need to close the gap each day of the week.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    07/29/2019

- 7 Games below .500
    - 7 Games out of Division Lead
    - 7 Game out of Wild Card Slot

Pirates @ Reds - prefer Reds win
    Braves @ Nationals - prefer Braves win
    Diamondbacks @ Marlins - prefer Marlins win
    Dodgers @ Rockies - prefer Dodgers win
    Orioles @ Padres - prefer Orioles win

2. Likes:

Rolando (07-29-2019),smixsell (08-07-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Closing the gap ONE DAY AT A TIME.....

Good post. But keep in mind Reds averaged over 95 losses for four seasons. So even if they finish a bit short of your goals, they can still show vast improvement.

They're not going to make the playoffs.

And, while finishing at or above .500 would feel like progress to fans, a lot of this team isn't coming back next season. So, internally, I'm not sure that benchmark means anything. If they moved their pending free agents and then went on a run to .500, that would be worth some high fives.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

6. Likes:

Alabama (07-29-2019),mth123 (07-30-2019),wlf WV (07-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Good post. But keep in mind Reds averaged over 95 losses for four seasons. So even if they finish a bit short of your goals, they can still show vast improvement.
    You aren't wrong, but that fact depresses me.

We've become so conditioned to losing that being *less* of a failure seems like a win. I really wish this ownership group would sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

8. Likes:

Tommyjohn25 (07-30-2019)

My goals were in this order:
    1-don’t finish last(we had the longest streak in MLB of not finishing last from 1983-2014 and have now finished last 4 years in a row)
    2-win at least 70 games
    3-don’t lose over 90 games
    4-finish .500 or better
    5-make the playoffs
    6-advance in the playoffs
    7-win the NLCS
    8-win the World Series

I think we could hit 1-3 this year. Baby steps people. Baby steps.

I liked Valerie Bertinelli

11. Likes:

Big Klu (07-29-2019),CarolinaRedleg (08-05-2019),Chip R (08-05-2019),klw (07-29-2019),M2 (07-29-2019),Shoeless Jeff (07-30-2019),Tadasimha (08-05-2019),Tribe Guy (07-29-2019),WrongVerb (07-29-2019)

I like what the FO did. They made a very good deal for Roark and a creative, gutsy deal to clear the whole org. of the Bailey issue and add some talent from LA. In doing so, I think they gave up better prospects than most people on here realized: the Dodgers, as usual, knew what they were doing. But the need to get beyond Bailey was paramount. This year they are distinctly more competitive, but they really haven't gotten as much out of the trade as one could have hoped. Wood has contributed next to nothing, Kemp was a negative, Puig really didn't get going till it was too late. The important thing, now, IMHO, is not to compound the mistakes. I'd sell, not for nothing, for some value if that's still possible, and I would not risk wasting next year by doing stuff like giving QO's to a pitcher with a bad back and another who will be 33. Bad use of money. I'd also be careful about getting older--i.e. don't extend Scooter. Look for a solid rotation piece in the offseason and add two good relief arms. If we do that, even a very mediocre offense next year should put this team in contention in this era of general mediocrity.

13. Likes:

JCM11 (07-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    So did Eddie Van Halen.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (08-05-2019),cumberlandreds (07-30-2019),Old school 1983 (07-29-2019)

If Reds finish around .500 it will be a major step forward.

Four of the five starting pitchers - the area of most improvement - are scheduled to return. Some players will leave but there is ample payroll flexibility to replace them, if not better.

Team lost 381 games in four years, there’s a good reason to be pleased if they can stay within the vicinity of .500.

17. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-30-2019),Stingray (08-02-2019),wlf WV (07-30-2019)

Four of the five starting pitchers - the area of most improvement - are scheduled to return. Some players will leave but there is ample payroll flexibility to replace them, if not better.

Team lost 381 games in four years, there’s a good reason to be pleased if they can stay within the vicinity of .500.
    Not really. Besides a lower draft pick, there is zero difference in losing 90 games and finishing 500. Sure, it will make some fans happy, but there will be no tangible gain to the ball club

4 of the 5? Are you counting Mahle instead of Wood?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    4 of the 5? Are you counting Mahle instead of Wood?
    Yes, the rotation for most of the season has included Mahle.

If you want to add Wood, then it’s four out of six scheduled to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    I assumed this thread would be about the REds signing someone called Scheider.

22. Likes:

Tadasimha (08-05-2019),Tracy Jones (07-30-2019)

Yes, the rotation for most of the season has included Mahle.

If you want to add Wood, then it’s four out of six scheduled to return.
    Ah, in my mind the reds need to add 2 SPs next year, as I don’t think Mahle is good enough.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ah, in my mind the reds need to add 2 SPs next year, as I don’t think Mahle is good enough.
    Understandable viewpoint, and I don’t know how the Reds will handle it. Either way the SP has gone from a horrible weakness to an area of strength, although needing some addition next season.

25. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-30-2019),RedTeamGo! (07-29-2019),wlf WV (07-30-2019)

Turn Off Ads?