Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different kind of prospect list

A different kind of prospect list

These are some intriguing questions from/about a list of guys that aren't the usual suspects. It appears the Reds now have this "skunk works" in Arizona where they re-work pitchers mechanics. (and maybe hitters too).

Brandon Finnegan - 2018 was a disaster for Finnegan, and spring training for 2019 was even worse with an ERA approaching 20. It was obvious that the wheels had come off. The Reds outrighted him, and then sent him to the skunk works to re-work things. He didn't reappear until July 26th, when he showed up for AA Chattanooga. He's thrown 2 appearances, 3 total innings, and has not been scored upon. Walked one hitter.

Now I figure the odds are about 25%, but there's a successful major league pitcher somewhere in there. If he somehow comes back that would be huge.

Chad Tromp - Chad has never been much of a hitter. 2018 was pretty typical. Split time between AA and AAA and hit 2 homers with a .675 OPS. This season he's nowhere to be found till June 17th when he shows up a a "rehab" stint with Az Reds. He spends an entire month with Az Reds (as opposed to the usual 4-5 days) before going on to AAA. He hit pretty well in Az as you would hope, but he's also been hitting in AAA. 4 homers in 18 at bats with a 1.506 OPS. So I wonder if the skunk works has been working on Tromp. Reds catching pipeline is super slim, so if they somehow turned Tromp into a hitter....... I figure the odds are 10%, but I'm monitoring.

Ryan Hendrix - in 2018 in Daytona, Hendrix has a 1.76 ERA. 51 innings, 38 hits, 79 K's. He starts out this year in AA and pitches 10 innings of 0.00 ERA, 6 hits, 15 K's, before going on DL. He's just reappeared in Az. 3 appearances, 3 innings, 0.00 ERA, 1 hit, 5 K's and i doesn't look like he's thrown a ball yet. All strikes. Like to see him get back to AA and see if they dominating numbers are for real. Odds - 50%

Noah Davis - In 2018 draft Reds thought enough about him to make him their #11 pick, and throw $125K at him even though he had just had TJ surgery. He's finally reappeared. Made a couple uninspiring stints in AZ, but Reds sent him to Billings anyway. He just started and had a 4 shutout inning outing. Unlike first 3 guys who could affect the Reds shortly if they were for real, this one is just someone to watch climb the system possibly.

Sal Romano - He was a release candidate in my mind a month ago, since he was mediocre as both a starter and reliever for a couple years at both AAA and majors. All of a sudden starting June 26th, Romano seems to have found the magic beans. While mostly starting, he has taken his ERA from 6.18 to 4.70. And he gets a 3 inning stint in Cincy where he gives up 1 run. (ERA 3.00). I would have him starting ASAP in AAA and depending on results there and trades, I would have him starting in Cincy. Odds are maybe 10%, but if all of a sudden Romano is a competent major league starter? Huge.

Andy Fisher - UDFA out of Illinois this year, he pitched 20 innings of 0.87 ERA ball in Greeneville, then gets promoted to Dayton and now has a 0.00 ERA there after 8 innings. (1 hit, 9 k's, 0 walks). He's got a funky, sidearm, lefty delivery and throws the ball slow and then slower. Not the kind of guy that normally gets past AA unless you keep putting up crazy numbers.

Connor Bennett - Put up big strikeout totals as closer in Dayton this year. 2.27 ERA. 39 innings, 63 K's. Just got promoted to Daytona. Has 1.13 ERA after 8 innings. But just 8 K's. Bears watching.

Yomil Maysonet - This is the official Missing Persons Report for Yomil. Guy was drafted #6 last year. And got $250K. He pitched 5 very bad innings for Az Reds last year. He was listed on this years minor league spring training list of players. And nothing..... his Milb page says active but not on any roster. Have you noticed we have not had much success recently with guys from Puerto Rico?

Dauri Moreta - Didn't pitch well in Billings or Dayton in 2018 but still got promoted to Daytona this year. Reliever has 1.87 ERA in 43 innings. 34 hits, 50 K's. Unscored upon in last 9 appearances.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 07-29-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

Boston Red (07-30-2019),CrackerJack (08-02-2019),dfs (07-29-2019),Fil3232 (07-29-2019),fondfoat (08-05-2019),Griffey012 (07-30-2019),JCM11 (08-02-2019),mace (07-29-2019),Tom Servo (07-30-2019),TRF (07-30-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A different kind of prospect list

The performance facility in Arizona is real and providing results. Bren Spillane, for example, took a trip there and came back a different player.

And then Spillane got hurt. Someone acted like it could be a long IR stint.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    The performance facility in Arizona is real and providing results. Bren Spillane, for example, took a trip there and came back a different player.
    Wyatt Strahan also had some success, though he seems to have fallen back off the wagon with two 6 run disasters in July. But they did at least fix his BB problem.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Good thread, Some of these guys who missed a bunch of the year should probably go to the AFL to get some work. Hendrix and Tromp seem like candidates. I wonder if Finnegan would go as a guy with big league experience.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Love looking at prospect lists in different ways.

My favorite has always been positionally, a prospect ranking based on each position factoring in age. Just gives me a quick glance at strengths and weaknesses where the organization needs to focus on balancing the organization and where they can trade from strength.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Do we know what the heck is going on with Nick Hanson at all?
    "Do we need to have 280 brands of breakfast cereal? No, probably not. But we have them for a reason - because some people like them. It's the same with baseball statistics." ~ Bill James

Update(s) - Finnegan threw 2 more innings of scoreless baseball. 5 sinning now. 2 hits, 6 K's 1 walk.
    Hendrix thew another 2 inning stint in AZ. Now 0.00, 5 innings, 1 hit, 8 k's, 0 walks
    Romano starting tonight for Louisville. Happy to see they are using him as starter still.
    Andy Fisher threw 4 more innings of shutout ball. Relieved Lodolo's last start. Hopefully moves into rotation now that Lodolo is done.
    Tromp has homered in 2 straight games since this came out. OPS now 1.561 !

11. Likes:

Kc61 (08-01-2019)

Hendrix back to AA

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    And then Spillane got hurt. Someone acted like it could be a long IR stint.
    He may be back before the end of the season. Only time will tell for sure though

A couple more updates.

Romano threw 2 shutout innings in his start. He came out because he was hit behind the knee with a batted ball. He pitched and retired two more batters and then came out. He wasn't totally sharp but it was scoreless.

Tromp has now homered in 5 straight games and 7 in AAA overall. 7 homers in 28 at bats as compared to 2018 when he hit 2 in 259 at bats. Doug Gray said he had shoulder surgery over winter. Between that and possibly a tutorial at the sunk works, we seem to have a different guy. Just possibly..... Tromp is our #1 catching prospect?

Noah Davis started tonight and gave up 1 run in 4 innings. 1.13 ERA

Connor Bennett has pitched one inning since the original post. 1 inning, 3 K's.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-02-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Tromp has now homered in 5 straight games and 7 in AAA overall. 7 homers in 28 at bats as compared to 2018 when he hit 2 in 259 at bats. Doug Gray said he had shoulder surgery over winter. Between that and possibly a tutorial at the sunk works, we seem to have a different guy. Just possibly..... Tromp is our #1 catching prospect?
    For what it's worth, Tromp has been my #1 catcher prospect for several years now. Not that that means much. lol

Anyone have an update on Calton Daal?

Tromp doubled and missed a homer by a foot yesterday. Hendrix and Finnegan each pitched a scoreless inning but both were a little lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Deagle View Post
    Anyone have an update on Calton Daal?
    Two for five in Chattanooga last night. He's having a decent year with the bat and should be in the bigs by the time he's 43.

He has no power and his speed hasn't returned, so he looks like a longshot.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 08-04-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?