Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 257

Thread: Offseason Hitting Targets

  1. #181
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    14,438

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    I think a lot depends on whether the DH goes into effect for 2020. If so, that opens a lot of options for the Reds.

    But we can't assume that. So my first target is still Didi Gregarious.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #182
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    19,735

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think a lot depends on whether the DH goes into effect for 2020. If so, that opens a lot of options for the Reds.

    But we can't assume that. So my first target is still Didi Gregarious.
    Who would you rather have?

    Didi - SS, Senzel - CF, VanMeter - 2B

    Iglesias or Galvis - SS, Starling Marte - CF, Senzel - 2B

    More than one way to improve the offense, and defense. One of Iglesias/Galvis at SS and Senzel at 2B up the middle with Marte in CF would be some very good defense, and an improved offense to boot.
    There is nothing you keep there is only your reflection.

    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  4. #183
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,349

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Who would you rather have?

    Didi - SS, Senzel - CF, VanMeter - 2B

    Iglesias or Galvis - SS, Starling Marte - CF, Senzel - 2B

    More than one way to improve the offense, and defense. One of Iglesias/Galvis at SS and Senzel at 2B up the middle with Marte in CF would be some very good defense, and an improved offense to boot.
    How are the Reds going to acquire Marte? Didi id a FA. Marte will cost them serious talent.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  5. #184
    Member americanoutlaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    593

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    How are the Reds going to acquire Marte? Didi id a FA. Marte will cost them serious talent.
    And the farm ain't exactly ripe with that...

  6. #185
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,844

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    I love the idea of Marte, but he will require a haul. Maybe India closes the year strong and is a worthy start to trade talks?

    Tommy Pham is another guy I'd kick the tires on, he's probably better than Senzel there even if he's been Kiermaier'd to LF. Rays might want to get younger and cheaper in the OF.

    Adam Eaton is another guy who might be aging out of CF but could give the Reds at least a season or two there. Hometown guy too, for those who like that kind of stuff. Might be had for a year, 2 max.

  7. #186
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    19,735

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    How are the Reds going to acquire Marte? Didi id a FA. Marte will cost them serious talent.
    Sport trac lists FA, but they list them regardless of team option. He literally can be a FA after this season, but he won't be. That's my bad.

    Change out Marte for Ozuna. Or even Puig. An OF of Winker - LF Puig or Ozuna - CF Aquino - RF would have some thump. IF would too with Senzel at 2B where he'd be more comfortable.

    I don't think any team wants to see their version of Tatis Jr. go to another team like the White Sox are seeing right now. If the Reds want one, they best develop him.
    There is nothing you keep there is only your reflection.

    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  8. #187
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    32,154

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets




    damn this guy is smart...signing him might improve not just offensive output but the clubhouse IQ too
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

  9. Likes:

    Griffey012 (08-22-2019),Hillsdale87 (08-22-2019),wally post (08-23-2019),Wonderful Monds (08-22-2019)

  10. #188
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    12,666

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Sport trac lists FA, but they list them regardless of team option. He literally can be a FA after this season, but he won't be. That's my bad.

    Change out Marte for Ozuna. Or even Puig. An OF of Winker - LF Puig or Ozuna - CF Aquino - RF would have some thump. IF would too with Senzel at 2B where he'd be more comfortable.

    I don't think any team wants to see their version of Tatis Jr. go to another team like the White Sox are seeing right now. If the Reds want one, they best develop him.
    Ozuna in CF? he hardly plays a passable LF these days. Someone will pay him way too much money for way too many years and I hope that's not us. 2-3 years to play LF, sure.

  11. Likes:

    DocRed (08-25-2019)

  12. #189
    Member adkindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    443

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Ozuna in CF? he hardly plays a passable LF these days. Someone will pay him way too much money for way too many years and I hope that's not us. 2-3 years to play LF, sure.
    If we are looking for a quality Center Fielder (which I do not think we should be), I suspect the Dodgers would love to get off the AJ Pollock contract. They have younger, cheaper and honestly better options....and Pollock continues to be an injury problem. It was a 5 year / $60 Million deal, and the way it was structured most of that ($56 Million) is due over the remaining 4 years.

  13. #190
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    987

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    If we are looking for a quality Center Fielder (which I do not think we should be), I suspect the Dodgers would love to get off the AJ Pollock contract. They have younger, cheaper and honestly better options....and Pollock continues to be an injury problem. It was a 5 year / $60 Million deal, and the way it was structured most of that ($56 Million) is due over the remaining 4 years.
    It’d probably only cost us Ty Steve and India. ALL IN....for next year only

  14. #191
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    32,154

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    If we are looking for a quality Center Fielder (which I do not think we should be), I suspect the Dodgers would love to get off the AJ Pollock contract. They have younger, cheaper and honestly better options....and Pollock continues to be an injury problem. It was a 5 year / $60 Million deal, and the way it was structured most of that ($56 Million) is due over the remaining 4 years.
    I had this thought as well considering the Reds were in on him in the offseason and the Dodgers have other, cheaper options moving forward.

    But Pollock almost immediately getting injured this season just underscores the risk. Still pretty effective when on the field though.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

  15. #192
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    The free agent list is depressingly thin next year thanks largely to the rash of extensions these days. Really its Rendon and everybody else.

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ee-agents.html

  16. #193
    Member adkindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    443

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    The free agent list is depressingly thin next year thanks largely to the rash of extensions these days. Really its Rendon and everybody else.

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ee-agents.html
    That is the thing, I created a spreadsheet and have been working on it over the last month....just basically evaluating and comparing current players with FA upgrades, and they really are just not there. On top of that we do not appear to have the type of prospects to make a trade for a difference maker. For example, everyone points to Catcher as an upgrade, and the only potential catcher FA that is better than Tucker is Grandal....but when you actually compare their numbers this year, it is a fairly marginal upgrade and likely not worth the cost.

    https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/comp...r-barnhart.php

    It is not that much different when looking at shortstops and Didi Gregorius.

    https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/comp...-gregorius.php

    Rendon is a big bat, but the problem is he plays the same position as our current best offensive player who is much cheaper. Most guys that are in demand in free agency will seek an opportunity to play their preferred position. I recall Machado played SS for the Dodgers last year, but made it clear in FA he was returning to 3rd base....and I expect Rendon to remain at 3rd. On top of that, most rumors I have heard believe the Nationals will pay him what it takes to keep him.

    Just not sure these marginal upgrades to the offense will make a significant difference. Then if you look at a position like LF, you have guys like Ozuna, Nick Castellanos and Corey Dickerson....but none of them are really a production upgrade over a Winker/Ervin platoon. One thing there is on the FA market this summer is pitching, and that is where I think I would spend. We know our rotation will include Castillo, Gray and Bauer next season....go get Garrett Cole. If he is too expensive, add Zack Wheeler to the top of the rotation and Dallas Keuchel in the #5 slot. At least it would give us options to maybe make a trade later for offense if needed. I just find that more attractive than spending on mediocre bats that really do not improve the lineup much.

  17. #194
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,117

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    That is the thing, I created a spreadsheet and have been working on it over the last month....just basically evaluating and comparing current players with FA upgrades, and they really are just not there. On top of that we do not appear to have the type of prospects to make a trade for a difference maker. For example, everyone points to Catcher as an upgrade, and the only potential catcher FA that is better than Tucker is Grandal....but when you actually compare their numbers this year, it is a fairly marginal upgrade and likely not worth the cost.

    https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/comp...r-barnhart.php

    It is not that much different when looking at shortstops and Didi Gregorius.

    https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/comp...-gregorius.php

    Rendon is a big bat, but the problem is he plays the same position as our current best offensive player who is much cheaper. Most guys that are in demand in free agency will seek an opportunity to play their preferred position. I recall Machado played SS for the Dodgers last year, but made it clear in FA he was returning to 3rd base....and I expect Rendon to remain at 3rd. On top of that, most rumors I have heard believe the Nationals will pay him what it takes to keep him.

    Just not sure these marginal upgrades to the offense will make a significant difference. Then if you look at a position like LF, you have guys like Ozuna, Nick Castellanos and Corey Dickerson....but none of them are really a production upgrade over a Winker/Ervin platoon. One thing there is on the FA market this summer is pitching, and that is where I think I would spend. We know our rotation will include Castillo, Gray and Bauer next season....go get Garrett Cole. If he is too expensive, add Zack Wheeler to the top of the rotation and Dallas Keuchel in the #5 slot. At least it would give us options to maybe make a trade later for offense if needed. I just find that more attractive than spending on mediocre bats that really do not improve the lineup much.
    I think you mean free agency this winter. (I know you're in NBA mode again! Either that, or you moved to Australia! )
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  18. #195
    Member adkindo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    443

    Re: Offseason Hitting Targets

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I think you mean free agency this winter. (I know you're in NBA mode again! Either that, or you moved to Australia! )
    yes, yes....this Winter.

    Was just thinking for example if we added a Wheeler and Keuchel....then realize we need to upgrade the offense. Maybe it gives is the option of moving Castillo or Gray to bring back an all star level hitter during the season while Disco and Mahle improve the bullpen, but could be brought into the rotation later in the season if needed. There are a lot more bats on the market in 2021, and teams may be motivated to move them next season....guys like Michael Brantley, DJ LeMahieu, George Springer, J.T. Realmuto, Mookie Betts are scheduled to be on the market and a few guys have options like Giancarlo Stanton in 2021.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator