Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquino pulled from Bats starting Lineup

Re: Aquino pulled from Bats starting Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Can someone fill me in about him.....his numbers look really good in recent years, but I do not recall seeing him on recent lists of our better prospects? Is there a reason he was not listed? Is he expected to be a MLB starting outfielder?
    As recently as 2017, he was ranked as the Reds 6th best prospect. He’s a beast physically, similar to Puig, though a bit smaller. Great athlete, with a immense power and an elite arm. Like Puig, he’s always had trouble with off speed pitches.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=cin

He then stopped hitting once he reached AA. He was dropped from the 40 man roster, and signed to a new deal this off season. This year, he started hitting again. It might be the new ball, or he turned the corner.

I’m glad we will get a chance to see him at the MLB level. Btw, he was called up in September last season, this will not be his MLB debut.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini
    You got the pitching, now what? - Reds fans

2. Likes:

DocRed (08-01-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    They are going against a lefty tomorrow. This would be my lineup (not the batting order)

1. Senzel - CF
    2. Ervin- RF
    3. Aquino - LF
    4. Suarez - 3B
    5. Iglesias - SS
    6. Peraza - 2b
    7. Farmer - Catcher
    8. Votto - 1b

Would stack the righties. Hate to sit Van Meter but I would against the lefty. Now I know Bell is not going to start Aquino. But I would.
    Would put Ervin in LF and Aquino in RF given his arm.
    Go BLUE!!!

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-01-2019),757690 (07-31-2019),JaxRed (07-31-2019),RedsRocker (07-31-2019),Rojo Rijo (08-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Tantalizing tools, arm and power especially. Bad plate discipline, which is usually an ominous sign. Hes the type of guy who could hit .200 with 30+ HR and several assists from RF. Hopefully he can improve on the discipline/hit tool, because if he can, he could be really good. Ironically, something like a Puig type with less baserunning ability.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    As recently as 2017, he was ranked as the Reds 6th best prospect. He’s a beast physically, similar to Puig, though a bit smaller. Great athlete, with a immense power and an elite arm. Like Puig, he’s always had trouble with off speed pitches.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=cin

He then stopped hitting once he reached AA. He was dropped from the 40 man roster, and signed to a new deal this off season. This year, he started hitting again. It might be the new ball, or he turned the corner.

I’m glad we will get a chance to see him at the MLB level. Btw, he was called up in September last season, this will not be his MLB debut.
    yeah, i saw he played 1 game last year with the Reds. His average is way up this season, but he appears to strike out at near a 30% clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Tantalizing tools, arm and power especially. Bad plate discipline, which is usually an ominous sign. Hes the type of guy who could hit .200 with 30+ HR and several assists from RF. Hopefully he can improve on the discipline/hit tool, because if he can, he could be really good. Ironically, something like a Puig type with less baserunning ability.
    Gallo

Can someone fill me in about him.....his numbers look really good in recent years, but I do not recall seeing him on recent lists of our better prospects? Is there a reason he was not listed? Is he expected to be a MLB starting outfielder?
    Borderline too old to be considered a prospect. Lost his shine when he couldn't hit above high A ball. Got cut from the 40 man and brought back this off-season when no other team wanted to roster him.
    Has destroyed AAA this year with the juiced ball.
    He could be an aberration, or just maybe he finally put the tools together to succeed.
    I'm trying to be a realist and am not super high on him, but the optimist in me holds onto hope that he's finally for real.
    If he's for real, he's incredibly toolsy.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

He's officially up.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

10. Likes:

mace (08-01-2019),Rojo Rijo (08-01-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Excited to see this guy. My projection is that he can probably fight....6 Pirates at a time. 8 is a little too optimistic.
    I'm just going to go find a cash machine.

12. Likes:

cnwizz (08-01-2019),Old school 1983 (08-01-2019),Spanky (08-01-2019)

I'm just not sure about this guy, but one thing's for sure and that's that he's got a bit of a crazy look at bat like he wants to kill the pitchers grandma or something. I just have a hunch he won't be with the team for the long term.. There's just something missing and if he's striking out @ a 30% rate in the minor league imagine how the big league pitchers are gonna treat him... badly.

14. Likes:

DocRed (08-01-2019)

According to something C Trent posted much like VanMeter the hitting coaches worked with Aquino on changing his swing and that has a big impact with his improved numbers.

16. Likes:

757690 (08-01-2019),Ron Madden (08-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Borderline too old to be considered a prospect. Lost his shine when he couldn't hit above high A ball. Got cut from the 40 man and brought back this off-season when no other team wanted to roster him.
    Has destroyed AAA this year with the juiced ball.
    He could be an aberration, or just maybe he finally put the tools together to succeed.
    I'm trying to be a realist and am not super high on him, but the optimist in me holds onto hope that he's finally for real.
    If he's for real, he's incredibly toolsy.

The statement in bold above couldn't be further from the truth. The Reds took him off the 40 man and resigned him to a minor league contract on the same day last year. It was prearranged and no other teams even had an opportunity to sign him. As for him being up with the team, I just hope that they do not park him at the end of the bench and use him for pinch hitting and as Winker's defensive caddy. That would be a shame to put him in a role that no young player succeeds in.

18. Likes:

757690 (08-01-2019),Chip R (08-01-2019),fondfoat (08-04-2019),RedlegJake (08-01-2019),The Operator (08-04-2019),TRF (08-01-2019)

He had a kid this year, got dropped from the 40 man roster in the off season with probably a handshake agreement to stay in the organization. AAA is now using the same ball as MLB, and there has clearly been a hitting philosophy change in Louisville.

It's amazing how a convergence of non-related events can change what was one expected outcome for another. Any one of those things might have moved the needle on Aquino. All together could have relegated him to "what could have been" status. Now he's on the Reds 25 man roster on Aug. 1 instead of Sept. 1. That is significant in how the FO sees him going forward and what the Louisville staff has said about him now. It's the same for VanMeter, just a month or two later.

This is what Oakland does, identify talent within the system that does not necessarily have the "shine". As an aside, remember when they basically "gave away" Addison Russell? I think the way they evaluate includes a human element. There had to be whispers about him. How that relates to this might be that the L'ville staff gave glowing reports on work ethic and character for VanMeter and now Aquino. It's just speculation of course, but every scrap of data that you have on a player is data you should use.

Plus, the guy is only 25 and was RAKING, so there is that.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

Also, MLB Gameday has him starting tonight in RF batting 6th.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He had a kid this year, got dropped from the 40 man roster in the off season with probably a handshake agreement to stay in the organization. AAA is now using the same ball as MLB, and there has clearly been a hitting philosophy change in Louisville.

It's amazing how a convergence of non-related events can change what was one expected outcome for another. Any one of those things might have moved the needle on Aquino. All together could have relegated him to "what could have been" status. Now he's on the Reds 25 man roster on Aug. 1 instead of Sept. 1. That is significant in how the FO sees him going forward and what the Louisville staff has said about him now. It's the same for VanMeter, just a month or two later.

This is what Oakland does, identify talent within the system that does not necessarily have the "shine". As an aside, remember when they basically "gave away" Addison Russell? I think the way they evaluate includes a human element. There had to be whispers about him. How that relates to this might be that the L'ville staff gave glowing reports on work ethic and character for VanMeter and now Aquino. It's just speculation of course, but every scrap of data that you have on a player is data you should use.

Plus, the guy is only 25 and was RAKING, so there is that.
    Very true. Great example of the "human element" is the case of former (in some eyes) uber-prospect Yorman Rodriguez. By the time he made it to AAA the word was pretty well out there about his attitude, but I was pretty shocked to learn how much this guy disliked playing baseball. Many folks, like Doug, year after year ranked this guy ridiculously high on the prospect charts in spite of abysmal minor league statistics. You can't milk a bull.... this guy just didn't have an ounce of desire in him. No more proof is needed beyond the fact that once the Reds cut him loose, he never signed with another team and basically disappeared off the baseball map.

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-01-2019)

I was there with doug on Yorman, because he had every tool needed to succeed.

But desire isn't a tool.

Aquino seems to have found something. Lets hope the Reds have too.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

24. Likes:

Rolando (08-01-2019)

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/reds-vs-...b=,game=567220

I'm looking forward to seeing this game/lineup tonight....beginning of new life in the lineup with the heavy righties against Lefties...then we'll see Winker/VanMeter swap in vs righties...
    Last edited by Redsville; 08-01-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Turn Off Ads?