Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquino pulled from Bats starting Lineup

Re: Aquino pulled from Bats starting Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    bragging he was in the scout seats ^^^^
    You would humble-brag too if you were sitting there.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

2. Likes:

JFLegal (08-07-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    oh for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'd take a selfie and post it everywhere.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    bragging he was in the scout seats ^^^^
    Hey, I tried to be humble.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-8-7-19/

Mountie Votto: Is the Aristides Aquino breakout anything more than small sample noise/good matchups?

Kiley McDaniel: The swing is pretty notably different and hes had MLB-level power hitter tools for years but leveled off performance a bit. Could be real.
    I trust Kiley probably more than I do any other prospect analyst when it comes to scouting and projection, so this is very encouraging to hear.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-08-2019),Edd Roush (08-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Have .500 BABIP will travel.

He hits the ball hard which may help him sustain a good BABIP (e.g. .320 or higher). But a .25 BB/K ratio only works if that happens and he keeps the plus/elite ISO.

At this point, he's most likely an Adam Duvall type batter (.250/.300/.480). However, if he does indeed sustain an elite BABIP, the upside of that is Yoan Moancada, Javy Baez, Trevor Story.

Figure that a league average BABIP and those peripherals puts you in the Duvall territory. Then, for each 10 points of BABIP, you can add 10 points to AVG, 10 to OBP, and 20 to SLG. So a .330 BABIP turns that .250/.300/.480 into .280/.330/.540. That's the difference between a mediocre starter and a borderline all-star.

Here's a list of guys with BB/K < .3 and ISO > .200 for reference. https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2-31&sort=20,d

But to be clear, I would not go assuming he sustains an elite BABIP. And though guys can develop on very different schedules, guys who don't get extended playing time until age 25 aren't often stars.
    Funny seeing Puig on the list. I figure what Puig did in a Reds uniform is a good rough baseline for what we can expect from Aquino.

If you put a mirror in the other batter's box, Aquino would look a bit like VanMeter. They have similar stances from the opposite sides of the plate, and I don't think that's a coincidence.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

11. Likes:

membengal (08-08-2019),Mitri (08-08-2019),Old school 1983 (08-08-2019)

Reds: A fascinating listen inside swing and approach of Aristides Aquino

Reds: 2-minutes inside the swing and approach of Aristides Aquino
    Tommy Thrall talked with Reds assistant hitting coach Donnie Ecker for the Inside Pitch Friday night.

Thrall asked him about working with Reds outfielder Aristides Aquino. I found the response to fascinating
    Ecker really takes you inside his work on the approach and swing for Aquino.

Lance McAlister Podcast

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/l...stides-aquino/

13. Likes:

DocRed (08-08-2019),HokieRed (08-08-2019)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Funny seeing Puig on the list. I figure what Puig did in a Reds uniform is a good rough baseline for what we can expect from Aquino.
    If AA could match what Puig did this year, that would be spectacular. I expect that would be more like his ceiling over the next few years.

15. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If AA could match what Puig did this year, that would be spectacular. I expect that would be more like his ceiling over the next few years.
    A power driven low OBP bat isn't a high threshold to match. As far as I understand, Aquino is pretty good in RF with an excellent arm. Not Puig level arm, but still good.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Tommy Thrall talked with Reds assistant hitting coach Donnie Ecker for the Inside Pitch Friday night.

Thrall asked him about working with Reds outfielder Aristides Aquino. I found the response to fascinating

Lance McAlister Podcast

This winter the Reds did something that I hope forever changed the direction of the team. The coaching staff hires from pitching and hitting as well as the front office is just so amazing now (The old thinking in the front office would have never traded Puig nor Scotter). It is going to pay dividends. That interview really proves to me that the Reds are heading big time in the right direction.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

19. Likes:

HokieRed (08-08-2019),Ron Madden (08-08-2019),thatcoolguy_22 (08-08-2019),wally post (08-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Lance McAlister Podcast

Well that gets me giddy about Aquino, and maybe even more so for Ecker. Made me read up on him and I’m impressed and want to make sure he stays with us for a while and works his way up. He seems to be extremely technical but open minded and extremely innovative. Love hearing him talk about stripping down barriers.
    Sometimes all it takes for a guy like Aquino, with the size and tools he has, is a new perspective and in his case, a whole new swing.
    Get Ecker in a cage with Siri NOW

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Puig put up a 96 wRC+ and a 0.7 fWAR with the Reds.

He did this with a similar BB/K rate as Aquino's minor league BB/K rate, around 0.25, a similar ISOP as Aqunio's minor league ISOP, around .200, and a .258 BABIP. So Aquino just needs to put up a .258 BABIP, he should be able to match what Puig did this year as a Red. Hard to see that as his ceiling.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini
    You got the pitching, now what? - Reds fans

22. Likes:

adkindo (08-08-2019),BillDoran (08-08-2019),Griffey012 (08-08-2019),thatcoolguy_22 (08-08-2019)

If Aquino continues to hit .500 with power, he might just be a keeper.

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-09-2019),Mitri (08-08-2019),thatcoolguy_22 (08-08-2019),Tommyjohn25 (08-09-2019),TRF (08-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    If Aquino continues to hit .500 with power, he might just be a keeper.
    His power is legit, no question. His new swing gets his bat ready and quicker through the zone. He'll have streaks where he K's a lot, but that power and a potential plus RF makes him at worst a 4th OF. I'll take that over Ervin, whose hardest swings ever barely make it over the fence.

Turn Off Ads?