Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 88

Thread: Tyler Stephenson note and question

  1. #46
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,581

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Of course a lot of stud minor leaguers don't pan out. That's the case whether Stephenson stays in the organization or not. That's a given. We all get that.

    Yes, the statement has everything to do with Tyler Stephenson. Weren't you the one who criticized me for not reading between the lines? You obviously didn't get my point here so I'll hit you between the eyes with it so there's no doubt:

    I implore the Reds NOT to trade Tyler Stephenson for a rental.

    Trade rumors are irrelevant because they're just that. You put stock into rumors?
    I get what you are saying, I am saying you are just using this thread to complain about something unrelated to Tyler Stephenson. By all accounts the Reds are very high on Stephenson and they see him as a catcher of the future.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,018

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Given the increasing likelihood of his having a major league career and his position, T. Stephenson should, IMO, be entering the discussion as the org's top position prospect, at the very least, and perhaps top prospect overall. He'd still be 3rd on my list but I can see reasonable arguments for his being 1 or 2.

  4. Likes:

    Griffey012 (10-17-2019),REDREAD (10-28-2019)

  5. #48
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,462

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I get what you are saying, I am saying you are just using this thread to complain about something unrelated to Tyler Stephenson. By all accounts the Reds are very high on Stephenson and they see him as a catcher of the future.
    Same could have been said about Taylor Trammell and where is he now?

  6. #49
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,581

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Same could have been said about Taylor Trammell and where is he now?
    I disagree, I think the fact the reds saw him as a corner OF coupled with the fact he can’t hit for power is why he was dealt.

    C is a much more difficult position to fill than LF.

    They (correctly) deemed Tramm expendable.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  7. Likes:

    Griffey012 (10-17-2019),TRF (10-22-2019)

  8. #50
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,462

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I disagree, I think the fact the reds saw him as a corner OF coupled with the fact he can’t hit for power is why he was dealt.

    C is a much more difficult position to fill than LF.

    They (correctly) deemed Tramm expendable.
    There was a time they were very high on Trammell. In fact I'd say that time was after the 2017 Futures game MVP

  9. #51
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,581

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There was a time they were very high on Trammell. In fact I'd say that time was after the 2017 Futures game MVP
    There was one time they were really high on Brandon Larsen. Who cares?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  10. #52
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    24,242

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Of course a lot of stud minor leaguers don't pan out. That's the case whether Stephenson stays in the organization or not. That's a given. We all get that.

    Yes, the statement has everything to do with Tyler Stephenson. Weren't you the one who criticized me for not reading between the lines? You obviously didn't get my point here so I'll hit you between the eyes with it so there's no doubt:

    I implore the Reds NOT to trade Tyler Stephenson for a rental.

    Trade rumors are irrelevant because they're just that. You put stock into rumors?
    I would trade T. Stephenson for Mookie Betts or George Springer in a heartbeat.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  11. #53
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,462

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I would trade T. Stephenson for Mookie Betts or George Springer in a heartbeat.
    First of all, I'm sure those teams would want much more but that aside, your proposal would look very good for 2020, but what do you do for a catcher in 2021 and beyond?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    There was one time they were really high on Brandon Larsen. Who cares?
    By your kind of thinking it could be said "Tyler Stephenson could turn into the next Brandon Larson so who cares?" Well, I'm glad there are fans who care

  12. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-28-2019)

  13. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,742

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There was a time they were very high on Trammell. In fact I'd say that time was after the 2017 Futures game MVP
    I think the moment you mention was peak Trammell. For whatever reason, his performance has plummeted thereafter. Even in 2018, he only hit .235 post Futures game.

    His peak is very much looking like Dexter Fowler. Solid, but nothing special. And I think that is why the Reds decided to move when they did.

    Stephenson is still trending upward and still has a chance to be special. Which is why I think the Reds will value Stephenson hire now than they did Trammell at the time of the trade.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  14. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,018

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    1. I like Stephenson a great deal and have all along. I hope we don't trade him for some short term perceived improvement. I'm not sure I'd even trade him for Mookie Betts, because I think the team has no chance to contend in 2020.

    2. Way too early to give up on Trammell. The theory of the trade frankly makes little sense to me. We're likely going to pay Bauer about 18 million this year. Surely we could have acquired his equivalent for that w/o moving Trammell and using Puig to acquire something else. And this year was shot when they got Bauer so it's not as if he was going to move us into contention this year. Just don't get it frankly.

  15. Likes:

    DocRed (10-28-2019),REDREAD (10-28-2019),Sea Ray (10-19-2019)

  16. #56
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    12,581

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    1. I like Stephenson a great deal and have all along. I hope we don't trade him for some short term perceived improvement. I'm not sure I'd even trade him for Mookie Betts, because I think the team has no chance to contend in 2020.

    2. Way too early to give up on Trammell. The theory of the trade frankly makes little sense to me. We're likely going to pay Bauer about 18 million this year. Surely we could have acquired his equivalent for that w/o moving Trammell and using Puig to acquire something else. And this year was shot when they got Bauer so it's not as if he was going to move us into contention this year. Just don't get it frankly.
    Puig was worth little to nothing IMHO.

    He was like a 0.5 WAR player at the time of the trade.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  17. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,018

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Puig was worth little to nothing IMHO.

    He was like a 0.5 WAR player at the time of the trade.
    Don't disagree about Puig at all, but you might have gotten a potential bullpen arm for him. But why spend Trammell and Moss on acquiring the privilege of paying Bauer 18 million?

  18. #58
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    19,829

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Don't disagree about Puig at all, but you might have gotten a potential bullpen arm for him. But why spend Trammell and Moss on acquiring the privilege of paying Bauer 18 million?
    Because Moss probably ends up a fringe bullpen arm, and despite a nice showing in the AA championship series, Trammell was pretty awful.

    Bauer was bad as a Red this year, no question, but he has a history that says that's an aberration. He's typically a #2-#1 SP. And now the Reds have three of those.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,018

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Because Moss probably ends up a fringe bullpen arm, and despite a nice showing in the AA championship series, Trammell was pretty awful.

    Bauer was bad as a Red this year, no question, but he has a history that says that's an aberration. He's typically a #2-#1 SP. And now the Reds have three of those.
    18 million ought to buy something.

  20. #60
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    19,829

    Re: Tyler Stephenson note and question

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    18 million ought to buy something.
    He had a bad 3 months, no doubt.

    Year Age Tm W L ERA G GS GF CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W
    2012 21 ARI 1 2 6.06 4 4 0 0 0 16.1 14 13 11 2 13 0 17 69 5.18 1.653 7.7 1.1 7.2 9.4 1.31
    2013 22 CLE 1 2 5.29 4 4 0 0 0 17.0 15 11 10 3 16 0 11 73 7.05 1.824 7.9 1.6 8.5 5.8 0.69
    2014 23 CLE 5 8 4.18 26 26 0 0 0 153.0 151 76 71 16 60 4 143 94 4.01 1.379 8.9 0.9 3.5 8.4 2.38
    2015 24 CLE 11 12 4.55 31 30 1 1 0 176.0 152 90 89 23 79 1 170 95 4.33 1.313 7.8 1.2 4.0 8.7 2.15
    2016 25 CLE 12 8 4.26 35 28 3 1 0 190.0 179 96 90 20 70 1 168 106 3.99 1.311 8.5 0.9 3.3 8.0 2.40
    2017 26 CLE 17 9 4.19 32 31 1 0 0 176.1 181 84 82 25 60 0 196 109 3.88 1.367 9.2 1.3 3.1 10.0 3.27
    2018 27 CLE 12 6 2.21 28 27 1 0 0 175.1 134 51 43 9 57 2 221 196 2.44 1.089 6.9 0.5 2.9 11.3 3.88
    2019 28 TOT 11 13 4.48 34 34 0 1 1 213.0 184 118 106 34 82 0 253 104 4.34 1.249 7.8 1.4 3.5 10.7 3.09
    2019 28 CLE 9 8 3.79 24 24 0 1 1 156.2 127 76 66 22 63 0 185 124 4.15 1.213 7.3 1.3 3.6 10.6 2.94
    2019 28 CIN 2 5 6.39 10 10 0 0 0 56.1 57 42 40 12 19 0 68 71 4.85 1.349 9.1 1.9 3.0 10.9 3.58

    I won't say the above is worth $18M or that it isn't I'm sure he'll go to arbitration, but I do not think he'll win. The Reds may choose a number he can live with or vice versa.

    I honestly don't know he'll even be a Red next year, but I won't be too upset if he is.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator