Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Local Announcer Ratings

2019 Local Announcer Ratings

It's that time of year Awful Announcing takes the grade of every teams local announcers. You can rate them A to F. The polls are open until August 9th. Link is below:

https://awfulannouncing.com/orig/rat...9-edition.html

When I voted just a few minutes ago the Reds team of announcers surprisingly were getting an overall B. I gave them a D mainly because of Thom. I think Welsh,Brantley and even the bland Day are pretty good. If not for Thom I may have given them a B.

IIRC, the Giants had the highest percentage of A's. They are the best IMO. Also the Mets had a high percentage too.

Not surprisingly the Pirates and Nats had F's. I voted the Pirates and Cardinals F's. I gave the Nats a D.

I didn't get to watch every teams announcing team like I did last year. Just way too busy with work and trying to get a house ready to sell. Maybe next year because I had a good time watching and listening to all the different announcing teams.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

North (08-07-2019),Ron Madden (08-07-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019 Local Announcer Ratings

I clicked on the link but didn't see where to vote.
    I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I clicked on the link but didn't see where to vote.
    If you keep scrolling down each set of announcers will come up and then just below that the letter grade that you can click on to what you think.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    It's that time of year Awful Announcing takes the grade of every teams local announcers. You can rate them A to F. The polls are open until August 9th. Link is below:

https://awfulannouncing.com/orig/rat...9-edition.html

When I voted just a few minutes ago the Reds team of announcers surprisingly were getting an overall B. I gave them a D mainly because of Thom. I think Welsh,Brantley and even the bland Day are pretty good. If not for Thom I may have given them a B.

IIRC, the Giants had the highest percentage of A's. They are the best IMO. Also the Mets had a high percentage too.

Not surprisingly the Pirates and Nats had F's. I voted the Pirates and Cardinals F's. I gave the Nats a D.

I didn't get to watch every teams announcing team like I did last year. Just way too busy with work and trying to get a house ready to sell. Maybe next year because I had a good time watching and listening to all the different announcing teams.
    the untrained voices of danny graves and doug flynn seriously lower the quality of the broadcasts. it's like listening to 15 year olds whose voices havent yet changed. if these are the post-marty voices, we're in for some misery. thom (mr. speak before you think) is terrible, hates baseball and the reds. thank goodness i only listen to radio broadcasts.

7. Likes:

Chip R (08-07-2019),Crumbley (08-08-2019)

I wish you could vote individually. Feel bad voting poorly when it's just one person, Thom of course, that drags everything down.

9. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-07-2019),Chip R (08-07-2019),Edd Roush (08-08-2019),Ron Madden (08-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If you keep scrolling down each set of announcers will come up and then just below that the letter grade that you can click on to what you think.
    So simple, even a caveman could do it...
    I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-07-2019),Kinsm (08-07-2019),Ron Madden (08-07-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Thom skewed my grade unfairly, but as long as he's a part of the group, it's an F.
    I'm just going to go find a cash machine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Thom skewed my grade unfairly, but as long as he's a part of the group, it's an F.
    I don't know why Thom Brennaman gets skewered the way he does here...yeah, he fires from the hip and lets fly with some questionable comments now and again, but to me that's what makes him entertaining. He comes across as a real human being, faults and all, and not some plastic Epcot version of a professional announcer.... I'd much rather listen to Thom announce a game than his dad whose style started grating on my ears years ago to the point where I can't even listen to the guy. But Thom? No problems at all with him doing a game...he and Chris Welsh make a pretty enjoyable game from where I'm sitting.

But, hey, everybody's got their own personal taste, whether it's food, movies or baseball announcers....we like who and what we like and there's really no explaining it.

14. Likes:

LexRedsFan (08-07-2019),Redeyecat (08-08-2019),texasdave (08-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    I don't know why Thom Brennaman gets skewered the way he does here...yeah, he fires from the hip and lets fly with some questionable comments now and again, but to me that's what makes him entertaining. He comes across as a real human being, faults and all, and not some plastic Epcot version of a professional announcer.... I'd much rather listen to Thom announce a game than his dad whose style started grating on my ears years ago to the point where I can't even listen to the guy. But Thom? No problems at all with him doing a game...he and Chris Welsh make a pretty enjoyable game from where I'm sitting.

But, hey, everybody's got their own personal taste, whether it's food, movies or baseball announcers....we like who and what we like and there's really no explaining it.

Hi Thom's son!

I agree with you though to an extent, some of the things people can't stand about him I can basically just tune out.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post

Let me tell you something, right now...that post is, and you can't even argue this, without a shadow of a doubt, written by someone in Thom's family. Cowboy, you know what I'm talking about. And there's Votto, watching strike three...my goodness. It just drives you crazy. And that's all I'm saying.
    I'm just going to go find a cash machine.

17. Likes:

Chip R (08-07-2019),Edd Roush (08-08-2019),NebraskaRed (08-08-2019),OesterPoster (08-08-2019),Redeyecat (08-08-2019),RedseatHR (08-08-2019),Redsfaithful (08-07-2019),Shoeless Jeff (08-10-2019),The Operator (08-07-2019),wally post (08-08-2019),WrongVerb (08-07-2019)

"So Fla Red"

Cool. Another Thom bashing thread!!

19. Likes:

Redeyecat (08-08-2019),texasdave (08-07-2019)

Jim and Chris..solid B
    Jim and Jeff..C+
    Thom and Chris..D-
    Thom and Jeff..F
    Go Gators!

21. Likes:

Always Red (08-07-2019),MR X (08-08-2019),Ron Madden (08-07-2019)

Haunted by walks

I like Jeff Brantley for what he is, but thereís one small thing he does that I canít help but notice. Itís easy enough to fix if he ever got the word. Letís say the score is 6-2 Reds. The Reds score a run, and Brantley says something like, ďAnd now the score is 7-*2* emphasizing the 2, which is not the important part at all. Laughably minor thing, I know, but he does it every time.

Also, heís not a real cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Let me tell you something, right now...that post is, and you can't even argue this, without a shadow of a doubt, written by someone in Thom's family. Cowboy, you know what I'm talking about. And there's Votto, watching strike three...my goodness. It just drives you crazy. And that's all I'm saying.
    Lol, yep, Thom's got his stock expressions, but they don't bother my a$$ none....you wanna know what kind of announcer made my skin crawl and lunge for the Mute button? Brad Johansen

A ‘B’ is about where unbiased people would grade them. It’s likely where Reds’ ownership grades them too. Meaning they aren’t going anywhere.

25. Likes:

LexRedsFan (08-07-2019)

Turn Off Ads?