Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reds claim Freddy Galvis from the Blue Jays

Re: Reds claim Freddy Galvis from the Blue Jays

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They'll have all kinds of money...but it won't be easy. They don't want to lock themselves into another LTC, so it's about more than money. FAs are looking for years
    Right, and the Reds know this. They could throw all the money in the world at Gregorius or Grandal, but if for some reason those guys don't want to play in Cincinnati then we are stuck with the status quo.

As others have noted, Galvis is status quo insurance. He's a guy who plays good shortstop and can likely squeeze out league-average offense. That's probably worth what the Reds are on the hook for, but let's not act like our SS search is over. Hopefully the Reds will try to find a true, longer-term upgrade at that position, seeing as how our in-house replacement isn't a slam dunk and is at least 2 years away.

If the Reds can't sign Didi or trade for a true upgrade, Galvis allows them to reallocate their capital to improve another area, of which there are many - CF or 2B, C, bullpen, corner OF. This offense needs a real makeover, and Galvis isn't the answer. But at least SS won't get any uglier now that he's on board.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think as a second year arb guy, he gets a hefty raise. You don't have to produce. You just need to accumulate time. I agree he's ok at 2B but it's the only place he's not a trainwreck defensively. His offense is tied to his BABIP. VanMeter is the 2B.

2020 is the year to win. After that, they take a step back again. Not much help coming from the system. India and pray for rain.
    VanMeter has been a pleasant surprise, but this is a tough call for me. Before this season, VanMeter did not hit that well. He started off on fire, and since has cooled off. In the minors, he was a career 746 OPS guy. I don't know if he made an adjustment this year that will permanently make him an 800 OPS bat or not, but he has cooled down a bit.
    He represents some risk.

Farmer is a nice bench player, but he is at 726 OPS this year, and career is 692. His career numbers are similar to Peraza's.

Peraza had a rough start but has been coming on strong lately.

I guess I don't see a whole lot of benefit in cutting Peraza and then bringing in another minor league contract type guy to save a few million. I could see it if the Reds were rebuilding, but if they are truly going for it, they can pay to keep Peraza around as insurance for both middle infield positions and CF.

Plus, next year, 26 man rosters, there's room for more bench guys.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Right, and the Reds know this. They could throw all the money in the world at Gregorius or Grandal, but if for some reason those guys don't want to play in Cincinnati then we are stuck with the status quo.

As others have noted, Galvis is status quo insurance. He's a guy who plays good shortstop and can likely squeeze out league-average offense. That's probably worth what the Reds are on the hook for, but let's not act like our SS search is over. Hopefully the Reds will try to find a true, longer-term upgrade at that position, seeing as how our in-house replacement isn't a slam dunk and is at least 2 years away.

If the Reds can't sign Didi or trade for a true upgrade, Galvis allows them to reallocate their capital to improve another area, of which there are many - CF or 2B, C, bullpen, corner OF. This offense needs a real makeover, and Galvis isn't the answer. But at least SS won't get any uglier now that he's on board.
    My guess is that Didi and Grandal will want 5 yrs or so. That's the issue. We don't want to tie ourselves up in another Homer Bailey situation

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They just need to get through a game if a guy needs a rest or is hurt in the middle of the game. They just stash somebody at AAA. Heck, they have plenty of SS who can play there and not hit. If Galvis, assuming he's the guy, is hurt, I don't want Peraza's glove out there every day so the whole insurance in case of injury counts for nothing with me. He's terrible out there.
    We need a backup SS on the everyday roster, IMO. So let's assume only one of Galvis/Iglesis will be back.. then it makes sense to keep Peraza.
    If for some reason, they keep both Galvis/Iglesis, then yea, Peraza becomes expendable.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Forgot about that, good point. I highly doubt the Reds will go into next season with JVM penciled into a starting role. He's surprise, and I believe his bat to be legit.

I'll keep typing this until it happens: move Senzel to 2B and backup CF. JVM becomes the LHH utility. Go get a real CF and another dependable corner OF bat.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is that Didi and Grandal will want 5 yrs or so. That's the issue. We don't want to tie ourselves up in another Homer Bailey situation
    They can "want" that all day and night, but neither will get 5 years. I think they'll both end up signing 3 year deals.

7. Likes:

M2 (08-14-2019),REDREAD (08-14-2019)

They'll have all kinds of money...but it won't be easy. They don't want to lock themselves into another LTC, so it's about more than money. FAs are looking for years
    I'm less worried about FAs looking for years - the recent FA market has not favored the players in most cases. I'm more worried about the FA market being thin this coming season. If Reds lose out on one or two top targets they may have a tougher time meeting their needs.

Still, I think the priorities for this off-season are one good established bat and the bullpen. They should be able to do that in free agency or by taking on some salary in trades.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-14-2019 at 02:18 PM.

We need a backup SS on the everyday roster, IMO. So let's assume only one of Galvis/Iglesis will be back.. then it makes sense to keep Peraza.
    If for some reason, they keep both Galvis/Iglesis, then yea, Peraza becomes expendable.
    I think Peraza's versatility (SS, 2B, 3B, LF, RF) makes him the better option as the backup.

Forgot about that, good point. I highly doubt the Reds will go into next season with JVM penciled into a starting role. He's surprise, and I believe his bat to be legit.

I'll keep typing this until it happens: move Senzel to 2B and backup CF. JVM becomes the LHH utility. Go get a real CF and another dependable corner OF bat.

- - - Updated - - -

They can "want" that all day and night, but neither will get 5 years. I think they'll both end up signing 3 year deals.
    Grandal took one year and a mutual option from Brewers. Wonder if you can get him for two years and a relatively high AAV.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Grandal took one year and a mutual option from Brewers. Wonder if you can get him for two years and a relatively high AAV.
    That would be sweet. Seems like the type who wouldn't mind a return to his original org too. 2 years of Grandal would line up nicely and would be a huge boost to the offense.

Then they could stick with Galvis at SS and look for more modest upgrades either in CF/2B and have some cash left over for the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Whether Galvis plays instead of Jose Iglesias for Reds next year, or plays alongside Jose, Reds still need to add another meaningful bat.

The team's road losing this year - they are 23-34 - must be attributable at least in part to the offense. Reds are hitting only .717 OPS on the road, one of the poorer rates in the league.

There are various directions they can go with their pay flex this off-season. Whatever they do, they need to add a meaningful starting offensive player.
    They have a lot of young players, who tend to not hit well on the road. Right now, I'd look at what their road OPS is post All-Star break and go from there. I'd ignore the first half of the season for many reasons, as what they did then will have little meaning towards what they will do next season.

MLBTV analysts, including ex-players, are inferring that home teams are coming up with ways to cheat (stealing signs, etc.) and that this is the biggest reason for the disparity in home/road disparities throughout the league. This can be fixed with better disguieses of what a pitcher is throwing. Now, this doesn't have anything to do with why the REDS had a poor OPS in hitting on the road. Perhaps they need better espionage.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-14-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

13. Likes:

North (08-15-2019)

F

That's the direction I would like to see the club go as well.
    Senzel is a below average CF. He really shouldn't be playing in big parks. He's adequate in the GAB, but in larger parks, he's exposed. Nice player, but would have more value at 2b.

The idea that Senzel has been below average this season isn’t really based on any kind of statistical fact.

UZR shows him to be just above average: https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...93&position=OF

He’s fine in CF. Second basemen are easy to find. Centerfielders are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

16. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The idea that Senzel has been below average this season isn’t really based on any kind of statistical fact.

UZR shows him to be just above average: https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...93&position=OF

He’s fine in CF. Second basemen are easy to find. Centerfielders are not.
    UZR sucks eggs.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

18. Likes:

Mitri (08-15-2019)

VanMeter has been a pleasant surprise, but this is a tough call for me. Before this season, VanMeter did not hit that well. He started off on fire, and since has cooled off. In the minors, he was a career 746 OPS guy. I don't know if he made an adjustment this year that will permanently make him an 800 OPS bat or not, but he has cooled down a bit.
    He represents some risk.

Farmer is a nice bench player, but he is at 726 OPS this year, and career is 692. His career numbers are similar to Peraza's.

Peraza had a rough start but has been coming on strong lately.

I guess I don't see a whole lot of benefit in cutting Peraza and then bringing in another minor league contract type guy to save a few million. I could see it if the Reds were rebuilding, but if they are truly going for it, they can pay to keep Peraza around as insurance for both middle infield positions and CF.

That $4 milliion or so difference might be a missing bullpen piece. Contrary to popular opinion in this thread, the Reds, if they bring back everyone they have control over, will be looking at somewhere between a $115 to $120 Million payroll. They need to upgrade at least one position with a significant run producer not on the roster, they need at least one established late inning reliever and they need another trustworthy middle relief type. That to do list is going to cost around $30 to $35 Million. They are going to need to cut some money. Dietrich and Gausman seem the obvious choices, but that still leaves them short. Peraza and one of the catchers (Barnhart or Casali) added to that might be enough.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Galvis is our starting SS next year right or wrong...get used to it. Management didn't spend $2.1M to non tender him for a 1.5 month audition....at least I hope they aren't that stupid. GL to Jose Iglesias next year as your contributions to the team this year were great. Get paid son..
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-14-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Turn Off Ads?