Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Reds claim Freddy Galvis from the Blue Jays

Re: Reds claim Freddy Galvis from the Blue Jays

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He's literally a better hitter today than last year, not just lucky. So I won't be sad if the Reds choose him over Galvis, but it is interesting that something happened to Galvis following the 2015 season. After that he became a double digit HR guy. 4 straight years. He's likely to top 25 total this year if he gets enough AB's over the final 6 weeks.
    How did you arrive at that conclusion? If I look at Iglesias compared to last year I see the following:

2019 vs 2018
    wRC+ 87 vs 90
    BB% 3.8% vs 4.1%
    K% 13.8% vs 10.1%
    BABIP .322 vs .291
    LD% 24.8% vs 22.9%
    GB% 49.5% vs 43.3%
    FB% 25.7% vs 33.5%
    ISO: .126 vs .120

He has improved his ISO which is probably not an improvement considering the baseball and switch of home parks. His LD rate is 2% higher, GB% higher, and Flyballs much lower which could explain the rise in BABIP.

To me he looks like largely the same hitter as last year who has reduced his launch angle which should explain at least a portion of the BABIP increase as not random luck, and moved to a smaller park which has allowed him to not hurt his ISO too much at the expense of a reduced launch angle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    So both Winker and VanMeter are sitting vs. the RH Wacha?

But the soon-to-be-36 Votto starts his 109th game...out of 114 total.

Bell.
    I thought this was confusing too, but turns out Wacha is a big reverse splits guy:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits...=P&season=2019
    Last edited by Griffey012; 08-15-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-15-2019),Tom Servo (08-15-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    How did you arrive at that conclusion? If I look at Iglesias compared to last year I see the following:

2019 vs 2018
    wRC+ 87 vs 90
    BB% 3.8% vs 4.1%
    K% 13.8% vs 10.1%
    BABIP .322 vs .291
    LD% 24.8% vs 22.9%
    GB% 49.5% vs 43.3%
    FB% 25.7% vs 33.5%
    ISO: .126 vs .120

He has improved his line ISO which is probably not an improvement considering the baseball and switch of home parks. His LD rate is 2% higher, GB% higher, and Flyballs much lower which could explain the rise in BABIP.

To me he looks like largely the same hitter as last year who has reduced his launch angle which should explain at least a portion of the BABIP increase as not random luck, and moved to a smaller park which has allowed him to not hurt his ISO too much at the expense of a reduced launch angle.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought this was confusing too, but turns out Wacha is a big reverse splits guy:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits...=P&season=2019
    Yeah I like it I think Bell is trying to play the percentages. Who knows they might get shut out but at least he's trying something
    Crazy Reds Fan

Yeah I don't think Iglesias has changed outside of popping a few more HRs thanks to GABP. I expect him to finish no higher than a .725 OPS on the high end, and probably closer to his .699 mark last season.

Now Galvis I think has changed a little over the last few years, he flashed HR power before and now (probably with some help from the ball) he's a certified slugging SS. He's only a tick behind Corey Seager in ISO, and by good old SLG % he's ahead of both Seager and Paul DeJong.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

I cannot believe how many additionsare being added to this team, all in the name of trying to improve both this year's team and next year's team.

They are trying.

- - - Updated - - -

Not every move works out. If you hit on 60% of them, you're doing good. Doing nothing gets you nowhere.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

757690 (08-16-2019),GAC (08-16-2019),Old NDN (08-18-2019),Rolando (08-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rece Tyler View Post
    Gausman was the 1st overall pitcher drafted just a few years ago. I completely agree with picking him up and taking him for a little spin.
    IMO, he won't be with the Reds after this season. He was resigned by ATL (1 yr $9.3M) prior to the season (avoided arb). Reds ain't going there. He was waived and this management grabbed him, took that chance, simply because they need arms direly for any chance in the second half.

Do you guys really believe that Jose Iglesias is going to fetch Cozart type of money in free agency this winter?
    I don't think any one in this discussion thinks that. The Angels paid Cozart 3 yrs/ 38M so it's possible. But very slight IMO. It's what his agent believes, tries to get. But he has some "ammo". This is his career slash line (7 yrs) .... .273 .316 .687 ..... this is his '19 so far ..... .293 .322 .740

but we're still talking about a guy who was picked up off the scrap heap and was only able to secure a minor league deal just a few months ago.
    A lot of solid, contributing players have been picked up off that so-called "scrap heap". The waiver wire can be your friend if used wisely. Gennett? Read several articles this season where teams in dire need at SS, who passed over Iglesias, now regret it. And the pending FA market at SS ain't too promising either. If they let Iglesias walk - they better have an answer at SS.

That may be Galvis. Nice pick up. Some have now made the determination that Iggy's gone and he's our '20 SS. Quite possible. We know they at least have a SS for next season (LOL). But why not both? Not being considered by this front office? If they are serious about making a run next year then, IMO, they can't lean too much on some of these unproven youth (VM, Ervin, Aquino, etc) to pull them through. Too many question marks IMO. Why not a tandem of Iglesias (SS) and Galvis (2B)? Wouldn't mind that at all. You continue to strengthen your bench, and utilize it's versatility, with your youth.

But then again - this FO may let Iglesias walk, put Galvis at SS, move Senzel to 2B! LOL

The Reds have money to spend, leeway. But they have to focus it primarily on SP and bullpen IMO.

That money will be much more wisely spent going towards bringing Aroldis/Yasmani/Puig back into the fold.
    Aroldis Chapman, IMO, is another Reds fan pipe dream. He first has to opt-out of his contract with the Yankees. And then there's the chance the Yankees, wanting to get something in return, could slap a QO on him. Teams would have to pay a lot of money PLUS draft pick compensation. But even if he does enter the market I want no part of him. Yes, he's still a solid arm. He's making $15M/year currently. And if he enters FA, probably more. Let someone else pay it. Reds need to concentrate their financial resources elsewhere. Not 15M+ on a closer.

Would love to get Grandal for a couple years. Throw some solid money at him. Other then pitching, this is where I'd concentrate some money to try and make happen. You add Galvis at 2B, plus Grandal at Catcher, keep your fingers crossed on some of the youth (utilized wisely), and you've improved this offense.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-16-2019 at 03:58 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

9. Likes:

Nathan (08-16-2019),Rece Tyler (08-17-2019),Rolando (08-16-2019)

Turn Off Ads?