Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Fire JR House (3rd base coach) at end of the season?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, fire him

35 64.81%
  • no, keep him for 2020

19 35.19%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fire JR House (3rd base coach) at end of the season?

Fire JR House (3rd base coach) at end of the season?

It seems like JR House has made bonehead calls all season. Sending Votto home tonight with only one out, only to have Votto thrown out by a mile was the last straw for me. The Reds are trying to contend in 2020, they can't have JR House as the 3b coach.. He's also had Winker thrown out by a mile at least twice, probably more, but I can remember at least twice.

Poll coming, what do you think...
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

goldglover9 (08-13-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fire JR House (3rd base coach) at end of the season?

Why wait that long?

When you run yourself out of an inning by sending Votto on Robles in that spot you just don't know what you're doing. Robles has a cannon and was only about 50 feet beyond the IF when he picked the ball up. Also I don't know if House is aware of this or not, but soon to be 36 year old Joey Votto isn't the fastest guy you'll ever see.

5. Likes:

DocRed (08-13-2019),malcontent (08-12-2019),REDREAD (08-12-2019)

Agreed. The Winker play was against Atlanta and cost us a run and actually ended up costing a win because the game was lost by 1 run in extra innings.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (08-12-2019)

If a fire house hopefully he talks bell with him.
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CaribbeanRed View Post
    Agreed. The Winker play was against Atlanta and cost us a run and actually ended up costing a win because the game was lost by 1 run in extra innings.
    Kinda weird Delino is at 1b and House the catching coach is at 3b. Would have thought they’d be flipped.

10. Likes:

marcshoe (08-13-2019)

So what are the plays? Lets list them, because I have watched all but maybe 3 games, and I recall only Winker in Atlanta and Votto tonight. In regards to the Winker play, I still think if anyone watches the replay of that play and are objective, he made the right call.....even Winker should have been able to get home on that play.....Winker had already passed 3rd before the left fielder fielded the ball. Tonight, sending Votto was a mistake. What are the other plays? I recall him being aggressive all season, and it working out in our favor far more often than not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    I am more confident with House @ 3rd, than I am Bell as manager.

12. Likes:

Redeyecat (08-13-2019)

This is Steve Smith’s favorite Redszone thread.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini
    You got the pitching, now what? - Reds fans

14. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (08-13-2019),Chip R (08-13-2019),NC Reds (08-13-2019),Spider Tre (08-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    So what are the plays? Lets list them, because I have watched all but maybe 3 games, and I recall only Winker in Atlanta and Votto tonight. In regards to the Winker play, I still think if anyone watches the replay of that play and are objective, he made the right call.....even Winker should have been able to get home on that play.....Winker had already passed 3rd before the left fielder fielded the ball. Tonight, sending Votto was a mistake.
    That’s what I was about to ask. It seems this surge in House hating is because of those two sends. And they were definitely bad, but if our threshold is two slow runners getting the green light and being nailed at home we’re gonna go through a lot of 3rd base coaches.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

16. Likes:

marcshoe (08-13-2019),westofyou (08-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That’s what I was about to ask. It seems this surge in House hating is because of those two sends. And they were definitely bad, but if our threshold is two slow runners getting the green light and being nailed at home we’re gonna go through a lot of 3rd base coaches.
    I'm not sure what he was thinking tonight
    That would a bonehead play that absolutely cant happen again.
    Crazy Reds Fan

18. Likes:

REDREAD (08-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Every Firehouse needs a bell.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

20. Likes:

Bob Sheed (08-13-2019),Rolando (08-13-2019)

We're Together Again... Bob Sheed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Every Firehouse needs a bell.
    "Buddy Bell doesn't really have that much clout with the Reds."
    "Learn what it is that you do. Or we'll find someone else that will."

Thats what I was about to ask. It seems this surge in House hating is because of those two sends. And they were definitely bad, but if our threshold is two slow runners getting the green light and being nailed at home were gonna go through a lot of 3rd base coaches.
    You ought to know by now, on here, it only takes one bad play (call) and they want your head! Emotion reigns! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

23. Likes:

SunDeck (08-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Why wait that long?

When you run yourself out of an inning by sending Votto on Robles in that spot you just don't know what you're doing. Robles has a cannon and was only about 50 feet beyond the IF when he picked the ball up. Also I don't know if House is aware of this or not, but soon to be 36 year old Joey Votto isn't the fastest guy you'll ever see.
    Billy Hamilton would have been throw out on that play.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I try to not be reactionary and almost started a similar thread last night. I wanted to sleep on it and see if I felt the same way in the morning. I know I watch more Reds' baseball than other teams, but I really cannot remember two sends as poor as the most recent two where we had runners nailed at the plate at any level in my entire memory.

I tried Googling third base coach rankings or third base coach stats last night to see if someone was collecting the data behind third base coach success rates, and was unsuccessful. Can a fellow 'Zoner please help a brother out with some of this data?

I would like to know if this is recency bias or if JR House really is as bad of a third base coach as I can remember.

Fire him? No. We have had this same conversation numerous times about several previous 3B coaches. Change for change's sake is stupidity. You might replace House, but this same thread will appear on the new guy after he blows a call or two.

The real question is what the other coaches (beginning with David Bell) are thinking. I guarantee that if the coaching staff and the FO think House is terrible, they will replace him ... pronto.
    I walk into the clubhouse today and its like walking into the Mayo Clinic. We have four doctors, three therapists and five trainers. Back when I broke in, we had one trainer who carried a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and by the 7th inning hed already drunk it. Tommy Lasorda

27. Likes:

757690 (08-13-2019),Big Klu (08-13-2019),Chip R (08-13-2019),Ron Madden (08-13-2019)

Turn Off Ads?