Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ervin & Winker Platoon....or just Ervin?

Re: Ervin & Winker Platoon....or just Ervin?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    In general I agree with you re: the middling prospects. I have no confidence in the Josh Van Meters and Brian O’Gradys ever being starting caliber players, just like I was skeptical of the Chris Denorfias, Ben Broussards and David Sappelts before them. For some reason Redszone always overrated those types.

That said, I think/hope Aquino has the potential to be different. He has always had incredible tools, and at various times was considered one of the highest potential upside guys in the organization if he could ever put it together. Maybe he has in a sustainable way, maybe he hasn’t, but I would be hesitant to immediately group him in with the others given what he has done not only all season long in 2019, but over various stretches in past seasons as well.

Ervin, while being a former first round pick, probably belongs more in the former category than the latter, but he’s still in the middle and more undefined for me. I would not bench Winker for him.
    This is a great point. I'm still in the "hope Aquino doesn't turn into a pumpkin" phase, but as far as raw talent and athletic ability go, he has the makings of superstar prospect.
    You just see so many guys like that who fail because they can't get on base enough.
    Jose Siri may end up being that guy after convincing me in the last year he had leapfrogged Aquino.
    Fingers crossed they both manage to make it.
    It'd be about time for this franchise to bear some fruit from the 16year old international end.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Likes:

wlf WV (08-14-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

He is at .267 vs righties and Winker is only hitting .163 against left handed pitchers, check the numbers before stating something you know nothing about.

Alright non-believers here are the "Off side stats" for both

Winker vs LH Pitching (AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS) .163 .280 .163 .443

Ervin vs RH Pitching (AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS) .267 .323 .367 .690

The "On" side stats are Ervin in a landslide

Phil Ervin is 27 years old and a career .256 hitter in the minors. He’s having an incredible year, but he’s not an everyday player.

He’s succeeding in this role. Keep him in it.

7. Likes:

CmdrCody (08-14-2019),goldglover9 (08-14-2019),Ron Madden (08-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Coachforyears View Post

On side? The stats that really matters which you didn't include: Winker against rhp .883 OPS (in nearly 300 ab's)

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-23-2019)

He is at .267 vs righties and Winker is only hitting .163 against left handed pitchers, check the numbers before stating something you know nothing about.
    I just wanted to be like you. You post about stuff about you dont know about all the time. If you're going to post stats you should probably post all the stats especially the ones that are pertinent to the conversation.
    Crazy Reds Fan

11. Likes:

goldglover9 (08-14-2019)

Why don’t you list sample size for this?
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

13. Likes:

Kinsm (08-14-2019)

Winker and Ervin platooning in LF is fine IMO. Generally lefty/righty matchups provide an advantage and I'm glad Reds are doing that. Over the course of a full season, Ervin would get additional at bats, filling in as fourth outfielder in CF and RF. There are plenty of OF at bats to go around over a full season.

The Reds had Matt Kemp initially and there wasn't room, so Ervin spent time at AAA when he was MLB ready. But that log jam is gone now.

So I think this problem goes away with both players, Wink and Ervin, on the Reds for a full season. They will both get plenty of playing time.

OK UPReds Fan and Rolando

Ervin's "On side stats" .468 Avg, .528 OBP, .872 SLG, 1.400 OPS

Sample size is the entire 2019 Season, Source ESPN.com

- - - Updated - - -

I don't cherry pick numbers as you have to look at the whole season to get an accurate picture and idea of steady improvement or decline.

Ervin has really done nothing sustainable to suggest he can hit righties at a high enough level to be a full time starter.... much like Winker has done nothing to suggest he can handle lefties. Ervin is the new Duvall, IMO.

Its about as obvious, and perfect as a platoon as there is.

The platoon is well positioned to provide solid value out of left, and there are way more pressing positions to sacrifice assets to upgrade.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

17. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-14-2019),Rolando (08-14-2019),wlf WV (09-24-2019)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't cherry pick numbers as you have to look at the whole season to get an accurate picture and idea of steady improvement or decline.
    okay I know those stats already he's a perfect platoon player against left-handed pitching. Jesse Winker smashes Ervin against right-handed pitching
    Crazy Reds Fan

I can understand the skepticism in Ervin, but I am confused about the faith that Reds fans seem to have in Winker. His mediocre bat combined with his absolute lack of athleticism is just a built in negative that I think will continue to be problematic. He is ok in the outfield in regards to judging balls, but he can't cover much ground even for a corner outfielder, and his arm is one of the weakest I have seen......then on the bases, he is problematic at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    okay I know those stats already he's a perfect platoon player against left-handed pitching. Jesse Winker smashes Ervin against right-handed pitching
    I think it is a stretch to say Winker smashes anyone from anyside.....and his splits are not very impressive against right handed pitching this year compared to Ervin.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (09-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I can understand the skepticism in Ervin, but I am confused about the faith that Reds fans seem to have in Winker. His mediocre bat combined with his absolute lack of athleticism is just a built in negative that I think will continue to be problematic. He is ok in the outfield in regards to judging balls, but he can't cover much ground even for a corner outfielder, and his arm is one of the weakest I have seen......then on the bases, he is problematic at best.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is a stretch to say Winker smashes anyone from anyside.....and his splits are not very impressive against right handed pitching this year compared to Ervin.
    how so?
    Crazy Reds Fan

I hope the overhaul of Aquino’s swing is what’s brought the surge on.
    May the Lord bless

23. Likes:

REDREAD (09-23-2019)

- - - Updated - - -

47 at bats is cherry picking since it’s no where near a full season or even one month of a season.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

25. Likes:

Rolando (08-14-2019),Ron Madden (09-23-2019)

Turn Off Ads?