Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trade Joey Votto / Peraza

Re: Trade Joey Votto / Peraza

I feel now that locking up a first baseman for long periods of time is the worst position to do so in the National League. DH would be it in the AL with first being the second worst. 1st base and DH should be the positions you use to fix batting orders. You have two 3rd baseman that can hit, you move one to first. You have 3 corner outfielders that can hit, move one to first. You need to acquire a power hitter, find a first baseman. But once you lock in a first baseman for many years, you're stuck if he starts hitting like a shortstop. Yes, maybe you can make up for it by finding a great hitting centerfielder but it's a hell of lot harder to find.

Joey Votto can still hit, and maybe it won't turn out that they pigeon-holed themselves when all is said and done, but it's not worth the gamble and should never be done again.

2. Likes:

malcontent (08-14-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    Probably not today ...or even before 4:05 pm..

I guess a sense of tradition in baseball is dead. I can't even imagine anyone demanding to trade Johnny Bench or Dave Concepcion ..
    1980, October it was a big rumor

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 376
Size:  298.7 KB

5. Likes:

RedsBaron (08-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    Probably not today ...or even before 4:05 pm..

I guess a sense of tradition in baseball is dead. I can't even imagine anyone demanding to trade Johnny Bench or Dave Concepcion ..
    Duh! Not sure where you've been but the financials of baseball have changed since the 80s. Neither Bench nor Concepcion had contracts that prohibited the Reds from cutting their playing time to add parts for the future. If we could trade Votto and dump the rest of his salary I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's of course assuming the Reds ownership doesn't just pocket it and uses it to add pieces for the near future. I don't want Votto retiring as a Red at the expense of putting a potential championship ball club on the field. Problem is, the Reds locked themselves into Votto and there is no way out other than to wait it out and him retiring a Red. We had the same problem with Griffey and will continue to have this problem every time the Reds find a superstar and lock him up for a lifetime. It just shouldn't be done.

BTW, What if the Reds had locked Concepcion into a 12 year contract that ran through 1990? Would you have been upset if they would have traded him in 1987 to make room for Larkin?
    Last edited by foster15; 08-14-2019 at 04:04 PM.

There's pretty much been a lack of production across the board outside of maybe Iglesias and Suarez. Vottos had some up and down stretches, mostly down till he stopped holding the damn bat by the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    All I know is Bell should be fired on the spot for even suggesting that Peraza needs or deserves to see more playing time. Period.
    meanwhile, ervin sits. i wouldnt be surprised if galvis sits next game after going 4 for 5 wednesday. bell curve i guess.

Trade Joey Votto and Jose Peraza to the Blue Jay's for CF Teoscar Hernandez.

Toronto's golden boy goes back home to finish out his career. plus Peraza can backup Biggio and Bichette a little bit cheaper than Galvis was.

Reds get:
    A true CF.
    Can platoon Senzel/VanMeter at 2B
    $25M to SPEND on other players in their prime

Quote Originally Posted by Rece Tyler View Post

Toronto's golden boy goes back home to finish out his career. plus Peraza can backup Biggio and Bichette a little bit cheaper than Galvis was.

Reds get:
    A true CF.
    Depends on how much cash they'd need, but sure why not? It's certainly something DW should explore.

Teams do stupid things all the time, maybe Toronto feels to urge to bring in a HOF-caliber sage to spread his wisdom.

He'd be an expensive DH, but they should have the loot.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Trade Joey Votto / Peraza

Quote Originally Posted by Rece Tyler View Post

Reds get:
    A true CF.
    OMG, why would the BJ's take on about $30MM in annual salary and give up a decent cheap player to boot?
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 08-15-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    OMG, why would the BJ's take on about $30MM in annual salary and give up a decent cheap player to boot?
    I agree. But I had to snicker at the Toronto club called the BJs

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. But I had to snicker at the Toronto club called the BJs

you.
    can't.
    trade.
    Votto.

Because he says you can't.
    There is nothing you keep there is only your reflection.

"There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

Moving on, does anyone think Peraza has any trade value? I actually think he does despite our general frustration with him. Jurickson Profar brought back something last season and their career numbers are similar. I think some team might like the years of control and the "good" Peraza years. Also, to the big market teams, 4 or 5 million isn't as much of a big deal as the Reds

15. Likes:

mth123 (08-15-2019),westofyou (08-16-2019)

Votto batting 2nd and 1st has messed with his mind. Votto is not a 2 hitter and no way a leadoff hitter. He needs to bat 3rd or 5th. Your number 3 hitter is not suppose to drive in a lot of runs or expected to hit homeruns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

The choice at the time was to either sign him for that money at the time or to trade him. trading him in the middle of the Reds previous contention window would have been subjected to much criticism around here at the time.

He will more than pay out the value of that contract over it's length, it's just that he paid out way more initially, and now is the time when he'll pay out less in production than the value.
    I think he was under contract through 2013 and the reds added 10 years on top of that. I think we w had a losing record every year if the 10 year deal so far.

An elite player who spends his whole career with the same team is a something that I miss in today's game. So it is that I would stick with Votto until he is ready to retire. Let him join the likes of Bench and Larkin as truly lifelong Reds. I know that there will soon come a time that he could be replaced by a cheaper, more productive alternative. I think he is an honorable man. He knows this as well. When it is clear that he can no longer help the team, that he knows his career is over, I think he will negotiate his retirement compensation. Call me naive; call me a softy; but that is what I believe.

19. Likes:

North (08-16-2019),RedForLife (08-16-2019)

Best we can do is hope the NL gets the DH in the next year or two and not playing in the field as much will hold off some of his decline.

Turn Off Ads?