Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a question how long has Reds Zone been around?

I have a question how long has Reds Zone been around?

I've only been a member for two years now, maybe less but I promise you if I would have known this board existed a long time a go I would have already been a contributing member. The only thing that I knew I could post about reds baseball was in the ESPN forums and then they stopped and I didn't know at the time that other different kinds of forums actually existed until one day i googled reds message boards and this was like at the top of the list. I was shocked to see the thread count and how many posts there was and I've seen other teams message boards in all sports and I haven't seen anyone who beats the reds message board as far as posts and views with the exception of the Yankees, I just checked out there message board and it blows this one out of the water. Now granted I haven't seen all teams message boards but I would place this one in top 2. I will say the only thing that bothers me is I like to know if someone replies directly to one of my posts I would like to be able to see that instead of clicking on my username and then clicking on one of my posts then scrolling down. Sometimes there will be like ten plus pages you have to scroll through just to see if someone had replied directly to you. If there's a way to check to see if someone replied to your post directly please let me know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I have a question how long has Reds Zone been around?

Boss Hog set up Redszone in early 2000. Others can tell you the history better.

If you are looking at other team's forums, you should look at the Sons of Sam Horn site.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Boss Hog set up Redszone in early 2000. Others can tell you the history better.

If you are looking at other team's forums, you should look at the Sons of Sam Horn site.
    LOL yeah I just kind of checked them out. Not interested in Redsox baseball or Patriots football.

Quote Originally Posted by chris9341 View Post
    LOL yeah I just kind of checked them out. Not interested in Redsox baseball or Patriots football.
    Yeah, Bawstun fans are real 'pains'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Yeah, Bawstun fans are real 'pains'.
    They still manage to act afflicted despite a 21st century that's been one long parade. It's remarkable to watch from up close.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

OGB (08-14-2019),thatcoolguy_22 (08-17-2019),Tuff Nut (08-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They still manage to act afflicted despite a 21st century that's been one long parade. It's remarkable to watch from up close.
    Yeah, I moved to Boston in 2003 and lived there for 7 years. Pretty incredible run. There must be almost complete indifference to Patriots Super Bowl parades at this point! The 2004 World Series parade was a doozy.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I joined soon after this site was set up.

Prior to that, many of us were posting on another site of which the name escapes me for now.

And before that, around 1995 or so, I started posting on the Reds section in fastball.com.

And before that I was posting in the Prodigy service's Reds section.

I'm old.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

Chip R (08-14-2019),cumberlandreds (08-14-2019),Rockermann (08-14-2019),Rojo (08-17-2019),SunDeck (08-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

Prior to that, many of us were posting on another site of which the name escapes me for now.

And before that, around 1995 or so, I started posting on the Reds section in fastball.com.

I'm old.
    You don't remember the Enquirer's message board? Good lord that place was a cesspool.
    That's where I came over from.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-14-2019),Ron Madden (08-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    You don't remember the Enquirer's message board? Good lord that place was a cesspool.
    Same. I ended up on the Enquirer message board in the lead up to the Junior trade. Oh the days of Gallagher and other lesser quality trolls. I saw Boss or someone else post a link here. I had a different handle initially. Can't remember what it was. So glad I found this place. It's been a hell of a run.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Same. I ended up on the Enquirer message board in the lead up to the Junior trade. Oh the days of Gallagher and other lesser quality trolls. I saw Boss or someone else post a link here. I had a different handle initially. Can't remember what it was. So glad I found this place. It's been a hell of a run.
    Griffey is not your savior!

16. Likes:

919191 (08-15-2019),Hoosier Red (08-14-2019),Larkin Fan (08-14-2019),wolfboy (08-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

I'm old.
    Prodigy...brought to you by Sears.

It was ok, but I switched back to Compuserve. You had to display your real name and your membership account number when you posted, back then.

Then came the use of pseudonyms.

And then everything changed.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I know there was something between Fastball and RedsZone, and the Enquirer message board may have been that. Was Richard Hand a regular poster there?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

19. Likes:

919191 (08-15-2019),Chip R (08-14-2019),Rojo (08-17-2019),Ron Madden (08-14-2019),westofyou (08-14-2019)

When did we do the big board structure switch?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    Whiffey
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

22. Likes:

919191 (08-15-2019),Hoosier Red (08-14-2019),Number_Fourteen (08-17-2019),Old school 1983 (08-14-2019),Rojo (08-17-2019),Ron Madden (08-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    Wasn't it "Whiffy is not your savior!"

Funny looking back on it. Internet message boards were new. And it was apparently the perfect storm. Seattle, a city known for mental health issues(probably because of the rain 364 days a year, 365 on leap years) lost their first true baseball hero, the guy that put them on the map. We at the time were giddy. They were like the old boyfriend harassing the new boyfriend. And they came in droves. And then they went on to win more games than any other team in the history of baseball and yet still wouldn't let it go. Then they saw others leave and we were thinking, "maybe they'll go harass Rangers fans over A-Rod". But no, that they could handle.

It destroyed the board. It turned Reds fans against Reds fans. Brought in more Cardinals fans and instead of a healthy rivalry, they just followed suit and bashed on Griffey with their new found pals, the Mariners fans.

As mentioned earlier, message boards were new and I guess it never occurred to the Enquirer that a little effort in monitoring them would be needed.
    Last edited by foster15; 08-14-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Turn Off Ads?