Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bauer traded to Reds - part 2

Re: Bauer traded to Reds - part 2

Bauer is high floor and high ceiling, and didn't cost that much in terms of prospects or dollars. He's also tradable for a Trammel-like return at any point in the next 350 days. It might not work out but it was a perfectly reasonable thing to do (and I've been among the first to say so when this group has made decisions I thought were unreasonable).

2. Likes:

HammerTime (08-15-2019),RedsFanInMS (08-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mamell View Post
    Let's recap since the trade.. Puig with Cleveland hitting .357, .984 OPS,
    Bauer with the Reds, 13 earned runs in 16 innings with a 7.31 ERA. Should have kept Puig and made him a starting pitcher.. OK, not really, but unless Bauer rights his personal ship this may go down as amongst the worst trade of recent memory.
    Good thing baseball has a season longer than 2 weeks

5. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (08-25-2019),RedsFanInMS (08-16-2019),Revering4Blue (08-15-2019),Ron Madden (08-15-2019)

This isn't about Puig, IMO. The question is how you value TT, and pretty much nothing else. Outside of TT, the move from the Reds perspective going forward is replacing Roark with Bauer for 2020. Castillo and Gray are still on board and Bauer should be at least as good as Roark and COULD be much better.

As a bonus, moving Puig gives us an opportunity to try out our young outfielders to see what we have the rest of this season. Most Reds fans would have no idea who Aquino was if not for the Puig trade. That has been fun and gives us a potential option for RF next year that wasn't really on the radar prior.

Bauer got roughed up for sure, but nothing I saw changed my view of the trade or my optimism for next season.

7. Likes:

HammerTime (08-15-2019)

Who were and are the other elite starters available that will play in Cincy? In my eyes, Bauer was very clearly the best guy out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Who were and are the other elite starters available that will play in Cincy? In my eyes, Bauer was very clearly the best guy out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s possible Alex Wood is a better bet. They desperately need left handed starters.

And I do think the downside risk with Bauer is being overlooked by Redszone. He needs coaching. How coachable is he? If he has a 6 ERA in May, does he have the self control to ask for help?
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 08-15-2019 at 05:57 PM.

One option not being considered is to flip Bauer. He was just traded and the team that traded him ended up with 5 guys. One solid rental, one decent offensive player, a high end pitching prospect and two lotto tickets. If his market value is 60% of that, it may still be a move worth making. His projected salary can be used on another option. It's not out of the question and the Reds could still end up with better than what they gave up.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

11. Likes:

Rece Tyler (08-15-2019)

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    One option not being considered is to flip Bauer. He was just traded and the team that traded him ended up with 5 guys. One solid rental, one decent offensive player, a high end pitching prospect and two lotto tickets. If his market value is 60% of that, it may still be a move worth making. His projected salary can be used on another option. It's not out of the question and the Reds could still end up with better than what they gave up.
    I think they should be open to this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yea, that is what I've been thinking but it is dependent on Wood showing enough to sign and have sign plus Bauer showing he is worth 5 guys. It is also dependent on finding a team as desperate as the Reds reportedly were to trade for Bauer. That may be unlikely but particularly when lots of arms are available in the winter.

I don't mind someone not being a fan of the trade. WM has been against the trade from the get-go and I respect that.

But to knock Bauer down (not speaking of WM) to justify not liking the deal is silly to me. We have a good sense of who Bauer is. Who are the pitchers out there who are better? (To the point that Bauer is simply average)

I totally get not liking trading a high ranked prospect for 1.3 years of a pitcher. It's as simple as that if you don't like it.

And I'd absolutely float Bauer's name out there this winter/next ST...just to see if anyone bites.

ERA up to 4.25 as of right now. Another 6 runs surrendered through 2 and a third.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

Maybe the Indians are smarter than we’d like to give them credits for.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    ERA up to 4.25 as of right now. Another 6 runs surrendered through 2 and a third.

Let's hope he's got one more phenomenal tantalizing start in him next time out.
    After that we can shut him down and still flip him for a couple of top prospects over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rece Tyler View Post
    Let's hope he's got one more phenomenal tantalizing start in him next time out.
    After that we can shut him down and still flip him for a couple of top prospects over the winter.
    Or he figures it out sometime between now and next season, and turns in a standout season in 2020, leading the Reds to the playoffs.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

Gotta wonder whether he's hiding an injury or something like that.

I've always thought he was a little bit overrated but he was always at least solid, and he's had two of the worst starts of his entire career since coming to The Reds. Hopefully he's just pressing and/or working through a rough patch, but I'd be lying if I said this isn't very worrisome.

The Indians are very smart organization. That's why the whole "hey, we're willing to trade Kluber!" stuff over the winter made me so nervous. The fact that The Indians were willing to part with this guy in the middle of a pennant race when Kluber was alreay hurt is a little bit weird to me.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we'll all be laughing about this next year as he posts a sub-3 ERA season along with Castillo and Sonny.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

20. Likes:

REDREAD (08-30-2019)

Or just cut bait....

I say we flip him for prospects and then use the money saved to resign Puig.

Turn Off Ads?