Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bauer traded to Reds - part 2

Re: Bauer traded to Reds - part 2

Bauer has never played on a bad team before, I wonder how much playing in meaningless games is effecting him.
    Last edited by Crumbley; 08-26-2019 at 02:17 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rece Tyler View Post
    "A player's salary can indeed be reduced in arbitration -- with 20 percent being the maximum amount by which a salary can be cut."
    -MLB.com

with Bauer having made $13M this season while stinking up the joint the team can offer him $10.4M for the '20 season. Which is a salary much more in line with his career numbers. (as well as far easier to digest from a fan's perspective)

And as for "the Reds just paid a ton for him" - - - - - - -all we gave up was 2 months of free agent to be Puig and a couple of minor leaguers who, chances are, will never even make it to The Show.
    If the Reds offered him $10.4 mil and he submitted $20 mil, he'd win because of the Reds' stupidity. He's not going to get a pay cut. Oh, and that would surely anger him and presumably destroy any chance the Reds have at resigning him.

He's had a few rough starts with the Reds, but he's been better than average this year.

Edit: I don't believe he's compared to FA's either, but players on the same arbitration level currently and historically. Bottom line: he's getting a raise and the $18 mil figure is a solid projection.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 08-25-2019 at 10:24 PM.

4. Likes:

RedlegJake (08-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Bauer didn’t stink up the joint most of the season, just when he came to an actual real MLB division. Not the joke known as the AL Central.

Plus Bauer’s peripherals destroy Roark’s.
    Okay I'm confused.

You're so down on him that you think The Reds should cut bait, but now you're defending his performance and/or peripherals in order to justify why you think he'll get 18 million in arb?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Bauer goes into the arb hearings very well prepared and wins them.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (08-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rece Tyler View Post
    "A player's salary can indeed be reduced in arbitration -- with 20 percent being the maximum amount by which a salary can be cut."
    -MLB.com

with Bauer having made $13M this season while stinking up the joint the team can offer him $10.4M for the '20 season. Which is a salary much more in line with his career numbers. (as well as far easier to digest from a fan's perspective)

And as for "the Reds just paid a ton for him" - - - - - - -all we gave up was 2 months of free agent to be Puig and a couple of minor leaguers who, chances are, will never even make it to The Show.
    It's possible, but it doesn't unless a guy just has a disaster season and usually players who would merit a decrease are simply non-tendered and never actually go to arb. If the Reds submit a salary that is a reduction from Bauer's 2019 number, that pretty much guarantees that the arbitrator will go with the player's number.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

REDREAD (08-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Okay I'm confused.

You're so down on him that you think The Reds should cut bait, but now you're defending his performance and/or peripherals in order to justify why you think he'll get 18 million in arb?
    He has racked up K numbers. But that doesn’t mean he’s any good or will be any good going forward. Especially given how careful the Reds have to be with payroll.

the bottom line for me is that i think the reds could have and should have received more than 1 year (+2 months) of trevor bauer for the package of taylor trammell, scott moss and 2 months of puig. trammell (despite his poor year) and moss is a lot to give up for a rental of a good but not great pitcher. and i do believe bauer is a good starting pitcher. his rough time thus far with the reds does not change my opinion, because it's far too small of a sample size. i do like the idea of castillo, gray, bauer leading the reds' 2020 rotation, but i still think the reds gave up too much for him. trammell was still a very highly-rated prospect (top 30 in all of MLB/the reds' top prospect) despite his poor season in 2019. if you give up your top prospect for a one-year rental, you better be right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Okay I'm confused.

I can at least see where they are coming from w/ this assessment.

Arbitration is a lot about past performance and name recognition, it's not actually representative of the market IMO.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

There may be a way out of this. An easy way.

When the deal was consummated, did anyone yell "BLACK, BLACK, NO TRADE BACK?"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...20trade%20back
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I would absolutely not put it past Castellini to say “I really like this guy, we have to go get him. Make it happen.” We know he’s played favorites and vetoed trades for Reds players, I don’t see why he wouldn’t have his favorites on other teams as well.
    Yes, but if that were the case then I can't see Castellini allowing them to trade Puig to make it happen. Puig was a fan favorite and a PR man's dream. Bob would have told them to trade someonw else to get Bauer.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

757690 (08-26-2019)

Damaged goods? When Bauer was traded to the Reds, he said he has partially torn ligaments in his left ankle, and he has been healthy for only 7 or 8 starts this year: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ear/ar-AAF9uCm

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Ohiohaybaler; 08-26-2019 at 09:29 AM.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (08-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Reds were paying $15M for Arroyo earlier this decade and he was worth every penny. SPs now throw fewer IP, but if he can be in the top 10 in that category next season, money well spent.
    bauer is no more then an average to below average sp... his 3rd team, being dumped by a playoff bound team says it all... we gave up way to much for a player like him... this team has an issue with lack of quality pitching.. he is and never will be the answer..

he talks a great game until he gets on the mound.. once that happens reality shows it's horrible truth... even if we did not pay way to much for him, he still has little to no value to a team as a starter... perhaps if they get him to redo his contract.. if he was an out of the bull pen reliever spot starter at 2,000,000...… then perhaps he would have a value.... he could be used to eat up innings in a blow out....

19. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (08-26-2019)

They call me "chef"

When Bauer pitches and this thread gets bumped, I know he had a stinker.

21. Likes:

JFLegal (08-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by toesave View Post
    bauer is no more then an average to below average sp... his 3rd team, being dumped by a playoff bound team says it all... we gave up way to much for a player like him... this team has an issue with lack of quality pitching.. he is and never will be the answer..

he talks a great game until he gets on the mound.. once that happens reality shows it's horrible truth... even if we did not pay way to much for him, he still has little to no value to a team as a starter... perhaps if they get him to redo his contract.. if he was an out of the bull pen reliever spot starter at 2,000,000...… then perhaps he would have a value.... he could be used to eat up innings in a blow out....
    Bauer's career numbers severely disagree with you.

Maybe he's Dempster redux for the Reds, in which case I'll curse him forever. Yet he's got a career 109 ERA+. This isn't particularly tricky stuff. If he drops from his .386 BABIP with the Reds back down to his normal .301 range, he's a quality SP.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

23. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-26-2019),Old school 1983 (08-26-2019),Revering4Blue (08-26-2019),Ron Madden (08-26-2019),The Operator (08-26-2019),westofyou (08-26-2019)

the reds should just shut him down for the rest of the year imo. they are completely toast at this point, and the worst thing that could happen would be bauer getting hurt down the stretch of this lost season.

Turn Off Ads?