Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix the bullpen by moving Disco there?

Fix the bullpen by moving Disco there?

Stay with me here.

In Disco's last start, Brantley mentioned that Disco is trying to use a curveball this year in addition to his slider and fastball. Brantley said that in previous years, Disco used a change up for his third pitch (which was not that great of a pitch).. Brantley felt that Disco's use of a curveball was messing up the mechanics of his slider.

So, I think we agree that when Disco is on, he has a good fastball/slider.
    Brantley was even suggesting that Disco abandon the curve completely.

Given this, why not move Disco to the bullpen, make him a 2-3 inning guy that only sees the lineup once and let him be a potentially very good FB/slider guy. I would try this out for the rest of the year, and if Disco performs well in this role, offer him a multiyear extension. Tell Disco that he can make a very good living as a solid reliever.. much better earning potential than an erratic starting pitcher.. He could be another Lorenzen type out of the pen next year, which means one fewer reliever to add. For the rest of the year, I would use either Mahle or Sims. This is about investing in next year. It may cost us a few games this year, but who cares?
    (IMO)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

Cooper (08-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fix the bullpen by moving Disco there?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Stay with me here.

In Disco's last start, Brantley mentioned that Disco is trying to use a curveball this year in addition to his slider and fastball. Brantley said that in previous years, Disco used a change up for his third pitch (which was not that great of a pitch).. Brantley felt that Disco's use of a curveball was messing up the mechanics of his slider.

Given this, why not move Disco to the bullpen, make him a 2-3 inning guy that only sees the lineup once and let him be a potentially very good FB/slider guy. I would try this out for the rest of the year, and if Disco performs well in this role, offer him a multiyear extension. Tell Disco that he can make a very good living as a solid reliever.. much better earning potential than an erratic starting pitcher.. He could be another Lorenzen type out of the pen next year, which means one fewer reliever to add. For the rest of the year, I would use either Mahle or Sims. This is about investing in next year. It may cost us a few games this year, but who cares?
    (IMO)
    I like what it could do for the 2020 bullpen. Don’t think I like what it would do to the 2020 rotation.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (08-15-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Disco's slider remains his only plus pitch this year, but it is less effective than year's past. His fastball has been more average this year than bad, which is an improvement. Seems like his stuff would really play up in a move to the bullpen. Hopefully the Reds can allow this to happen by having five starters better than him. That's the issue now with Mahle hurt and no one ready to contribute from the minors.

7. Likes:

marcshoe (08-16-2019),REDREAD (08-15-2019)

Haunted by walks

Sounds like the perfect third-time-through guy.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Stay with me here.

(IMO)
    Oddly though he has done best this year on his second time around the lineup. This however can always be a reflection of someone not sticking around for the 3rd time if they don't do well earlier. his strike and walk rates do seem better the first go around.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&year=2019&t=p

Times Facing Opponent in Game
    Code:
    Split	          G	PA	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	SB	CS	BB	SO	SO/W	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS	BAbip	tOPS+	sOPS+
    1st PA in G, 	23	207	197	27	52	10	0	12	0	1	9	60	6.67	.264	.296	.497	.794	320	99	115
    2nd PA in G, 	23	207	184	17	44	7	1	6	1	0	20	45	2.25	.239	.312	.386	.698	.284	80	81
    3rd PA in G, 	21	91	81	14	25	6	0	6	0	0	7	18	2.57	.309	.374	.605	.979	.328	146	143
    4th+ PA in G, 	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	0

Pitch Count
    Code:
    Split	          G	PA	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	SB	CS	BB	SO	SO/W	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS	BAbip	tOPS+	sOPS+
    Pitch 1-25	23	146	139	24	39	8	0	11	0	1	7	37	5.29	.281	.315	.576	.891	.308	121	130
    Pitch 26-50	23	148	137	12	34	7	0	7	0	1	8	37	4.63	.248	.288	.453	.740	.287	87	93
    Pitch 51-75	23	133	113	10	27	3	1	1	1	0	16	33	2.06	.239	.341	.310	.651	.325	73	77
    Pitch 76-100	19	77	72	12	21	5	0	5	0	0	5	15	3.00	.292	.338	.569	.907	.308	127	130
    Pitch 101+	1	1	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	1		.000	.000	.000	.000	0	0-100	-100

10. Likes:

Cooper (08-16-2019),REDREAD (08-15-2019)

They could do this to avoid too many innings on Disco’s arm this season.

But for next year he’s a pretty good, experienced, reasonably priced, 5-innings BOR starter.

I think that will be his role for next season, if he’s still with the team.

12. Likes:

jimbo (08-15-2019),REDREAD (08-15-2019)

Good point about the void in the rotation if Disco leaves.
    I didn't realize that Mahle was hurt.
    At the same time though, I would rather prepare for 2020.
    Disco is not going to help us compete next year.. We are going to have to really replace him and Wood (if not resigned). It seems like it would be relatively easy to find a BOR guy that can give us "Disco starting numbers" or better in the offseason.
    It's probably harder to add a Lorenzen like reliever than to find a BOR guy of Disco's caliber (or better)

I'd rather build for the future, even if that means every 5th day is worse without Disco starting. Let Sims and the rusty bullpen arms eat the innings every 5th day.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

It seems like it would be a good idea, but to dovetail with the stats posted above, seems to me that most teams get to Anthony early in the game.

That's a bad formula for success in the pen.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

15. Likes:

Rantly (08-15-2019)

Disco is a perfect #4 starter. They’ll need him in the rotation.

17. Likes:

mth123 (08-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Disco is a perfect #4 starter.
    ......in 2015.

If the Reds add another quality pitcher this offseason, I see Mahle being the #5, while Disco is moved to the pen. Disco just hasn't been the same since the injury, a near 4.80 FIP the past 2 seasons (4.32) for Mahle. Mahle isn't a FA until the end of 2023, while Disco is a FA after next year. If I'm the Reds, and I'm thinking short and long term-- it's Mahle who I want to get the innings as a starter.

Besides, I think Disco has the chance to be better out of the pen. If a SP gets hurt in the 2020 rotation, then Disco moves back into the spot. If the Reds acquire no pitcher this offseason, then no big deal-- Castillo, Bauer, Gray, Mahle, Disco.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (08-19-2019)

Seems easier to just fix the pen then find more starters.
    Go Gators!

Disco got $2.1 million this year, so figure in arbitration he’ll get $4-4.5 million after a decent season as a starting pitcher.

As a starter in that price range, he’s a keeper. As a reliever, he’s non-tendered IMO.

He’s an injury risk, he allows lots of homers, he’s never been a relief pitcher for the Reds. My guess is Reds would rather have the money than experiment with Disco in next year’s pen. He’s more proven in the rotation, and is a bargain as a SP at that price level.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-16-2019 at 01:17 PM.

22. Likes:

marcshoe (08-16-2019),mth123 (08-16-2019)

I don't like the idea of moving Disco, but I do like the idea of multi-inning relievers. Reds have a pile of guy who've moved from prospect to suspect -- Mahle, Stephenson, Reed -- who might be able to fill in some innings and, possibly, re-establish some value.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Disco got $2.1 million this year, so figure in arbitration he’ll get $4-4.5 million after a decent season as a starting pitcher.

As a starter in that price range, he’s a keeper. As a reliever, he’s non-tendered IMO.

He’s an injury risk, he allows lots of homers, he’s never been a relief pitcher for the Reds. My guess is Reds would rather have the money than experiment with Disco in next year’s pen. He’s more proven in the rotation, and is a bargain as a SP at that price level.
    If the Reds are not willing to spend 4-4.5 million on a reliever, the bullpen will be another disaster next year.

People bring up his stats, but you really can't use his "first time through the lineup" stats to predict how he will do as a reliever. Relievers can go "maximum effort" when they appear. Starters need to pace themselves, use three pitches instead of two.. Just too many differences.. That's why I prefer auditioning Disco as a reliever now.. IF it doesn't work, they can always put him back in the rotation in 2020. If Disco could be an impact reliever (not guaranteed, but possible), that's more valuable than a mediocre #5 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    ......in 2015.

If the Reds add another quality pitcher this offseason, I see Mahle being the #5, while Disco is moved to the pen. Disco just hasn't been the same since the injury, a near 4.80 FIP the past 2 seasons (4.32) for Mahle. Mahle isn't a FA until the end of 2023, while Disco is a FA after next year. If I'm the Reds, and I'm thinking short and long term-- it's Mahle who I want to get the innings as a starter.

Besides, I think Disco has the chance to be better out of the pen. If a SP gets hurt in the 2020 rotation, then Disco moves back into the spot. If the Reds acquire no pitcher this offseason, then no big deal-- Castillo, Bauer, Gray, Mahle, Disco.
    Mahle’s the one who shouldn’t be in anyone’s rotation.

26. Likes:

The Villian (08-21-2019)

Turn Off Ads?