Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Relief Pitching Targets

Offseason Relief Pitching Targets

Weve already hashed out that the lineup needs some big additions to it if theyre going to contend next year, but the bullpen is also a major weakness too that needs some big time upgrades. Im trying to figure out how they can turn the pen into a strength, given that I feel like they need a legit relief ace down there and then 1 or two additional dependable guys.

There are a few big names that could fit the closer type role. Chapman is a free agent again this offseason most likely. I would definitely be in favor of bringing him back for a reunion.

Dellin Betances is a another good backend guy, but I view him as being more of an Amir Garrett type than a closer/fireman type guy. Probably wont come cheap either.

Just digging through some other names, I like Luis Avilan as a David Hernandez type circa pre-2018, in the sense that hes an early 30s guy who had somewhat of a down year this season, but has been mostly a very solid reliever for most of his career. Wouldnt mind them going after him as a middle innings guy.

Not sure what trade targets might be out there though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offseason Relief Pitching Targets

Mychal Givens.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

4. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-16-2019)

I know many on this board probably don't like him, but Pedro Strop would be my #1 target. The guy produces solid results year in and year out, plus we'd be taking him form a division rival. Others I would target would be Will Smith, Hector Rondon, and maybe Cody Allen on a minor-league deal and see if he can regain his form.

6. Likes:

DocRed (08-16-2019),Mitri (08-15-2019),mth123 (08-15-2019)

Assuming Aroldis opts out of his current deal I could see the Reds bringing him back if they're unable to get someone like Didi, Grandal or if they fail to resign Wood. As they're going to have to bring in at least one big name this offseason I think.

Not sure I'd be in favor of it though. I think they'd be better off spending that money on multiple relievers.

Depending on how Kuhnel, Sims, and Stephenson finish the Reds should be in the market for at least 2 FA pitchers.

Guys I like:

1) Will Smith-LHRP might be too pricy
    2) Hector Rondon-RHRP
    3) Chris Martin-RHRP
    4) Anthony Swarzak-RHRP
    5) Arodys Vizcaino-RHRP
    6) Steve Cishek-RHRP

Who do we assume is returning in the bullpen?

1. Amir Garrett - Left
    2. Michael Lorenzen - Right
    3. Rasiel Iglesias - Right
    4. Robert Stephenson - Right ??
    5. Cody Reed - Left ??
    6. Tyler Mahle - Right ??
    7. Lucas Sims - Right ??
    8. Kevin Gausman - Right??
    9. Joel Kuhnel - Right ??
    10. Matt Bowman - Right ??
    11. Wandy Peralta - Left ??
    12. Sal Romano - Right ??

We likely will take 8 relief pitchers into the season, and we already have 10+ internal guys competing for those slots. I assume we add 1 or maybe 2 relief pitchers via FA/Trades?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Who do we assume is returning in the bullpen?

1. Amir Garrett - Left
    2. Michael Lorenzen - Right
    3. Rasiel Iglesias - Right
    4. Robert Stephenson - Right ??
    5. Cody Reed - Left ??
    6. Tyler Mahle - Right ??
    7. Lucas Sims - Right ??
    8. Kevin Gausman - Right??
    9. Joel Kuhnel - Right ??
    10. Matt Bowman - Right ??
    11. Wandy Peralta - Left ??
    12. Sal Romano - Right ??

We likely will take 8 relief pitchers into the season, and we already have 10+ internal guys competing for those slots. I assume we add 1 or maybe 2 relief pitchers via FA/Trades?
    The only ones out of that group I’m really interested in penciling in are Garrett, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Stephenson, and maybe Reed and Kuhnel. Aside from that they need significant upgrades. Romano and Peralta should be cut, Gausman is also a nontender candidate if he doesn’t start putting up some 0’s out the pen. Mahle should be rotation depth more than anything.

They need at least a legit closer type, at least one more very solid middle innings guy. And if they’re going to use the pen the way they have this year, they’re going to need to pick up some solid depth they can keep at AAA when guys need rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

11. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-16-2019)

Barring any trades, I would say Iglesias, Garrett, Lorenzen and Kuhnel are the locks for bullpen 2020.

Sims, Stephenson and Reed look like potential middle relief options, but I would like to see the Reds make these the last 3 options in the pen.

Mahle, Gausman, and Disco (and possibly Wood, but I doubt it) will be fighting for the last two rotation slots. No idea who the Reds plan on keeping, but unless they convince Gausman he's a reliever, and cut his salary significantly, I would expect these three to be starting for the Reds or some other team. Mahle/Disco could be interesting trade options for teams over the winter.

Probably time to cut ties with Bowman, Romano and Peralta.

Internal options also include Jimmy Herget, Keury Mella and Vlad Guitierrez, who have all struggled this season.

Reds seem loathe to give up young pitchers before they have to do so. I need some verification from KINSM on this, but I believe Peralta, Bowman, and Romano have an option remaining. Likely that they start at AAA. Obviously, Kuhnel also has options. Mahle can also be optioned if the starting rotation is set.

Thus, at this early stage I would guess that Garrett, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Stephenson, Sims, Reed, and Gausman have the inside track. Reds will probably address what I believe is their most glaring need, obtaining a LH relief pitcher. With trades, 40 man roster additions, arbitration offers, spring training, and even another 6 weeks of season still ahead, precise predictions are a fool's errand.

I think at least checking in on Chapman would make a lot of sense. Typically the top closer available on a market would have no interest or connection to Cincy, but we know it's not the case here.

Collin McHugh would be a good target. He got bombed when the Astros put him in the rotation this year but has been good out of the pen, and he was excellent in that role last year. Seems like a great fit for Johnson and Cotham (and teammate for Bauer) given his excellent spin rates. Yusmeiro Petit is a pretty reliable, steady arm.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-16-2019),marcshoe (08-16-2019),Wonderful Monds (08-16-2019)

I would absolutely avoid big money arms unless we are talking the true elite arms like Chapman. Otherwise, grab some change of scenery types, identify guys who the pitching coaches think are a quick fix away, or target some undervalued players like we did with Hernandez and Hughes.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

This may be the most important topic of the year. I've been wondering myself. It will take no less than two, one which must be a quality LHP.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I'd say Iglesias, Garrett and Lorenzen are the only locks. All the other guys should be competing for the two mop-up spots that rotate on the AAA shuttle (option situations might be an issue). They can't do enough between now and the end of the year to be handed a more important role IMO. Three more proven guys need to be brought in. One late inning guy, preferably a RH and two middle innings guys, ideally a RH and LH. Will Smith, Mychal Givens and Pedro Strop sound like decent targets. I like McHugh as well.

If they could get a closer type like Chapman, then Iglesias and Garrett could be the late inning guys from the RH and LH side. Iglesias would need to embrace an arrangement like that for it to work. My guess is he'd be more likely to accept stepping aside for Chapman than somebody like Smith.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

19. Likes:

Rece Tyler (08-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd say Iglesias, Garrett and Lorenzen are the only locks. All the other guys should be competing for the two mop-up spots that rotate on the AAA shuttle (option situations might be an issue). They can't do enough between now and the end of the year to be handed a more important role IMO. Three more proven guys need to be brought in. One late inning guy, preferably a RH and two middle innings guys, ideally a RH and LH. Will Smith, Mychal Givens and Pedro Strop sound like decent targets. I like McHugh as well.

If they could get a closer type like Chapman, then Iglesias and Garrett could be the late inning guys from the RH and LH side. Iglesias would need to embrace an arrangement like that for it to work. My guess is he'd be more likely to accept stepping aside for Chapman than somebody like Smith.
    Michael lorenzen doesn't need to handed anything. He has been average at best this year. Where look at the advanced numbers Robert Stephenson's actually been the better pitcher
    Crazy Reds Fan

Nobody....all relievers suck!

Move Peraza to the pen

Turn Off Ads?