Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFL 2019

AFL 2019

Anyone heard anything about this year's AFL?

Guys I'd like to see go:

Jonathon India
    Ibandel Isabel
    Stuart Fairchild
    Tyler Stephenson
    Alfredo Rodriguez

Ryan Hendrix
    Tyler Jay
    Reiver Sanmartin
    Ryan Nutof
    Connor Curlis
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-19-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AFL 2019

That's not a bad list. They switch teams a lot. This year they are the Glendale Desert Dogs.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Thinking your list again....AlfRod played last year so I'm assuming he won't go again. But this year players from any level can go, in his place might be Garcia. And I might substitute Powers for SanMartin. They like to send relievers or starters who missed time.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Like to see Connor Bennett go.

7. Likes:

JaxRed (08-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Anyone heard anything about this year's AFL?

Guys I'd like to see go:

Jonathon India
    Ibandel Isabel
    Stuart Fairchild
    Tyler Stephenson
    Alfredo Rodriguez

Ryan Hendrix
    Tyler Jay
    Reiver Sanmartin
    Ryan Nutof
    Connor Curlis
    India is playing in his first full season of pro ball - I'd shut him down
    Isabel is a FA, a few days after the AFL concludes - why bother?
    Stepehenson is going to be added to the 40 man, I wouldn't risk injury in the AFL - it's been a long season
    Sanmartin has never pitched this many innings, he should probably be shutdown now

R. Hendrix should definitely be going, Brian Rey and/or Drew Mount should probably go. Friedl, Romero, Jordan, Brown, and Thomas should probably all go if healthy (now that the minimum active dl requirement has been lifted). Should see a ton of guys who spent most of the year on the DL there now.

EDIT: I forgot about Finnegan, he'd be the first player on the roster if I were the Reds.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 08-21-2019 at 08:57 AM.

9. Likes:

BillDoran (08-21-2019),Edd Roush (08-21-2019),RED VAN HOT (08-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    India is playing in his first full season of pro ball - I'd shut him down
    Isabel is a FA, a few days after the AFL concludes - why bother?
    Stepehenson is going to be added to the 40 man, I wouldn't risk injury in the AFL - it's been a long season
    Sanmartin has never pitched this many innings, he should probably be shutdown now

R. Hendrix should definitely be going, Brian Rey and/or Drew Mount should probably go. Friedl, Romero, Jordan, Brown, and Thomas should probably all go if healthy (now that the minimum active dl requirement has been lifted). Should see a ton of guys who spent most of the year on the DL there now.

EDIT: I forgot about Finnegan, he'd be the first player on the roster if I were the Reds.
    I thought of Finnegan, but I figured he'd be on the big league roster before the end of the year and would take him out of it.

As for India, Stephenson, etc. If the reds want to capitalize on their one year window, they probably need to showcase these guys so they can deal them to fill holes. The Bauer trade says go all in. Reds have 4 or 5 holes to fill to move to the level of actual contention. Not fringe, squint real hard maybe they have a chance if a couple of other teams have a plane crash or something kind of contention, but actual looks improsing on paper contention. They are going to be below average offensively at 3 spots (1B, C, SS) have questions at 2 others (2B, RF) and have the real possibility of a sophomore slump in CF. They need to acquire a couple of established bats to convert those known holes or question marks into bankable production or the 2020 season will be over before it begins. Even if they do that stuff, they still need 2 or 3 relievers who are at least as good as Lorenzen (and at least one who is a lot better).

They need some near ready players to have big years in the AFL followed by an active winter of converting them into big league production IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-21-2019 at 09:28 PM.

I hope the evaluation of Mitch Nay continues in the AFL. He's older than other players there, but his AA showing this year makes it desirable, IMHO, to keep looking at him.

12. Likes:

JaxRed (08-22-2019),mace (08-24-2019)

Here are the Reds going to the AFL: http://www.mlb.com/documents/6/3/2/3...ogs_Roster.pdf

Diomar Lopez
    Jordan Johnson
    Dauri Moreta
    Cory Thompson

Tyler Stephenson

Jonathan India
    Jose Garcia

Stuart Fairchild

14. Likes:

mace (08-28-2019),RED VAN HOT (08-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Here are the Reds going to the AFL: http://www.mlb.com/documents/6/3/2/3...ogs_Roster.pdf

Diomar Lopez
    Jordan Johnson
    Dauri Moreta
    Cory Thompson

Tyler Stephenson

Jonathan India
    Jose Garcia

Stuart Fairchild
    well the position guys are interesting. Probably the top 4 position prospects in the system and all with a shot at debuting in 2020.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-28-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I really was hoping for Brandon Finnegan.

18. Likes:

mth123 (08-28-2019)

It's hard to make a case for Jordan Johnson. Cory Thompson has had good numbers before AA. Reds must see some potential there.

Year after year, Reds send just warm bodies to pitch in AFL. I wouldn't read anything into who they sent.

21. Likes:

NC Reds (08-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Year after year, Reds send just warm bodies to pitch in AFL. I wouldn't read anything into who they sent.
    Exactly. The Reds do so well developing these pitcher on their own, why should they send their top guys to the AFL where some other team's staff my be involved in coaching them?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    well the position guys are interesting. Probably the top 4 position prospects in the system and all with a shot at debuting in 2020.
    My first thought is that this is a really aggressive way to grab some trade helium for a premium guy.

If Stephenson and India tear it up, perhaps the Reds can get two years of Francisco Lindor...?

24. Likes:

mth123 (08-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

Diomar Lopez
    Jordan Johnson
    Dauri Moreta
    Cory Thompson

Tyler Stephenson

Jonathan India
    Jose Garcia

Stuart Fairchild
    If Garcia can hit similarly to how he did this year in A+, I'd be fine with starting him in AAA next year.

I doubt the Reds would ever be that aggressive, but I'd love to see how he might respond. Fairchild too.

India and Stephenson would cement their status as AAA guys. (And trade pieces.)

Thompson and Moreta are also candidates to move multiple levels-- if they dominate/ show serious stuff in the AFL.

Turn Off Ads?