Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many HR's for Geno in 2019?

Re: How many HR's for Geno in 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Wally Post
    Wasn't following back then. Are you saying that Wally Post was very low profile while he was playing and hitting 40 or are you saying historically? Or both of course?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Wasn't following back then. Are you saying that Wally Post was very low profile while he was playing and hitting 40 or are you saying historically? Or both of course?
    I would say both. He wasn't the first (or even second) player on his own club that people thought of when thinking of the Reds (Ted Kluszewski and Gus Bell held that distinction.) And the year after Post hit 40, he hit 36 but moved one step further down the ladder, as that was Frank Robinson's rookie year.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-30-2019)

If you had to bet on one getting 7 more HR's this year......Geno or Aquino, who do risk your money on?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I would say both. He wasn't the first (or even second) player on his own club that people thought of when thinking of the Reds (Ted Kluszewski and Gus Bell held that distinction.) And the year after Post hit 40, he hit 36 but moved one step further down the ladder, as that was Frank Robinson's rookie year.
    Thanks. I'm going to guess that the biggest difference is that Eugenio would be the consensus best position player the Reds have on their team at this moment proven over a multi-year period. He really flies under the radar for someone in that position. I guess I've been amazed at how little he's talked about ever since he joined the club and hit 13 homers his first year. I remember licking my chops at my fantasy draft in 2016 because I didn't have to draft a shortstop(even though he played 3rd, yahoo allowed us to use him at SS) until late knowing that nobody else in my small fantasy league out of Illinois knew who he was. And he continually has gotten better and better. I guess he is who he is with no surprises and he's just not that interesting to talk about, even by Reds fans. Unique to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    If you had to bet on one getting 7 more HR's this year......Geno or Aquino, who do risk your money on?
    That's a great question. I would have to give that a lot of thought. I guess I wouldn't be surprised by either one doing or not doing it. I mean none of us would be surprised to see Aquino cool off considerably and the same with Geno taking into consideration his September numbers. I guess if you made me pick right now, I'd go with Geno just because that's really all that's left for him. He has to have it on his mind that he'd like to move into the position of being in the record books with a Johnny Bench. Also the fact that he's being protected by Aquino in the batting order.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    porque no los dos?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

9. Likes:

bm1475 (09-13-2019),Old school 1983 (08-31-2019)

Seems like a worthy time to top this since he's now tied for 5th on the Reds' all time list and has been "red" hot. He's now tied for second with Trout and trails Alonso by 2. 50 would be some kind of feat, but 5 just seems like a lot even with his recent pace. Even getting to 48 or 49 would be a big deal.

Will he finish with more than Trout? Will he catch Alonso? Should be fun to watch.

Everything HR related in 2019 should have an asterisk by it. Geno is a great player, but what's going on league wide with the HR is a joke.

If Dunn was in his prime today he'd already have at least 60.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Everything HR related in 2019 should have an asterisk by it. Geno is a great player, but what's going on league wide with the HR is a joke.
    I don't really care about this, though. Sure, HR's are elevated, but it's the same ball for every player and compared to his colleagues, Geno is having one hell of a year.

14. Likes:

adkindo (09-13-2019),alwaysawarrior (09-16-2019),Chip R (09-19-2019),RedlegJake (09-13-2019),Ron Madden (09-13-2019),The Operator (09-15-2019)

50 on the last game of the season and beats out Alonso for the HR title!

I think he has a real shot @ 51....

Perhaps 50 is in the cards now. Still can't see 52 or 53. Wonder if he can finish at the top of the list.

David Schoenfield
    ESPN Senior Writer

Fun note from ESPN Stats & Info: Eugenio Suarez, now tied with Pete Alonso for the MLB lead with 47 home runs, trailed then leader Christian Yelich by 11 HRs at the All-Star break. The biggest second-half deficit to overcome for the season HR leader was Jimmie Foxx, who was 12 behind the leader at the All-Star break and finished tied for the MLB with 36 home runs.

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t reach 50 at this point.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?