Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aquino Named NL Rookie and Player of the Month

Re: Aquino Named NL Rookie and Player of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Senzel had sustained minor league success?
    Yes.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-18-2019),Revering4Blue (09-17-2019),Wonderful Monds (09-17-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

He came from nowhere? I guess that's true. I mean it wasn't like he was the Red minor league hitter of the year at one point. Or that he showed tremendous power in the FSL. He faced advanced pitching in AA and struggled with contact, but not power. He remade his swing, and exploded with the talent the Reds always believed he had. And now pitchers have made an adjustment to him, and he has to follow suit. He's inexpensive, under team control, and the team has more pressing needs than RF... like CF and LF and 2B and SS, and closer, and 4th SP and 5th SP...
    You aren’t genuinely going to argue that Senzel didn’t have an extremely successful minor league career are you?

He came from nowhere? I guess that's true. I mean it wasn't like he was the Red minor league hitter of the year at one point. Or that he showed tremendous power in the FSL. He faced advanced pitching in AA and struggled with contact, but not power. He remade his swing, and exploded with the talent the Reds always believed he had. And now pitchers have made an adjustment to him, and he has to follow suit. He's inexpensive, under team control, and the team has more pressing needs than RF... like CF and LF and 2B and SS, and closer, and 4th SP and 5th SP...
    I'm not saying he doesn't have raw skills. But, he certainly had a lot of ups and downs. Last year at this time no one thought anything of him not being on the 40 man. Any time someone blasts off like a shooting star after not doing much for years I'm skeptical. For every Jose Bautista there's a ton more that fall back. I'm not saying he won't turn out to be Bautista, but if the Reds want to compete next year I don't think they should be banking on that.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 09-17-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You aren’t genuinely going to argue that Senzel didn’t have an extremely successful minor league career are you?
    Yep. His talent in the minors, not in question. His ability to stay on the field? Very much so. Missed significant time, and was ill prepared for the rigors of this season. It isn't about talent. It's about health and development. He's had little of both. Aquino's 1st month was better than Senzel's entire season. Maybe next year he'll get through the entire season, and I really hope he does, because he has a very high ceiling. But to say his minor league career was successful is not accurate. More like he was doing very well when he was there, but he was absent a lot.

He's an important part of the Reds immediate future. It'd be nice if they better prepared him for it. Like maybe getting a real CF so he can man 2B for the next 8-10 years.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

In another down year for the Reds, Aquino is the only thing keeping me interested. If I know he's at the plate, I'll watch. Otherwise I change the chanel. It is the same kind of feeling when Aroldis Chapman first came along. Anytime Chapman was pitching, I was watching.

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    In another down year for the Reds, Aquino is the only thing keeping me interested. If I know he's at the plate, I'll watch. Otherwise I change the chanel. It is the same kind of feeling when Aroldis Chapman first came along. Anytime Chapman was pitching, I was watching.
    Im also the same way with Gray or Castillo pitching or a Suarez AB. While not a thrilling season, they've moved the right direction and we have more bright spots now than we've had in recent history. Don't undersell this team overall. We're really not far off from being contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Im also the same way with Gray or Castillo pitching or a Suarez AB. While not a thrilling season, they've moved the right direction and we have more bright spots now than we've had in recent history. Don't undersell this team overall. We're really not far off from being contenders.
    yeah, right now Suarez has to be the focus....he has a chance at Reds history. 50 HR's is no small feat....there is no guarantee he gets near 50 again in his career.

10. Likes:

Chip R (09-18-2019)

Turn Off Ads?