Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scott Moss

Scott Moss

I just noticed how strong of a finish he had with Cleveland.
    2 starts in AA with 13 K, 5BB, 3 hits and one unearned run in 10IP
    4 starts at AAA with a 1.93 ERA in 18.2 IP with 23 K, 8 BB, and 12 hits.

I hope we don't regret getting rid of this guy.

If he was still in the Reds system I think he'd probably be around their number 4 or 5 SP prospect.
    Any thoughts?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Likes:

REDREAD (09-12-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Moss

I wanted to get hyped about Moss when he was here but last year his strikeouts were too low and this year his walks were too high. And he was always slightly old for his levels with the Reds.

I dont see him sticking as a starter but he might be able to be effective as a reliever given his strikeout stuff.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Reds fans are getting too bogged down in minor league stats when evaluating trades.

They are useful tools in measuring progress, but there’s no reason to regret a trade because somebody does well in the minors. We all know those numbers can go south in the bigs.

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-11-2019),Tom Servo (09-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds fans are getting too bogged down in minor league stats when evaluating trades.

They are useful tools in measuring progress, but there’s no reason to regret a trade because somebody does well in the minors. We all know those numbers can go south in the bigs.
    That's true but at this point this is all we have to go on

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I just noticed how strong of a finish he had with Cleveland.
    2 starts in AA with 13 K, 5BB, 3 hits and one unearned run in 10IP
    4 starts at AAA with a 1.93 ERA in 18.2 IP with 23 K, 8 BB, and 12 hits.

I hope we don't regret getting rid of this guy.

If he was still in the Reds system I think he'd probably be around their number 4 or 5 SP prospect.
    Any thoughts?
    He was strong for us too. In the trade thread, he was the one I hated to give away.

As far as I'm concerned, he was our #2 behind Lodolo. Greene's off my radar till he returns.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-11-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

9. Likes:

HokieRed (09-11-2019),REDREAD (09-12-2019)

Greene has his risk factors but damn if I’d ever keep/rank Moss over him.

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-16-2019),Betterread (09-11-2019),Danny Serafini (09-11-2019),Griffey012 (09-11-2019),Old school 1983 (09-17-2019),Tom Servo (09-11-2019)

Agree with Jax. Never understood just throwing in Moss in this trade. From where I sit, the FO's work in the last year has been mostly a disaster, with the exception of the Sonny Gray trade, and even there I continue to wonder if he couldn't have been gotten for less than Shed Long. [We did give the Yankees a very significant bit of salary relief] Trammell, Downs, Gray, Moss gone, one year of Bauer, and Farmer returned. Doesn't look good to me.

13. Likes:

malcontent (09-17-2019),REDREAD (09-12-2019),Sea Ray (09-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That’s not true. Scouting reports as well.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That’s not true. Scouting reports as well.
    When I said "that's true" I was referring to this statement:

We all know those numbers can go south in the bigs.
    I have no idea what you're referring to when you say "that's not true."

When I said "that's true" I was referring to this statement:

I have no idea what you're referring to when you say "that's not true."
    I’d bet a dozen doughnuts his “not true” was referring to “that’s all we have to go on.”

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-12-2019)

So - with an absence of more definitive information, fans should be patient and avoid drawing conclusions about trades involving prospects still in the minors.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-11-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’d bet a dozen doughnuts his “not true” was referring to “that’s all we have to go on.”
    Minor leagues are all we have to go on for a guy who's never played in the big leagues. That's a pretty simple concept

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So - with an absence of more definitive information, fans should be patient and avoid drawing conclusions about trades involving prospects still in the minors.
    No one's drawing conclusions yet. We can evaluate it, discuss it and give our assessment and in a few yrs it will become more clear. Unfortunately some around here will complain about the hindsight assessments. Can't please everyone

21. Likes:

HokieRed (09-11-2019)

I find it incredible that the Reds even threw him in. The Indians surely wouldn't have said no to everything they received in the deal if the Reds had said no to trading Moss. The Indians are so good at taking one teams junk pitching and turning it into incredible that this scares me more than Trammel because it is 1. The Indians 2. Pitching 3. thought of as a throw in (something tells me the Indians didn't think that way).
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (09-12-2019)

Minor leagues are all we have to go on for a guy who's never played in the big leagues. That's a pretty simple concept
    And scouting reports. Pretty simple concept.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?