Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Scott Moss

  1. #16
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    5,752

    Re: Scott Moss

    I didn't like his inclusion either and was ridiculed for it. Now that it appears the Indians sold us a bag of magic beans, it looks even worse.
    I'm just going to go find a cash machine.

  2. Likes:

    North (09-16-2019),REDREAD (09-12-2019),Rojo Rijo (09-13-2019)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #17
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,329

    Re: Scott Moss

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And scouting reports. Pretty simple concept.
    Scouting reports on minor league games. Exactly my point

  5. #18
    Member Rojo Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,871

    Re: Scott Moss

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I didn't like his inclusion either and was ridiculed for it. Now that it appears the Indians sold us a bag of magic beans, it looks even worse.
    Same here, been a fan of Moss for a while (as I know both of us have, being Gator fans) and I always felt he was undervalued here on RZ. In his four years in the minors he's turned in 58 decisions in 87 games started, thrown 436.2 innings with 456 Ks and 173 BBs. He's a durable lefty with a 6'6 frame and pretty good control. Just because he's never been seen as high potential I feel like he was never given his due around here. Everyone was so focused on losing TT (who caught fire at the very end of the season) and looked at Moss as nothing more than a throw in. There is a very good chance Reds Nation will be looking at Moss differently two years from now.

  6. Likes:

    HokieRed (09-13-2019),malcontent (09-17-2019),REDREAD (09-18-2019),Sea Ray (09-13-2019),TheBigLebowski (09-13-2019)

  7. #19
    Backup First Baseman OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,095

    Re: Scott Moss

    For what it's worth I was simply curious about how his year turned out and wanted to start the thread because that is easily his best ever 6 game stretch and it ended with 4 games in AAA.
    He might turn out to be a big old heap of nothing, but I would agree with those that feel like that trade could've probably been done without Moss included.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

  8. Likes:

    Sea Ray (09-16-2019)

  9. #20
    Member paulrichjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Savannah, TN
    Posts
    4,107

    Re: Scott Moss

    Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    For what it's worth I was simply curious about how his year turned out and wanted to start the thread because that is easily his best ever 6 game stretch and it ended with 4 games in AAA.
    He might turn out to be a big old heap of nothing, but I would agree with those that feel like that trade could've probably been done without Moss included.
    He might turn into nothing but this trade shows the difference in the Indians and Reds organizations. Look at the quality and quantity that came over to the Indians plus the fact that they got a “throw in” that makes you think they didn’t view him as a throw in at all. This season feels a little like when the Reds made deals with the Marlins over the past few seasons except now it’s the Dodgers and Indians that are doing the bargain hunting.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

  10. Likes:

    REDREAD (09-18-2019)

  11. #21
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,329

    Re: Scott Moss

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    He might turn into nothing but this trade shows the difference in the Indians and Reds organizations. Look at the quality and quantity that came over to the Indians plus the fact that they got a “throw in” that makes you think they didn’t view him as a throw in at all. This season feels a little like when the Reds made deals with the Marlins over the past few seasons except now it’s the Dodgers and Indians that are doing the bargain hunting.
    I don't know. I think Moss looked good in the Reds organization too, hence my disgust when they included him

  12. Likes:

    REDREAD (09-18-2019)

  13. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    431

    Re: Scott Moss

    Scott Moss is the second coming of David Holmberg. You're wasting your energies.

  14. #23
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,215

    Re: Scott Moss

    So the trade could have been done without Moss included?

    The Reds just threw him in for poops and giggles?

  15. Likes:

    TRF (09-16-2019)

  16. #24
    Backup First Baseman OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,095

    Re: Scott Moss

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So the trade could have been done without Moss included?

    The Reds just threw him in for poops and giggles?
    Yep, that's precisely what I meant.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

  17. #25
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,215

    Re: Scott Moss

    Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Yep, that's precisely what I meant.
    We all know what I wrote was sarcasm. Life goes on.

    But this is not sarcasm - I know Moss was a “small” piece in the deal. But it is mighty, mighty presumptuous to think that the deal could have been done without him included. You can think that if you want - but there is nothing to back it up. Guys get thrown into deals for a reason.

  18. #26
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    12,019

    Re: Scott Moss

    "How does he compare to Donnie Joseph?" is my question.

  19. Likes:

    Patrick Bateman (09-18-2019),Tom Servo (09-16-2019)

  20. #27
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,329

    Re: Scott Moss

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    We all know what I wrote was sarcasm. Life goes on.

    But this is not sarcasm - I know Moss was a “small” piece in the deal. But it is mighty, mighty presumptuous to think that the deal could have been done without him included. You can think that if you want - but there is nothing to back it up. Guys get thrown into deals for a reason.
    If I'm the Reds, Trammell and Puig are PLENTY to pay for a yr and 2 mos of Bauer. If the Indians insisted on Moss too I'd walk

  21. #28
    Member paulrichjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Savannah, TN
    Posts
    4,107

    Re: Scott Moss

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If I'm the Reds, Trammell and Puig are PLENTY to pay for a yr and 2 mos of Bauer. If the Indians insisted on Moss too I'd walk
    Unless you thought Moss was a big nothing. You don’t think that and have probably never seen him pitch while the Reds have seen him numerous times. Now I agree that to me it is unlikely the Indians would have turned down the deal if the Reds had held out longer but obviously the Reds didn’t feel this way. The Indians showed the Reds how to maximize the return on their assets. I wish the Reds would have learned this lesson 5 years ago...
    Last edited by paulrichjr; 09-17-2019 at 12:17 AM.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

  22. #29
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    32,150

    Re: Scott Moss

    I don't get the recent Moss hype train. And I liked him okay with the Reds, and had hopes he could be an effectively LH reliever or potential backend rotation guy. But are people really expecting him now to become some mid or top of the rotation arm? I just don't get what we're supposed to be deeply regretting at this point.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

  23. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,966

    Re: Scott Moss

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't get the recent Moss hype train. And I liked him okay with the Reds, and had hopes he could be an effectively LH reliever or potential backend rotation guy. But are people really expecting him now to become some mid or top of the rotation arm? I just don't get what we're supposed to be deeply regretting at this point.
    I don't think anybody is deeply regretting losing Moss. I think what posters are exercised about is that it looks as if the Reds threw Moss in without really needing to. That's pretty much conjecture and I don't want to buy into it, but it's not a completely wild conjecture. It's based on the assumption that the Indians were not going to let that whole deal be blocked over Scott Moss. And so if the Reds threw Moss in it looks like part of a pattern, to some folks, of undervaluing prospects: the prime cases being Gray and, at least for me, Downs. I liked the deal with the Dodgers, for a number of reasons, primarily to get beyond the Homer problem, but I'd much preferred it not to include Downs.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator