Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 31 one run losses

31 one run losses

bell is a genius,, stephenson not used appropriately

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: 31 one run losses

Should be using Bill Scherrer in more high leverage situations.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Should be using Bill Scherrer in more high leverage situations.
    ...or Doug Capilla

Better then 31 two run losses
    Go Gators!

6. Likes:

jojo (09-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Better then 31 two run losses
    Not in the W/L columns...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

31 one run losses

Time for another golf analogy:

300 yard drive = 1 stroke
    1 inch putt = 1 stroke

This is not hockey. We don’t get two points for a win.
    Last edited by SomeCallMeTim; 09-11-2019 at 02:13 PM.

9. Likes:

BillDoran (09-11-2019)

Haunted by walks

The last three one-run losses were leads that were given up in the 7th, 8th or 9th innings. The one before that was a loss in the 12th. The one before that was a Bauer start that the offense crawled back to make it 9-8.

I get the feeling that it’s lot like clutch. Be better in general and it takes care of itself. A better offense builds a lead that’s harder to lose. Better relievers can each go one inning without giving up a run.

How many times have the Reds had a decent outing from the starter and a tight lead and you’ve thought, “A two-run lead isn’t going to be enough with this bullpen.”

11. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (09-13-2019),RedsManRick (09-11-2019),wally post (09-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The last three one-run losses were leads that were given up in the 7th, 8th or 9th innings. The one before that was a loss in the 12th. The one before that was a Bauer start that the offense crawled back to make it 9-8.

I get the feeling that it’s lot like clutch. Be better in general and it takes care of itself. A better offense builds a lead that’s harder to lose. Better relievers can each go one inning without giving up a run.

How many times have the Reds had a decent outing from the starter and a tight lead and you’ve thought, “A two-run lead isn’t going to be enough with this bullpen.”
    This is good analysis.

In the Reds case all year it has been a combination of these two cases, but that have one commonality. Good, or even great pitching by Castillo, Gray, and even 3-5 most of the year.

They were either sabotaged by an offense that went to sleep after posting a couple early in the game and a pen that severely degraded after mid May, primarily the closer.

I have no data to support it, but outside of the last Dbacks game, how May comeback/walkoffs have the Reds had at all this year? It just seems like it has been few and far between even in years with worse records than this...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Not in the W/L columns...
    It's a winner in the run differential race.
    Go Gators!

They should give the three division winners a place in the playoffs. And then the two wildcard teams are the two remaining teams with the best run differential.

15. Likes:

HokieRed (09-13-2019),malcontent (09-13-2019),Slyder (09-12-2019)

I posted this in the game thread, but I think this is the main cause of the one run losses. .

5.38 team ERA in the 8th inning.
    5.29 team ERA in extra innings.
    11 losses for the closer.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I think Bell is in over his head, as well as Williams. Blatant nepotism has a way of surfacing and hindering progress. Look no further than next door to the Bengals and the Brown family for proof. I had high hopes for a major improvement after the trade with the Dodgers, acknowledging that at least they were trying to get better. Micro managing, useless double switches, overusing the bullpen early, one-run losses, have led this bunch on a scramble to stay out of last place by season's end.

This could either be (1) luck or (2) Bell.

Pick one.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

19. Likes:

malcontent (09-13-2019)

Too easy to blame Bell. Among the many things our ridiculous FO failed to see was the very predictable reversion of Hughes and Hernandez. And then somebody thought Zach Duke was going to be a big help. Was that Bell?

21. Likes:

757690 (09-15-2019),Number_Fourteen (09-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I think Bell is in over his head, as well as Williams. Blatant nepotism has a way of surfacing and hindering progress. Look no further than next door to the Bengals and the Brown family for proof. I had high hopes for a major improvement after the trade with the Dodgers, acknowledging that at least they were trying to get better. Micro managing, useless double switches, overusing the bullpen early, one-run losses, have led this bunch on a scramble to stay out of last place by season's end.
    More than that, nepotism chases away the truly talented for greener merit-based pastures.

The only way they attract talent is by overpaying. And even then, talent still gets frustrated by the combination of yes men on autopilot and folks with no business being in the role they are in, other than they happen to be in the Friends and Family Club.

Yep. Nepotism is poison. Unless you have a monopoly.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

23. Likes:

Phoenix2 (09-13-2019)

Turn Off Ads?