Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: famous reds homeruns (not the obvious)

Re: famous reds homeruns (not the obvious)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Dave Concepcion hit a HR for what we thought at the time was to be the one millionth run scored in MLB History. The place erupted when he hit it because they had a countdown on the scoreboard. After a celebration, the scoreboard flashed that Bob Watson had scored a run in Houston while Concepcion was rounding third. Concepcion ran as fast as he could around the bases, but he couldn't beat Watson home so he scored run number 1,000,001.
    Just asking. But in that day and age (somewhere between the Pony Express and the Internet) you are telling me Davey went to the plate (and rounded the bases) with the info that the next run to score would be number 1,000,000?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Votto at his best, 2012 Mother's Day:

Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

4. Likes:

goreds2 (09-14-2019),Old school 1983 (09-12-2019),Ron Madden (09-12-2019),Spider Tre (09-13-2019),The Operator (09-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Just asking. But in that day and age (somewhere between the Pony Express and the Internet) you are telling me Davey went to the plate (and rounded the bases) with the info that the next run to score would be number 1,000,000?
    Yes. I don't know what technology they used, but yes. I remember it.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Even though I totally understand what you're getting at, you'd think that Yogi Berra wrote the headline to this thread. How can you simultaneously be famous and non-obvious?
    Mack Jenkins's Pants

Yes. They had a countdown on the scoreboard. The whole stadium knew. It was the 1970s not the 1870s (though I feel that old these days).
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    The Hal King HR is my all time favorite. It came against the Dodgers on JULY 1 in the first game of a DH. After losing to the Dodgers the day before, the Reds were in fourth place, 11 games behind the Dodgers. Don Sutton had them by the throat, leading 3-1 with two out in the ninth. I had given up on the season, and that was before I had RZ to tell me the sky was falling. Hal King stroked a pinch hit 3-R HR to walk it off. The Reds then walked off the next two games against them and turned the season around finishing 60-26 to win the division. That HR turned the season on a dime.
    As I have mentioned many times on RZ, I was there in the 1st row of the LF seats for that doubleheader.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    Mine too....I was there, green seats left field.
    Which row were you in? Me and my family were in the 1st row. We were the ones that got Dave Lopes HR ball earlier in that game. I still have it.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 09-12-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

goreds2 (09-14-2019)

The United States went to the moon using 1960's technology.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

11. Likes:

gagliano (09-12-2019),mth123 (09-13-2019),RedsBaron (09-13-2019),Ron Madden (09-12-2019)

I thought juan francisco would be great

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Even though I totally understand what you're getting at, you'd think that Yogi Berra wrote the headline to this thread. How can you simultaneously be famous and non-obvious?
    Well, there's obviously famous like Babe Ruth's called shot or Mazeroski's HR or Fisk's HR or, if we're sticking with the Reds, Perez's World Series HR and Eric Davis's HR. But there are some that fans know and love even if they aren't as famous as the former HRs. Hal King's HR is a great example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-12-2019)

Pokey Reese's walkoff in September 1999 against the Cardinals comes to mind as a good one. It's too bad what happened in Milwaukee the next weekend.

16. Likes:

Chip R (09-12-2019),goreds2 (09-14-2019),Old school 1983 (09-12-2019),Ron Madden (09-12-2019)

Adam Dunn's walk off grand slam with 2 outs, bottom of the ninth, down by 3 against the Indians.

1936 Sammy Byrd hit a walk off grand slam while down 3-0.
    Last edited by Little Earl; 09-12-2019 at 11:05 AM.

18. Likes:

Chip R (09-12-2019),goreds2 (09-14-2019),Old school 1983 (09-12-2019),Ron Madden (09-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Votto at his best, 2012 Mother's Day:

Still get emotional with that one. Last game I watched with my grandmother before she passed away.

20. Likes:

goreds2 (09-14-2019),Ron Madden (09-12-2019)

Micah Owings game-tying pinch hit HR with 2 outs in the 9th off the Cards Ryan Franklin. The only time (pre-Lorenzen) I can remember seeing a pitcher brought in to pinch hit in a crucial situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    Hal KIng - 1973
    Joe Randa - opening day
    Art Shamsky 4 in a row vs Pittsburgh
    hal king, yeh. i was listening to that game, dejected. then the miracle of 7/1/73

23. Likes:

goreds2 (09-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pat Duncan, first HR over the fence for any NL player at Redland(Crosley) 1921
    i caught that one in my shaving cup

Turn Off Ads?