Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: famous reds homeruns (not the obvious)

Re: famous reds homeruns (not the obvious)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Just asking. But in that day and age (somewhere between the Pony Express and the Internet) you are telling me Davey went to the plate (and rounded the bases) with the info that the next run to score would be number 1,000,000?
    Each stadium had a countdown clock

On the evening of May 3rd the San Francisco – Astros game at Candlestick was canceled, since the next day was a Sunday afternoon game so the makeup game was scheduled for earlier in the day. Giving the teams an opportunity to get a jump on the rest of baseball in the days action.

As the game progressed the countdown clock on the wall at Candlestick clicked closer to the magic number, during his first at bat Watson drew a base on balls, and was forced to second as Jose Cruz drew another. With the count 0-2 to Milt May the countdown clock clicked to 999,999 and May smashed pitch into the stands, Watson watched the ball sail over the fence and began trotting towards home. Meanwhile in Cincinnati, Reds shortstop Davey Concepcion also hit a home run and was rounding the bases. At the same moment John Lownestein of the Orioles was on third pondering trying to steal home to score the 1,000,000 run himself.

“I thought about trying to steal home, but we were behind by so much (8-1) that I figured that if I didn’t make it I might as well just keep on running, so I didn’t even try to get in.”

Meanwhile the Astros bullpen had Watson’s back, they knew that he had to run faster and they started to yell at him, imploring him to pick it up.

“I take off in a dead sprint and score the run,” Watson said. “If I don’t take off and listen to my guys in the bullpen, Concepcion scores the millionth run. I beat him by a second and a half.”

Officials from the Hall of Fame stopped the game, dug up home plate, asked for May’s bat and Watson’s shoes and even managed to retrieve the ball from the stands.

“I was upset,” Watson said. “I wasn’t going to let them take my shoes because in those days it took you a long time to break your shoes in. They weren’t like the shoes you have today where you can wear them right out of the box. This was May 4, I had just gotten my shoes broken in, and then they took them.”

The event was the highlight of the Astros year, other then breaking out the famous rainbow uniforms. For his effort Watson received a special $1,000 watch from Seiko, all his teammates received a lesser version and the Tootsie Roll Company paid off the $10,000 to the Astros in the form of 1,000,000 pennies (gee thanks guys!!) they also passed on 1,000,000 tootsie rolls to Bob Watson himself. He also received a million dollar grant to financially troubled minor league players in his name.

Watson’s children are allergic to chocolate so he donated that and the pennies to the Girl Scouts of America.

2. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-16-2019),cumberlandreds (09-12-2019),goreds2 (09-14-2019),mth123 (09-12-2019),Ron Madden (09-12-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Dave Concepcion hit a HR for what we thought at the time was to be the one millionth run scored in MLB History. The place erupted when he hit it because they had a countdown on the scoreboard. After a celebration, the scoreboard flashed that Bob Watson had scored a run in Houston while Concepcion was rounding third. Concepcion ran as fast as he could around the bases, but he couldn't beat Watson home so he scored run number 1,000,001.
    I actually won a prize at a minor league baseball game for answering this question correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

goreds2 (09-14-2019),mth123 (09-12-2019),Ron Madden (09-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    I thought juan francisco would be great
    He was and is.
    Go Gators!

7. Likes:

goreds2 (09-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Each stadium had a countdown clock

On the evening of May 3rd the San Francisco – Astros game at Candlestick was canceled, since the next day was a Sunday afternoon game so the makeup game was scheduled for earlier in the day. Giving the teams an opportunity to get a jump on the rest of baseball in the days action.

As the game progressed the countdown clock on the wall at Candlestick clicked closer to the magic number, during his first at bat Watson drew a base on balls, and was forced to second as Jose Cruz drew another. With the count 0-2 to Milt May the countdown clock clicked to 999,999 and May smashed pitch into the stands, Watson watched the ball sail over the fence and began trotting towards home. Meanwhile in Cincinnati, Reds shortstop Davey Concepcion also hit a home run and was rounding the bases. At the same moment John Lownestein of the Orioles was on third pondering trying to steal home to score the 1,000,000 run himself.

“I thought about trying to steal home, but we were behind by so much (8-1) that I figured that if I didn’t make it I might as well just keep on running, so I didn’t even try to get in.”

Meanwhile the Astros bullpen had Watson’s back, they knew that he had to run faster and they started to yell at him, imploring him to pick it up.

“I take off in a dead sprint and score the run,” Watson said. “If I don’t take off and listen to my guys in the bullpen, Concepcion scores the millionth run. I beat him by a second and a half.”

Officials from the Hall of Fame stopped the game, dug up home plate, asked for May’s bat and Watson’s shoes and even managed to retrieve the ball from the stands.

“I was upset,” Watson said. “I wasn’t going to let them take my shoes because in those days it took you a long time to break your shoes in. They weren’t like the shoes you have today where you can wear them right out of the box. This was May 4, I had just gotten my shoes broken in, and then they took them.”

The event was the highlight of the Astros year, other then breaking out the famous rainbow uniforms. For his effort Watson received a special $1,000 watch from Seiko, all his teammates received a lesser version and the Tootsie Roll Company paid off the $10,000 to the Astros in the form of 1,000,000 pennies (gee thanks guys!!) they also passed on 1,000,000 tootsie rolls to Bob Watson himself. He also received a million dollar grant to financially troubled minor league players in his name.

Watson’s children are allergic to chocolate so he donated that and the pennies to the Girl Scouts of America.
    Thanks, when mentioned I vaguely remember something about Concepcion and the millionth run.

Poor Davey. First he misses the Millionth run by less than 2 seconds. Then he gets kept out of the HOF because he's overshadowed by a back-flipper. Then for any future hope of being in the HOF, he's overshadowed that his replacement on the Reds being a HOFer. Davey should've never chosen the number 13.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (09-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    As I have mentioned many times on RZ, I was there in the 1st row of the LF seats for that doubleheader.

- - - Updated - - -

Which row were you in? Me and my family were in the 1st row. We were the ones that got Dave Lopes HR ball earlier in that game. I still have it.
    Awesome! We were in the 5th or 6th row I think. I use to have all my stubs but I think mom threw them out.
    Let's play two!!!

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-13-2019),goreds2 (09-14-2019)

Nothing dramatic or important, but sitting with brother, who’s a Cardinals fan, in right field and seeing Scott Schebler conquer the final boss with a monster blast to walk it off... will always be special.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQ_5np-jEs
    Sat in almost the same seats, with my idiot brother cardinals fan, and saw Scooter launch 4 straight homers. Good memories.

13. Likes:

goreds2 (09-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    Awesome! We were in the 5th or 6th row I think. I use to have all my stubs but I think mom threw them out.
    I have a pictures of all my stubs in the RZ picture section. But I don't have the one from that day. I guess it was thrown out sometime over the years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

mel queen once homered off bob gibson

1st pinch hit grand slam in MLB Post season History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuzCnIJ7m2Q
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

I was at a game in Riverfront when Jeff Reed hit a grand slam. The team they played walked the guy in front of Reed. I called it, saying it was a big mistake.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

Off the top of my head, without doing any research, I can add the following: Leo Cardenas hitting hour home runs during a doubleheader in 1966; Tony Perez wins the 1967 All Star game with a HR; Johnny Bench hits one HR in the 1969 all star game and is robbed of a second HR on a great catch by Yaz; Perez and Bench homer to help win game 3 of the 1970 NLCS and win the pennant; Lee May hits a HR to win game 4 of the 1970 World Series; Johnny Bench ties game five of the 1972 NLCS with a ninth inning HR; Pete Rose and Bench hit HRs off Tom Seaver to win game one of the 1973 NLCS; Rose wins game 4 of the NLCS with an extra inning HR; Perez homers twice in game five of the 1975 World Series, a prelude to his Most Important Home Run In Reds History in game seven; Bench and Foster both homer to tie game three of the 1976 NLCS; Joe Morgan hits an early HR in game one of the 1976 World Series; Bench hits two HRs in game four of the World Series as the Reds sweep The Evil Empire; Rose has a three HR game against the Expos in 1977; Johnny Bench homers on Johnny Bench Night in 1983......
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Off the top of my head, without doing any research, I can add the following: Leo Cardenas hitting hour home runs during a doubleheader in 1966; Tony Perez wins the 1967 All Star game with a HR; Johnny Bench hits one HR in the 1969 all star game and is robbed of a second HR on a great catch by Yaz; Perez and Bench homer to help win game 3 of the 1970 NLCS and win the pennant; Lee May hits a HR to win game 4 of the 1970 World Series; Johnny Bench ties game five of the 1972 NLCS with a ninth inning HR; Pete Rose and Bench hit HRs off Tom Seaver to win game one of the 1973 NLCS; Rose wins game 4 of the NLCS with an extra inning HR; Perez homers twice in game five of the 1975 World Series, a prelude to his Most Important Home Run In Reds History in game seven; Bench and Foster both homer to tie game three of the 1976 NLCS; Joe Morgan hits an early HR in game one of the 1976 World Series; Bench hits two HRs in game four of the World Series as the Reds sweep The Evil Empire; Rose has a three HR game against the Expos in 1977; Johnny Bench homers on Johnny Bench Night in 1983......
    Rose's 3 home run game came against the Mets on 4/29/1978

Last edited by corkedbat; 09-14-2019 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Rose's 3 home run game came against the Mets on 4/29/1978
    Thanks. You are correct. I made a typo when I stated the 3 HR game was in 1977 instead of 1978, and my memory further confused Rose's 3 HR game, which came against the Mets, and the game in which he collected career hit no. 3000, which came a few days later against the Expos. In my mind I pictured Rose getting a hug from then Expos first baseman Tony Perez during the 3 HR game, but that reunion took place when he got his 3000th hit.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?