Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: My Dream Offseason!!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: My Dream Offseason!!

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I like the idea of the Reds being a salary dump conduit for Pedroia. I'd love it if it netted Betts, but I suspect the Reds are going to end up with JBJ instead. Even more suspect that if the Sox send $$ to cover Pedroia's contract. I don't think the Reds would have to give up too much -- maybe like Blandino and Heatherly, something like that.

CIN get:
    2b Pedroia
    OF JBJ
    $$$ to cover Pedroia's contract

BOS gets:
    IF Alex Blandino
    LH Jacob Heatherly

That leaves a lineup of:

1b Votto
    2b Senzel
    SS Galvis
    3b Suarez
    LF Winker
    CF JBJ
    RF Aquino
    CA Barnhart

When combined with a rotation of Castillo, Gray, Bauer, and Disco, that's a wild-card team if everything falls right.
    Hmmmm... add Grandal and Gregorius and that might be a playoff team.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here is a scenario for you;

1. Trevor Bauer, Tucker Barnhart and Freddy Galvis to the Yankees for Gary Sanchez
    2. Jose Peraza, Jimmy Herget and Lucas Sims to the Orioles for Mychal Givens
    3. Non-Tender Kevin Gausman
    4. Sign Didi Gregorius 3 years, $42 Million
    5. Sign Will Smith, 3 years, $36 Million
    6. Sign Jake Odorrizi 3 years, $48 Million
    7. Sign Gio Gonzlez $1 Year $7 Million with option for 2nd year at $9 Million or a $500K buyout
    8. Sign Scooter Gennett 1 year $4 Million with incentives that can get him to $11 Million. Option for 2021 at $12 Million with $1 Million buy-out

That would leave:

Winker LF (L)
    Votto 1B (L)
    Suarez 3B
    Sanchez C
    Gregorius SS
    Gennett 2B (L)
    Aquino RF
    Pitcher
    Senzel CF

Castillo
    Gray
    Odorrizi
    Desclafani
    Gonzalez (L)
    Mahle

Iglesias
    Smith (L)
    Lorenzen
    Garrett (L)
    Givens
    Stephenson
    Reed (L)

Ervin
    Casali
    Farmer
    VanMeter (L)
    Blandino

Add a couple million for the rest of the 40 man roster/injury fill-ins and total payroll would be about $136 Million.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I don't see Bauer being traded after the Reds hired Bauer's pitching guru, Kyle Boddy.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I don't see Bauer being traded after the Reds hired Bauer's pitching guru, Kyle Boddy.
    I don't either, but if they are going to be able to fill all the holes without bumping the payroll to about $175 Million, they need to move some money. Bauer, Barnhart, Galvis, Peraza and Gausman are the Reds who provide the least bang for the bucks involved (other than Votto).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't either, but if they are going to be able to fill all the holes without bumping the payroll to about $175 Million, they need to move some money. Bauer, Barnhart, Galvis, Peraza and Gausman are the Reds who provide the least bang for the bucks involved (other than Votto).
    I think Bauer will provide more bang for the buck this year. Galvis gives the Reds options going into the offseason. That’s where his value is. If the Reds can fill the holes and there’s no need for him, I could see a trade. If not, he’s at least a solid bench piece or borderline starter that could hold a spot down until the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I think Bauer will provide more bang for the buck this year. Galvis gives the Reds options going into the offseason. That’s where his value is. If the Reds can fill the holes and there’s no need for him, I could see a trade. If not, he’s at least a solid bench piece or borderline starter that could hold a spot down until the deadline.
    We can debate about Bauer. I guess the Reds could keep him and pass on Odorizzi and Gonzlaez (though I think Odorizzi is a better pitcher), roll the dice with Mahle and use that money to sign Grandal instead of acquiring Sanchez.

My problem with Galvis is that I don't think he's good enough to win with, and, while I think he's a fine bench piece, the FA market has at least four SS and seven or eight 2B options who are probably as good or better and I'd bet several will be available in February for a lot less than $5.5 Million. The Reds need a lot and need to watch every dollar. Paying that much for what will turn out to be an interchangeable spare part if he's used correctly or a weakness who plays every day (because they don't have the money for better) doesn't make any sense to me at the beginning of the winter when they have so much shopping to do. Its like they spent the grocery money on a bobble head for the man cave before the fridge was stocked.

Why is Scooter Gennett a priority for everyone? At best he should get a minor league deal at this point.

10. Likes:

TRF (11-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    Why is Scooter Gennett a priority for everyone? At best he should get a minor league deal at this point.
    Because he should be cheap and wants to be here which makes it more likely that they can actually get him. Last season was injury and no spring training related more than a skill decline (like we are seeing at 1B). If he gets to even 75% of what he was in 2018, he'd be a better offensive player than any Red on the current roster except for Suarez and Winker.

I'd rather have Moustakas, but there aren't similar guys with cheap upside available at catcher, SS or late inning relief, so 2B is the place where they can get it for cheap while spending the budget on the other places sorely in need of upgrade. I'm proposing less than the Reds just gave Freddy Galvis, but if he could be had for a minor league deal, I'm all in.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Here is a scenario for you;

1. Trevor Bauer, Tucker Barnhart and Freddy Galvis to the Yankees for Gary Sanchez
    2. Jose Peraza, Jimmy Herget and Lucas Sims to the Orioles for Mychal Givens
    3. Non-Tender Kevin Gausman
    4. Sign Didi Gregorius 3 years, $42 Million
    5. Sign Will Smith, 3 years, $36 Million
    6. Sign Jake Odorrizi 3 years, $48 Million
    7. Sign Gio Gonzlez $1 Year $7 Million with option for 2nd year at $9 Million or a $500K buyout
    8. Sign Scooter Gennett 1 year $4 Million with incentives that can get him to $11 Million. Option for 2021 at $12 Million with $1 Million buy-out

That would leave:

Winker LF (L)
    Votto 1B (L)
    Suarez 3B
    Sanchez C
    Gregorius SS
    Gennett 2B (L)
    Aquino RF
    Pitcher
    Senzel CF

Castillo
    Gray
    Odorrizi
    Desclafani
    Gonzalez (L)
    Mahle

Iglesias
    Smith (L)
    Lorenzen
    Garrett (L)
    Givens
    Stephenson
    Reed (L)

Ervin
    Casali
    Farmer
    VanMeter (L)
    Blandino

Add a couple million for the rest of the 40 man roster/injury fill-ins and total payroll would be about $136 Million.
    I am in agreement with you that probably the most effective way to make a playoff roster is trade Bauer and sign pitching if the Reds could actually get one of the upper tier guys.

One of my many thoughts on this...
    Sign Bumgarner/Odorizzi 18M AAV
    Sign Miley 2/16M
    Sign Grandal 4/68
    Trade Bauer and Barnhart to LAA for SS Fletcher, RHRP Buttrey, CF prospect Marsh and Cozart (Reds pay 7.7M of Cozart's salary)+5M
    Flip Marsh (He is a good CF prospect) and two lower prospects with upside for Marte
    Trade Galvis and Romano and Alf Rod to Baltimore for Villar
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Reds sign the following players:

Grandal 4/68M
    Gregorius 4/56M
    Pineda 2/20M
    Re-sign Gausman 1/8M
    Reds extend Castillo 5/50M 1/12/12/12/13

3 way trade
    SD receives OF Eddie Rosario
    Minn receives Raisel Iglesias
    Cin receives LHSP Eric Lauer

Reds trade Rece Hinds to LAD for Util Chris Taylor

Reds trade Tucker Barnhart to LAA for RHRP Ty Buttrey

Reds trade Freddy Galvis, Sal Romano, and Alfredo Rodriguez to Balt for 2b Jonathan Villar
    Reds extend Villar 2/16M

Lineup vs RHP:
    Villar
    Votto
    Suarez
    Grandal
    Winker
    Gregorius
    Aquino
    Senzel

Lineup vs LHP
    Villar