Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dream Offseason!!

Re: My Dream Offseason!!

Spend the offseason trying to find out how to fix Votto and if not, how to move him somehow.
    I like the idea of adding Corey Dickerson.
    Should have moved Winker when he had better value.
    Should have moved Senzel when he had better value.
    I'm good with a starting OF of Dickerson, Ervin and Aquino.
    Procure an actual starting LHP that can slot in the 3 or 4 spot.
    Send Peraza to winter ball to play CF so he can back up the middle three positions.
    Resign Kyle Farmer.
    Sign Galvis to play 2nd.
    Sign Iglesias to play SS.
    Trade Senzel and any of the peripheral pitchers.
    Procure a decent LHRP.
    Hope Winker comes back healthy.
    Figure out some way to get the team batting average back up to previous levels - up 10 points.
    Offer playoff tickets.
    Last edited by Frank Robinson; 09-21-2019 at 09:00 PM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Robinson View Post
    Should have moved Winker when he had better value.
    I don't know that Winker ever had much value. He's 25 -- his best season is probably ahead of him.

Having said that, he does have "old player skills" and there should be no reluctance to move him after a breakout.

Reds need a difference maker at the top, so here's my plan:

- Reds trade Trevor Bauer to Nats for Adam Eaton
    - Sign Tanner Roark
    - Re-sign Alex Wood to deal with incentives (assuming he wants to come back)
    - Sign Grandal for C
    - Re-sign Iglesias for SS
    - Pick up option on Gausman

Not sure if the Nats do that trade, but if Strasburg opts out of his contract, Bauer would be a good replacement and would slot in as a #3 behind Scherzer and Corbin. I think Roark could be signed to a 2/25 million deal and is a great innings eater in the #4 spot. I still think Wood, as long as he is healthy, could be what they really need: A dependable left handed starter. His health is the big question mark, and if he fails or Mahle performs better, Mahle can slot in as the #5. Eaton is exactly what this team needs at the top of the lineup, solid OBP with decent pop. He still has 2 years left on his deal. Grandal is another high OBP option that would fit in nicely behind Suarez.

Lineup:
    Eaton CF
    Votto 1B
    Suarez 3B
    Grandal C
    Aquino RF
    Winker LF
    Senzel 2B
    Iglesias SS

Rotation:
    1. Castillo
    2. Gray
    3. Disco
    4. Roark
    5. Wood

Bullpen:
    Mahle
    Reed
    Stephenson
    Sims
    Gausman
    Garrett
    Lorenzen
    Iglesias

Bench:
    Ervin
    VanMeter
    Barnhart
    Galvis
    Farmer

I'd say written in ink next year for the rotation is Gray, Castillo and Desclafani. Bauer is not. He could, and maybe even SHOULD be dealt. But the Reds don't really have a SP in the pipeline to replace him. I expect them to sign a FA or possibly trade for a SP. I 'm more than tired of watching Mahle be terrible.

So that is three SP's with 30+ starts each all with sub 3.85 ERA's, 9+ and 2 with 10+ K/9 and WHIP's under 1.20.

I'll take that.

As for the bullpen... It has a solid base in 4 pitchers: Lorenzen, Garrett, Stephenson (yes, that Stephenson) and Iglesias. But it lacks a hammer. There's not one in AAA or AA waiting to burst on to the scene either. So, unless the Reds deal for one, sign one, or find one, that's a problem. Packy Naughton has had some success this year, is 23 and might profile better in the pen based on what I have read. Santillan, Antone, and Gutierrez all might provide the "thing" the Reds need in the bullpen. Personally, I'd give SD a call about Munoz. Dude throws really hard.

But this is just dancing around the real problem. The offense. As in the 7 guys playing around the only offense the team has: Suarez.

Votto is not going anywhere, so lets just not, ok? That leaves the OF, 2B, SS and C.

Starting with C. The Reds had the 18th best OPS from the position. 20th in HR's. So, yeah, it's bad. They were rumored for Realmuto, and the Phillies had the 5th best OPS at C, and their trade partner Miami had the 8th best. Really starting to look like Miami did not get fleeced in that deal. Grandal led the Brewers behind the plate and helped Milwaukee to the third best OPS at the position. I think Milwaukee will re-sign him at season's end. Maybe Stephenson will be ready next year. He had a nice 2019 at AA, gets on base, and maybe the power emerges at some point. My prediction is the Reds may part ways with Barnhart by the end of the 2020 season, and that the job becomes Stephenson's for good by opening day 2021.

2B. This is a mess made more so by Senzel's injury. He seems almost destined for the position now. A shorter throw will ease the risk of re-injuring his shoulder. But the Reds shouldn't take chances with his future IF they believe it to be what has been hyped. He's missed a lot of baseball as a professional. Some will slam this remark, but If the Reds can trade him for even equal value, maybe they should.

SS seems like it has three guys in contention: Iglesias, Galvis and the impending FA and former Reds farmhand, Didi. Can't count on the latter, and frankly, I doubt the Reds sign him. That leaves Iglesias, Galvis, maybe Blandino? It's not an overly appealing bunch offensively, but I guess it'll likely be Galvis. He's fine defensively, and has some pop. Needs to get on base more though.

Jesse Winker's health is an uncertainty. The team has no CF. Aquino in Sept has not been the Aquino of April-Aug. Now this is the most he's ever played in a single season. And MLB pitchers have a good book on him now. He's also made some adjustments over the last week or so. The first 15 days of this month, .461 OPS. since? .770

He's going to be the starting... something next year, and I have a weird feeling it'll be CF.

That leaves RF. Or CF. Maybe LF. The Reds have to get someone. Ozuna, Dickerson, trade for someone. Eventually the Dodgers are going to have another roster crunch, and Edwin Rios has no position. Especially once Lux arrives and takes over 2B. Trade for Rios and put him in LF. Aquino makes 2. If Winker is healthy, he's the LF. Just not sure that is the best thing for this offense.

In RF, The Reds had the 2nd most HR's, and the 5th best OPS. Maybe the Reds leave Aquino there, where he's comfortable and build on what has been a breakout year. 533 PA's, the most in his career. 46 HR's and counting (3 days and the Pirates? I say he gets another bomb) A .954 OPS combined AAA/MLB. I'd say he's earned a starting spot for 2020.

This is what the Reds posted at CF this year: .221 .304 .368 .672. Look familiar? That's Billy Hamilton with pop minus the defensive prowess and stolen bases.

The Reds were in the bottom offensively at 2B, SS, LF, CF, C, and yes, 1B. My heart believes Votto will just be a good hitter again next year. My head knows that isn't likely. So, what should the Reds do? The current 25 man roster is bereft of offensive talent.

I mentioned some targets. Ozuna, Dickerson (health) and Rios. I'll mention two more: 1, India. I'd give him every opportunity to win a job in ST this year. Jose Israel Garcia. It's a BIG jump from the FSL to the major leagues, but he's a guy I can get excited about. Here is another thing to consider. If Garcia can handle SS, and India sticks at 2B, the Reds have them for the next 6 years at the MLB level. It would be a super aggressive approach, and more than likely, they don't have the stones.

More than likely, India/Garcia are playing up the middle for Chattanooga next year.

The help for 2020 is not in the organization. The problem as I see it, Will the Reds cut bait on player like they did last year? Can the find a trade partner or FA that truly fills the holes in this offense?

I'm optimistic.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

The first thing they have to do is figure out what to do with the guys that are utility guys or if they will start. Guys like winker, Irvin, and VanMeter. Of the 3 winker would get you the most value. That said, Iíd like to see them trade a couple of them to make some room. You definitely need a bat whether it be in left field, or someone in the infield. I want them to get out and get a starting southpaw for the rotation. As for malhe, unless he shows signs of improving, maybe give him a chance to start. I think he would be very good as a long reliever

8. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2019)

The Reds need a lot, so they need to take a measured gamble or two. One I'd try is Ben Zobrist. He's missed a lot of time and has an OPS near .620 or so. He'll be cheap and short term while India cooks for another year. Even with his lousy OPS, he gets on base at a .357 clip. Put him at the top of the order in front of the other geezer and let them get on in front of Suarez and whatever other power they may add (Grandal, I hope).
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

My Dream Offseason!!

Trade for Mookie, pay him big. If Bob was really going to open it up for Pujols he should do so for Betts. Sure it would cost rather than waiting a year for his FA but A) waiting a year right now is not a smart move and B) Competing with other teams for his services isnít likely to work out in the Reds favor. Obviously Boston would like to keep him but there is a growing likelihood that they are going to part with either him or JD, maybe both and getting some return for him beats nothing. If the Reds are serious about contending this is the move to make.

As far as a deal that would work I would say only Lodolo and Greene should be out of the discussion (always protect the future of your rotation). Maybe India, Winker, and Mahle is enough? Maybe Tony instead of Tyler.

Betts would make this lineup fierce.

CF - Betts
    1B - Votto
    3B - Suarez
    RF - Aquino
    2B - Senzel
    LF - Vanmeter
    C - Barnhart
    SS - Freddy/Jose (If Freddy then would probably hit 5th)
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 09-28-2019 at 10:03 AM.

11. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (09-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Trade for Mookie, pay him big. If Bob was really going to open it up for Pujols he should do so for Betts. Sure it would cost rather than waiting a year for his FA but A) waiting a year right now is not a smart move and B) Competing with other teams for his services isn’t likely to work out in the Reds favor. Obviously Boston would like to keep him but there is a growing likelihood that they are going to part with either him or JD, maybe both and getting some return for him beats nothing. If the Reds are serious about contending this is the move to make.

As far as a deal that would work I would say only Lodolo and Greene should be out of the discussion (always protect the future of your rotation). Maybe India, Winker, and Mahle is enough? Maybe Tony instead of Tyler.

Betts would make this lineup fierce.

CF - Betts
    1B - Votto
    3B - Suarez
    RF - Aquino
    2B - Senzel
    LF - Vanmeter
    C - Barnhart
    SS - Freddy/Jose (If Freddy then would probably hit 5th)
    Betts is probably my favorite non-red, but by himself he doesn't make the line-up fierce. The Reds need three new guys in the line-up (Catcher, SS and either CF or 2B with Senzel in the other spot), three relievers who are reliable and a 5th starter to boot. Not sure they have the cash for all that.

13. Likes:

DocRed (10-04-2019),REDREAD (10-04-2019)

If we're dreaming, find a way to end up with Betts in CF & then go from there. Boston is cutting payroll. We might be able to only give up prospects and not major league ready talent.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2019)

Exactly Boston is trying to shed payroll, what say another offseason trade:

CF-Jackie Bradley JR. -we are assuming 8.5 million here.

Reds then sign in FA:

1) Brock Holt-2b he platoons with Senzel here

2) Yasmani Grandal- C our big splash

3) Galvis option is picked up

4) Corey Dickerson-OF- insurance at the corners

5) Steve Cishek-RHRP

6) Chris Martin-RHRP

Lineup:

1) Holt/Senzel
    2) Votto
    3) Suarez
    4) Grandal
    5) Dickerson/Aquino
    6) Winker/Dickerson
    7) Bradley JR
    8) Galvis
    Last edited by schroomytunes; 09-29-2019 at 01:59 AM.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2019)

Non-tender Galvis, Peraza, Gausman, et al.

Trade Raisel Iglesias, Curt Casali, Josh VanMeter, and Luis Castillo to San Diego for Luis Urias, Francisco Mejia, Pedro Avila, and a three lower level prospects. If you can get Mackenzie Gore instead of the prospects (because Castillo is cheap and controllable for a long time), do that.

Trade for Mookie Betts and Jackie Bradley, Jr., Offer Tyler Stephenson, Tucker Barnhart, Jonathan India, Aristides Aquino.

Reds' lineup becomes league average-ish with upside:

Senzel 2B
    Winker/ Ervin LF
    Betts RF
    Suarez 3B
    Votto 1B
    Grandal/ Mejia C
    Urias SS
    Bradley, Jr. CF

They'd need to do some serious work on the bullpen, but that's relatively easy lifting. They'd have about $10M to get it done. That makes it much harder.

19. Likes:

mth123 (09-29-2019),REDREAD (10-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Non-tender Galvis, Peraza, Gausman, et al.

Trade Raisel Iglesias, Curt Casali, Josh VanMeter, and Luis Castillo to San Diego for Luis Urias, Francisco Mejia, Pedro Avila, and a three lower level prospects. If you can get Mackenzie Gore instead of the prospects (because Castillo is cheap and controllable for a long time), do that.

Trade for Mookie Betts and Jackie Bradley, Jr., Offer Tyler Stephenson, Tucker Barnhart, Jonathan India, Aristides Aquino.

Reds' lineup becomes league average-ish with upside:

Senzel 2B
    Winker/ Ervin LF
    Betts RF
    Suarez 3B
    Votto 1B
    Grandal/ Mejia C
    Urias SS
    Bradley, Jr. CF

They'd need to do some serious work on the bullpen, but that's relatively easy lifting. They'd have about $10M to get it done. That makes it much harder.
    I think a deal with San Diego might be a solid move as well. My shot at it would be Trevor Bauer, Jose Siri and Tony Santillan for Urias, Francisco Mejia, Matt Strahm and Franchy Cordero.Use Bauer's money and the payflex on Will Smith, Craig Stanmen and Tanner Roark. It doesn't fix the offense for certain, but it really adds a ton of potential. Deal Barnhart and Sims for a prospect or two. Go ahead and keep Galvis, but $5.5 Million is probably too much. Let Jose Iglesias, Jose Peraza and Derek Dietrich hit the market.

Senzel 2B
    Votto 1B
    Suarez 3B
    Mejia C
    Winker/Ervin LF
    Aquino RF
    Urias/Galvis SS
    Pitcher
    Cordero CF

VanMeter, Casali and one of Farmer or Blandino would round out the bench.

Castillo
    Gray
    Desclafani
    Roark
    Mahle

Iglesias
    Smith
    Lorenzen
    Garrett
    Stanmen
    Stephenson
    Strahm
    Best of the rest.

What if the Reds did this after Dick Williams comments yesterday:

FA Upgrades: offense

1) Brett GArdner-CF
    2) Yasmani Grandal-C

FA Upgrades: pitching

1) Francisco Liriano-LHRP
    2) Steve Cishek-RHRP
    3) Kevin GAusman-RHRP/6th starter

22. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2019)

If we’re talking Mookie Betts, I wonder if India+Winker+Santillan or another better 3rd piece would be enough to get it done. It’s hard for me to gauge the value of 1 year rentals anymore.

Then sign Corey Dickerson to replace Winker, and sign Grandal for catcher. Then your lineup is:

2B Senzel
    1B Votto
    CF Betts
    3B Suarez
    C Grandal
    RF Aquino
    LF Dickerson/Ervin
    SS Galvis or Iglesias

That’s a World Series lineup I think. Still need to address the bullpen and maybe a backup OF if Aquino busts, but it looks great on paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2019)

Castellini sells his interests to George Soros, as do all of the Lindners who have any interest in the organization. Soros gets rid of all the relatives and ne'er do wells. Soros hires a good baseball man and gives them complete control and a decent budget.

26. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-04-2019),REDREAD (10-16-2019)

Turn Off Ads?