Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dream Offseason!!

Re: My Dream Offseason!!

If the Reds deal with SD, then best go after Munoz.

That's an impact arm for the bullpen.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

For Betts, I've read the Red Sox have said they want someone to replace him in the lineup, a team-controlled mid-rotation starter, and two top prospects. I don't see the Reds being able to fill that wish list, but maybe nobody else can, either.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    For Betts, I've read the Red Sox have said they want someone to replace him in the lineup, a team-controlled mid-rotation starter, and two top prospects. I don't see the Reds being able to fill that wish list, but maybe nobody else can, either.
    Absolutely nobody is going to pay that for one year of Betts, they can want that all they want, it’s not gonna happen.

5. Likes:

DocRed (10-07-2019),Griffey012 (10-06-2019)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    That's a lot to give up for 1 year of Betts, as good as he is. He'll want a $300M contract to resign and may well get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Absolutely nobody is going to pay that for one year of Betts, they can want that all they want, it’s not gonna happen.
    and it is not like he is dirt cheap even for the 1 year..... can see them getting 4th Starter level guy, a Top level prospect, and a lower prospect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    That's a lot to give up for 1 year of Betts, as good as he is. He'll want a $300M contract to resign and may well get it.
    you may be right....but I would not want to be on the hook for $300 Million for him either assuming it is a 9-10 year contract.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    and it is not like he is dirt cheap even for the 1 year..... can see them getting 4th Starter level guy, a Top level prospect, and a lower prospect.

- - - Updated - - -

you may be right....but I would not want to be on the hook for $300 Million for him either assuming it is a 9-10 year contract.
    If they want pitching, I’d give them one of Mahle or Disco, then Winker and India. That would be more realistic for what they’re targeting I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Castellini sells his interests to George Soros, as do all of the Lindners who have any interest in the organization. Soros gets rid of all the relatives and ne'er do wells. Soros hires a good baseball man and gives them complete control and a decent budget.
    That's very likely that a guy like Soros would be drawn to a team full of Reds.

Seriously though. Remember when the Reds brought in a seasoned veteran like Scott Rowland and Kevin Mitchell? Guys that played the game the right way and knew what and how it took to win.

That guy in the FA group is Brett Gardner. Sign him up for 2 years with an option for a 3rd, pencil him into the lineup in Left Field and bat him between Geno and the Punisher and watch what he does to the clubhouse. Our younger talented guys need a vet that will crack the whip and Joey, God love him, is too focused on himself to be that kind of a leader and he's been part of the culture of losing for over half a decade. The young guys don't know what they don't know and they need to be exposed to a winning culture.

To help the infield sign Wilmer Flores and slot him at the top of the order and plug him in at 2nd base. Sign Iglesias or Galvis for SS and go from there.

The offense would be in a better spot but then I push my chips to the middle of the table and try to sign MadBum. Failing that I would concentrate on adding Wade Miley but adding either of those to Gray, Bauer, Castillo and Disco and I like our chances every day, even with this year's offense.

Add a couple of bullpen arms like closer Steve Cishek and lefty Matt Albers to our other bullpen guys and we'd be cookin'.
    Last edited by Frank Robinson; 10-04-2019 at 07:50 PM.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Brett Gardner would be a nice piece to a larger plan, but if he's your main addition, you're not contending in the Central.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-04-2019)

Another Scenerio:

Trades:

1) Reds trade Jose Peraza, and Jesse Winker to Seattle for Omar Narvaez(C) and Sam Tuivaila(RHRP)

Free Agency:

1) Mike Moustakas-2b- gives us the RH pop in the middle of the order
    2) Corey Dickerson-LF- great power fits best in LF.
    3) Cameron Maybin-CF- #4 OF and can play CF

Bullpen:
    1) Steve Cishek-RHRP
    2) Will Smith-LHRP

Lineup

1) Senzel-CF
    2) Votto-1b
    3) Saurez-3b
    4) Moustakas-2b
    5) Aquino-Rf
    6) Dickerson-LF
    7) Narvaez-C
    8) Galvis-SS

Bullpen:
    1) Smith
    2) Iglesius
    3) Lorenzen
    4) Stephenson
    5) Cishek
    6) Garrett
    7) Tuivailia
    8) Reed/Gausman/Kuhnel etc.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Sign Grandal
    Sign Gregorius
    Sign Bumgarner
    Trade Winker+Disco+India for Betts

LF Senzel
    1b Votto
    CF Betts
    3b Suarez
    SS Gregorius
    CA Grandal
    2b Galvis
    RF Aquino

RH Castillo
    RH Gray
    RH Bauer
    LH Bumgarner
    RH Mahle

Yowza!
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Sign Grandal
    Sign Gregorius
    Sign Bumgarner

LF Senzel
    1b Votto
    CF Betts
    3b Suarez
    SS Gregorius
    CA Grandal
    2b Galvis
    RF Aquino

RH Castillo
    RH Gray
    RH Bauer
    LH Bumgarner
    RH Mahle

Yowza!
    Love the deals.

Hate that Senzel is in LF instead of 2B.

I'd prefer O'Grady and Ervin to Galvis.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Sign Grandal
    Sign Gregorius
    Sign Bumgarner

LF Senzel
    1b Votto
    CF Betts
    3b Suarez
    SS Gregorius
    CA Grandal
    2b Galvis
    RF Aquino

RH Castillo
    RH Gray
    RH Bauer
    LH Bumgarner
    RH Mahle

Yowza!
    Love it but I'm hitting Mookie first unless Nick proves he can handle it.

My Dream off-season, assuming Castellini approves a $40M jump in salary:

1. Trade Bauer, Aquino, and India to Boston for Betts. Add international monies and prospect not in top four, if need be.

2. Trade Luis Castillo and Rasiel Iglesias to San Diego for Luis Urias, Francisco Mejias, Franchy Cordero, Michel Baez, and Cal Quantril.

3. Sign Madison Bumgarner to a one-year, $25M contract.

4. Trade Tucker Barnhart to Colorado for LHRP James Pazos and LHRP prospect Ben Bowden.

5. Sign a FA relief arm for $4M or less.

Senzel 2B
    Votto 1B
    Betts RF
    Suarez 3B
    Winker LF
    Cordero CF
    Mejias C
    Urias SS

Comment: Nice balance, pop, BA, and patience throughout lineup. Some upside remains. Might well fall on its collective face, if Senzel, Mejias, Cordero, Urias, Winker struggle, but relatively cheap and controllable for five years or so.

Bench
    Ervin
    Casali
    Farmer
    Blandino

Comment: Not great. Needs another good hitter, another good patience/ OBP guy. Can't afford him. Perhaps as a minor league free agent?

Rotation
    Bumgarner
    Gray
    DeSclafani
    Quantril
    Mahle

Comment: Upside across the dial, with two aces, a near All-Star, and two upside plays. Still needs depth.

Bullpen
    Baez
    Garrett
    Lorenzen
    Stephenson
    Sims
    Bowman
    Pazos
    Reed
    FA RP

Comment: Reed, Pazos, and Garrett from the left side. Bowman and Sims provide multiple inning options. I'd have Stephenson close, due to clean inning option. Solid, not spectacular. Might sell a free agent on the possibilities of saves. Limited upside, but Kuhnel, Herget, others might have something to say as the season wears on.

Per FG, WAR and MLB 2019 ranking by position. This should give you some perspective on what needs upgrading...which is a lot on offense. RP while it may have felt bad in reality it was really bad across the league.

C 1.8 16
    1B 0.7 20
    2B 0.4 24
    SS 1.6 26
    3B 4.5 10
    RF 1.7 22
    CF 0.2 25
    LF 1.1 23

SP 14.9 9
    RP 3.7 12
    Last edited by DocRed; 10-07-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Per FG, WAR and MLB 2019 ranking by position. This should give you some perspective on what needs upgrading...which is a lot on offense. RP while it may have felt bad in reality it was really bad across the league.

C 1.8 16
    1B 0.7 20
    2B 0.4 24
    SS 1.6 26
    3B 4.5 10
    RF 1.7 22
    CF 0.2 25
    LF 1.1 23

SP 14.9 9
    RP 3.7 12
    It kinda puts a lump in my throat when I realize that despite the nice season Suarez had, he (well the 3B position) barely made it in the top third of MLB. Tough competition out there.

Turn Off Ads?