Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 3

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 3

Here are my big picture issues:

1. I am afraid Taylor is well over his head. In fact, I am sure of it. I guess they will hold him and hope it gets better, but that would be simply based on wishful thinking. My main issue is that his offensive system doesn't make any sense. The quote from the Jags defensive lineman who go the pick 6 is pretty chilling. Basically, that whenever Gio is in the game it's a pass and whenever Mixon is in the game it's a run - so he played it that way and was in the right spot. That's insane. Mixon is clearly an excellent receiver - I have no idea why they have stopped using him sometimes in that role. That goes back to Taylor. The lack of TE usage is beyond weird. They re-signed Uzomah and Eifert. Drafted Sample in the SECOND ****ING ROUND. Had three other useful TEs on the roster behind those three. And every gameplan we've seen, that position group is an afterthought. The Turner hire (his buddy) at o-line was HIGHLY questionable at the time and has only gotten worse. We are told over and over again that the o-line coach designs the run game and run fits - well - this is at this point, statistically, one of the worst rushing teams of all time. Turner wanted Hart back - sung his praises. I assume Turner signed off on Miller at RG. Whatever else has gone on in that room, we all knew that o-line needed to be addressed and get better this year after a historically bad line last year, and it has somehow gotten worse. It is hard to look at Taylor through seven games and have any confidence in him on any level.

2. Whatever is going on between Tobin and Taylor and who is shopping for the groceries etc is profoundly off. Tobin should already be gone. You know what would help a trash line? Someone like Lamar Jackson. Course, we passed on him to reach for Billy Price, who apparently is genuinely bad. The years of over-looking needs at LB. The missed picks at o-line. Whatever the ****ing thought process was that lead to reaching for Drew Sample in the 2nd round - a blocking TE in a scheme that doesn't emphasize TE usage at all - I don't even know what to say. It's disastrous. It's not just the losing - it is the losing with nothing that looks like a coherent plan or approach to building a team and an organizational vision. The decision to extend Gio with no plan on how to use him - just, why? Why is he here?

3. It is hard to look at AJ and some of the other slow recoveries from injuries and not raise an eyebrow. Players on the field are trying, but, man, it doesn't feel like players are rushing to be back.

4. More coaching weirdness that I don't get - Dennard believed he was ready at end of camp but team chose to PUP him. That was a waste. They cut Devontae Harris (who is now starting in Denver) to keep Tony McRae, who is absolutely bad at his job. The gameplans a few weeks ago that had Billings dropping into coverage. Gameplans where they only rush two. I don't get what they are doing, at all.

5. It was only injuries that forced their hand on letting Brandon Wilson return kicks. What in the hell took so long? Why did injuries have to force that?

6. Dalton is indeed done.

7. I don't even have a point, I am just rambling/ranting. If there was any sense of plan, they would, as I have been calling for, trade everything not tied down to stockpile a LOT of picks. Get their next QB at the top of the draft and start filling in. Fire their kinda GM before the next round of grocery shopping. Bring in a real GM and let him make the call on Taylor getting another chance. Shoot Jim Turner into the sun. I doubt they do any of that. I am guessing this all ends with the team in their new home in San Diego in 2027.

8. Sigh.

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum:

Why in the hell did they extend Gio? What a waste of money. They have no plan for using him. It makes as much sense as when they tossed all that money at Hewitt and then didn't use him for the rest of his contract. WHY are they doing stuff like this? WHO is making those decisions, selling it, and it getting signed off on? Just, what? It is the lack of any kind of logic that is perhaps the most disheartening thing.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-21-2019),Redsfaithful (10-21-2019),Revering4Blue (10-21-2019),RiverRat13 (10-21-2019),Roy Tucker (10-21-2019),StRedlegs900 (10-21-2019),Todd Gack (10-21-2019),WVRed (10-21-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Giving Bernard a contract extension in the preseason then ignoring him in the season is just so typical of this franchise. The front office apparently did not know what the coaching staff had planned. Left hand, meet right hand.
    Sorry - missed this. Agree completely. The lack of any logic or anything approaching a coherent plan is infuriating.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

5. Likes:

UKFlounder (10-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    They absolutely need to fix the line, as on top of the pass protection woes, this is on pace to be the worst rushing team in the Super Bowl era if not longer. However, during the times Dalton does have time to throw, and they definitely happen, he's often wildly inaccurate. It's quite possibly due to his clock being sped up due to all the pressure he's faced the last few years, but at this point, it's far from a given that he'll be acceptable if the line gives him time.
    I agree the line needs fixed, but the question is how?

Do you keep sinking high first round picks into it? Andrew Thomas is the top OL prospect in this upcoming draft but in taking him you are ignoring other needs such as a defensive line that is getting older and generating little pass rush and the ability to select a QB in one of the deepest drafts in recent memory.

I’d rather aim for the later rounds. It needs addressed, but a lot of the problems can be fixed by getting rid of Turner in the offseason and hiring Callahan (which is what I think will happen). Scouting is another, but that is less likely. It can be done especially when the Patriots o-lines top starter is a third round pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I agree the line needs fixed, but the question is how?

Do you keep sinking high first round picks into it? Andrew Thomas is the top OL prospect in this upcoming draft but in taking him you are ignoring other needs such as a defensive line that is getting older and generating little pass rush and the ability to select a QB in one of the deepest drafts in recent memory.

I’d rather aim for the later rounds. It needs addressed, but a lot of the problems can be fixed by getting rid of Turner in the offseason and hiring Callahan (which is what I think will happen). Scouting is another, but that is less likely. It can be done especially when the Patriots o-lines top starter is a third round pick.
    We're in agreement here. Get a good OL coach in here (Callahan would be solid) and start hitting on some of the offensive line picks. Stop thinking the only OL talent to be had is in the first round and focus on being able to effectively scout and develop guys in the mid rounds.

8. Likes:

membengal (10-21-2019),RiverRat13 (10-21-2019),WVRed (10-21-2019)

Clint Boling was a solid plsyer as a 4th rounder. In this town, that was a blind squirrel finding a nut, but it shows that good linemen ar3 out there if you look hard enough. (Of course, they may also need to send scouts (what is a s out?) to schools other than Georgia...)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    We're in agreement here. Get a good OL coach in here (Callahan would be solid) and start hitting on some of the offensive line picks. Stop thinking the only OL talent to be had is in the first round and focus on being able to effectively scout and develop guys in the mid rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Clint Boling was a solid plsyer as a 4th rounder. In this town, that was a blind squirrel finding a nut, but it shows that good linemen ar3 out there if you look hard enough. (Of course, they may also need to send scouts (what is a s out?) to schools other than Georgia...)
    In all fairness, Athens has been good to the Bengals.

Clint Boling
    Cordy Glenn (before this season)
    AJ Green

I have no doubt Andrew Thomas will be a solid pro, just too high to take him with other glaring needs. Solomon Kindley is one to keep an eye on in the second round.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Meanwhile...

NFL Team W L T PCT PF PA Net Pts
    Baltimore Ravens 5 2 0 .714 214 156 58
    Kansas City Chiefs 5 2 0 .714 202 150 52
    Minnesota Vikings 5 2 0 .714 192 123 69

Eric Bieniemy

Kansas City Chiefs
    Bieniemy became the running backs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2013 under head coach Andy Reid. In 2018, he was promoted to offensive coordinator.[4] In his first season as the Chiefs offensive coordinator, the Chiefs were first in the NFL in yards per game and points scored. The Chiefs scored the third most points in a season in NFL history with 565. Additionally, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes became the second quarterback in NFL history, along with Peyton Manning, to throw for 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns in a season.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

12. Likes:

tsdavis11 (10-21-2019)

In all fairness, Athens has been good to the Bengals.

Clint Boling
    Cordy Glenn (before this season)
    AJ Green

I have no doubt Andrew Thomas will be a solid pro, just too high to take him with other glaring needs. Solomon Kindley is one to keep an eye on in the second round.
    I'm a fan of pretty much the antithesis of the Bengals philosophy: build through the lines, unless you're in a position to take a franchise QB. Mike Brown, OTOH, likes skill position players first and neglects the lines.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm a fan of pretty much the antithesis of the Bengals philosophy: build through the lines, unless you're in a position to take a franchise QB. Mike Brown, OTOH, likes skill position players first and neglects the lines.
    I don’t disagree, but the Bengals over the years haven’t neglected the offensive line, they’ve just missed on those picks.

2003: Eric Steinbach
    2006: Andrew Whitworth
    2009: Andre Smith
    2011: Clint Boling
    2012: Kevin Zeitler
    2015: Cedric Oguebhi
    2015: Jake Fisher
    2018: Billy Price
    2019: Jonah Williams

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-21-2019),Revering4Blue (10-21-2019),RiverRat13 (10-21-2019)

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    They've spent more draft capital on the offensive line than most teams do. They just aren't good at picking the players.

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-22-2019),Boss-Hog (10-21-2019),Hoosier Red (10-21-2019)

I think this organization is totally lost. Mike Brown is asleep, the front office doesn’t have a clue and has whiffed on draft picks and been blind to team weaknesses, Taylor is in over his head, his staff is lousy, players are in revolt, and fans are staying away in droves. I’m not even sure if it’s fixable. Every aspect of this team is broken.
    A saxophone someplace far off played

19. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-21-2019),UKFlounder (10-21-2019)

That Familiar Look... Bob Sheed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Here are my big picture issues:

1. I am afraid Taylor is well over his head. In fact, I am sure of it. I guess they will hold him and hope it gets better, but that would be simply based on wishful thinking. My main issue is that his offensive system doesn't make any sense. The quote from the Jags defensive lineman who go the pick 6 is pretty chilling. Basically, that whenever Gio is in the game it's a pass and whenever Mixon is in the game it's a run - so he played it that way and was in the right spot. That's insane. Mixon is clearly an excellent receiver - I have no idea why they have stopped using him sometimes in that role. That goes back to Taylor. The lack of TE usage is beyond weird. They re-signed Uzomah and Eifert. Drafted Sample in the SECOND ****ING ROUND. Had three other useful TEs on the roster behind those three. And every gameplan we've seen, that position group is an afterthought. The Turner hire (his buddy) at o-line was HIGHLY questionable at the time and has only gotten worse. We are told over and over again that the o-line coach designs the run game and run fits - well - this is at this point, statistically, one of the worst rushing teams of all time. Turner wanted Hart back - sung his praises. I assume Turner signed off on Miller at RG. Whatever else has gone on in that room, we all knew that o-line needed to be addressed and get better this year after a historically bad line last year, and it has somehow gotten worse. It is hard to look at Taylor through seven games and have any confidence in him on any level.

2. Whatever is going on between Tobin and Taylor and who is shopping for the groceries etc is profoundly off. Tobin should already be gone. You know what would help a trash line? Someone like Lamar Jackson. Course, we passed on him to reach for Billy Price, who apparently is genuinely bad. The years of over-looking needs at LB. The missed picks at o-line. Whatever the ****ing thought process was that lead to reaching for Drew Sample in the 2nd round - a blocking TE in a scheme that doesn't emphasize TE usage at all - I don't even know what to say. It's disastrous. It's not just the losing - it is the losing with nothing that looks like a coherent plan or approach to building a team and an organizational vision. The decision to extend Gio with no plan on how to use him - just, why? Why is he here?

3. It is hard to look at AJ and some of the other slow recoveries from injuries and not raise an eyebrow. Players on the field are trying, but, man, it doesn't feel like players are rushing to be back.

4. More coaching weirdness that I don't get - Dennard believed he was ready at end of camp but team chose to PUP him. That was a waste. They cut Devontae Harris (who is now starting in Denver) to keep Tony McRae, who is absolutely bad at his job. The gameplans a few weeks ago that had Billings dropping into coverage. Gameplans where they only rush two. I don't get what they are doing, at all.

5. It was only injuries that forced their hand on letting Brandon Wilson return kicks. What in the hell took so long? Why did injuries have to force that?

6. Dalton is indeed done.

7. I don't even have a point, I am just rambling/ranting. If there was any sense of plan, they would, as I have been calling for, trade everything not tied down to stockpile a LOT of picks. Get their next QB at the top of the draft and start filling in. Fire their kinda GM before the next round of grocery shopping. Bring in a real GM and let him make the call on Taylor getting another chance. Shoot Jim Turner into the sun. I doubt they do any of that. I am guessing this all ends with the team in their new home in San Diego in 2027.

8. Sigh.

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum:

Why in the hell did they extend Gio? What a waste of money. They have no plan for using him. It makes as much sense as when they tossed all that money at Hewitt and then didn't use him for the rest of his contract. WHY are they doing stuff like this? WHO is making those decisions, selling it, and it getting signed off on? Just, what? It is the lack of any kind of logic that is perhaps the most disheartening thing.
    Wow look who woke up and finally smelled the poop sandwich! Well said, all of it.

Also, it's nice to hear from a longtime fan that is genuinely angry at what's going on, instead of the usual "well duh, it's Mike Brown, stop beating a dead horse" enabling nonsense.

Two thumbs up for you, and two other fingers up for Mike Brown and his cash grab via milking the local fanbase.
    “I hate the word, ‘competitive,’” Krall said. “I hate the word ‘competitive’ because that means you played just good enough to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think this organization is totally lost. Mike Brown is asleep, the front office doesn’t have a clue and has whiffed on draft picks and been blind to team weaknesses, Taylor is in over his head, his staff is lousy, players are in revolt, and fans are staying away in droves. I’m not even sure if it’s fixable. Every aspect of this team is broken.
    Selling the team is a quick fix, but highly unlikely to happen and if it did would they stay in Cincinnati? (And would the fans that are left care?)

Two random thoughts:

1. I think the Jacksonville game was the final nail in the coffin for Andy Dalton for the entire fan base. Even if you like him, it’s time to admit he’s part of the problem and not the solution going forward.

2. If Zac and staff get canned at the end of the season, who could the Bengals legitimately hire that would bring back the fans and instill any kind of hope into the organization?

Two random thoughts:

2. If Zac and staff get canned at the end of the season, who could the Bengals legitimately hire that would bring back the fans and instill any kind of hope into the organization?
    The problem won't be the fans. It'll be that no respectable person will want the job.

Turn Off Ads?