Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Guess the date Bell is fired

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Guess the date Bell is fired

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Man I could hardly get people on board with firing Bryan Price four seasons into his tenure and it only took Bell one to get several posters just deeply obsessed with him and relishing the idea of firing him.
    The angst over Bell is deeply confusing to me. Is it because he pulls the starters after 5 innings?

I remember Price routinely leaving guys out there because he was insistent on getting 100 pitches and 6+ innings out of guys who would then regularly get lit up. He was deeply incompetent, but I can’t remember anyone ever getting as pissed off over him as people are about Bell already.

2. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2019),RedlegJake (10-04-2019),Tom Servo (10-04-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I think a lot of Bell dislike comes from the feeling he only got the job because of his name.
    Go Gators!

5. Likes:

Always Red (10-07-2019),Rolando (10-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I think a lot of Bell dislike comes from the feeling he only got the job because of his name.
    Which is a fair criticism, but gets kind of irrelevant now that he is the manager.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Wouldn't the same be true for Dick? But it seems to me that fellow consistently gets a free pass around here.

8. Likes:

Big Klu (10-04-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Which is a fair criticism, but gets kind of irrelevant now that he is the manager.
    It would be more of a fair criticism if he hadn’t had significant roles in other organizations besides the Reds before he became manager. It might have given him a minor leg up, but it’s not like the guy wasn’t qualified.

10. Likes:

Big Klu (10-04-2019),M2 (10-04-2019),Old school 1983 (10-05-2019),westofyou (10-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It would be more of a fair criticism if he hadn’t had significant roles in other organizations besides the Reds before he became manager. It might have given him a minor leg up, but it’s not like the guy wasn’t qualified.
    Guy played 11 years in MLB, he was born in Cincinnati, went to HS in Cincinnati.

All that loses its luster when you ain't Pete Rose.

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-05-2019),Wonderful Monds (10-05-2019)

He doesn't deserve to be fired.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Guy played 11 years in MLB, he was born in Cincinnati, went to HS in Cincinnati.

All that loses its luster when you ain't Pete Rose.
    Might mean something more if he'd played those 11 years with the Reds and done so with some distinction. Then he'd have a claim as a "culture" manager who could get the team and fanbase in touch with something they've lost. Far as I can tell there's exactly one human walking the earth who fits that description.

Yet everything with Bell lies in the future. The baseball did improve this season and his challenge will be to take it another step forward next year (while getting the results we'd expect for it too).

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-05-2019),Tom Servo (10-05-2019)

Might mean something more if he'd played those 11 years with the Reds and done so with some distinction. Then he'd have a claim as a "culture" manager who could get the team and fanbase in touch with something they've lost. Far as I can tell there's exactly one human walking the earth who fits that description.
    Barry Larkin?

I don't know what happened to the reds offense, but with the departure of Turner Ward we will see if that was the problem.

Bell's bullpen just ....imploded. Guys were effective until suddenly they weren't. Did you know one of the top 20 free agent relievers (by war) is non other than our own David Hernandez? Lots of folks are having trouble with their pens. Watch the playoffs.

The switching and resting is now part of major league baseball. That's not Bell.

I guess I don't share the outrage. By the end it became apparent that Bryan Price was beaten down by the job and not going to succeed. By the end it was clear that Dusty Baker was not going to manage his players to a World Series. I'm not sure what David Bell has done that makes folks think we are near the end of his tenure. I don't see it.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

17. Likes:

boognish (10-08-2019)

At least one season too late, but probably more

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Barry Larkin?

I don't know what happened to the reds offense, but with the departure of Turner Ward we will see if that was the problem.

Bell's bullpen just ....imploded. Guys were effective until suddenly they weren't. Did you know one of the top 20 free agent relievers (by war) is non other than our own David Hernandez? Lots of folks are having trouble with their pens. Watch the playoffs.

The switching and resting is now part of major league baseball. That's not Bell.

I guess I don't share the outrage. By the end it became apparent that Bryan Price was beaten down by the job and not going to succeed. By the end it was clear that Dusty Baker was not going to manage his players to a World Series. I'm not sure what David Bell has done that makes folks think we are near the end of his tenure. I don't see it.

The problem with the bullpen argument is that it wasn't just the Reds BP that imploded, it was happening everywhere and was the subject of many national writers. Anyone paying attention to the game outside of the city limits should know that.

20. Likes:

Chip R (10-07-2019),Crumbley (10-05-2019),GAC (10-06-2019)

Yet everything with Bell lies in the future. The baseball did improve this season and his challenge will be to take it another step forward next year (while getting the results we'd expect for it too).
    He's from Cincinnati none the less, the city always shows stats and updates of former locals in the big leagues, the subject of high school football is prevalent all year round, the local athletes who succeed are usually treated better than Bell has been. You'd think that being a third generation MLB player would give one some cache. Instead it triggers the cynical nature of the fan, thinking it's entitlement and an attempt by the Reds to fool them, like Mike Brown does yearly

22. Likes:

Crumbley (10-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He's from Cincinnati none the less, the city always shows stats and updates of former locals in the big leagues, the subject of high school football is prevalent all year round, the local athletes who succeed are usually treated better than Bell has been. You'd think that being a third generation MLB player would give one some cache. Instead it triggers the cynical nature of the fan, thinking it's entitlement and an attempt by the Reds to fool them, like Mike Brown does yearly
    It's probably fear of the failson.

24. Likes:

Crumbley (10-05-2019)

Bell's voice sounds like he's always about to cry, or barf. Not inspiring. His offensive approach (or lack of) is hideous. Firing Ward, who was responsible for hitters skills, not strategy, won't improve the offense. Bell seems more concerned about the league "doing nothing" about protecting players (which is utterly false and something he can do nothing about) than he is about the Reds brutally blowing games throughout the season. In an absolute sense, the team improved, but there was also more money spent. Bell will get 60-70% of the dollar value of the roster. The Reds, as a small market team, need a manager who gets closer to 100%.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

26. Likes:

malcontent (10-05-2019)

Oct 8, 2037

28. Likes:

blumj (10-05-2019)

Turn Off Ads?