Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds expected to raise payroll for the 2020 season, be active in the offseason

Making A Pass By GABP OhioRiverBarge's Avatar

Reds expected to raise payroll for the 2020 season, be active in the offseason

“I believe we can have that kind of offseason again this year, maybe even more impactful, because I believe we’ll have more financial resources at our disposal,” Williams said. “We’ll be looking high and low for the right mix of additions to make to the team to get us where we need to go.”

“We don’t comment on the specifics of payroll,” Williams said, “but directionally, we are going to continue to build and invest in this team and have more financial resources available for us. Our payroll will be bigger this year. There will be good opportunities to invest that payroll.”

“To go out and sign an open-market free agent to a big dollar multi-year contract is not something we’ve done, but it isn’t something we will shy away from,” Williams said. “You have to define how big is big. Given our market size, we want to try to avoid deals that are too big to digest, but we understand how to compete for talent on the free agent (market), which is part of the strategy this year. We made some trades to get good players. We gave up young talent to do that. But we got guys like Trevor (Bauer) and Sonny in trades. Now, another part of the strategy is to compete in the free agent market.”
    https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/38375...mpression=true
    "In our sundown perambulations of late through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball. We wish such sights were more common among us...The game of ball is glorious..." -Walt Whitman, 1846

2. Likes:

DocRed (10-02-2019),RED VAN HOT (10-02-2019),Ron Madden (10-02-2019),Tom Servo (10-02-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds expected to raise payroll for the 2020 season, be active in the offseason

Good to hear. After last offseason, I’m fairly confident they’ll follow through too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

5. Likes:

BRM13 (10-02-2019),Ron Madden (10-02-2019)

Making A Pass By GABP OhioRiverBarge's Avatar

Re: Reds expected to raise payroll for the 2020 season, be active in the offseason

That last part about free agency is *very* interesting.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball. We wish such sights were more common among us...The game of ball is glorious..." -Walt Whitman, 1846

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    My interpretation is that they will not go after marquee names seeking career deals, but will not be averse to more moderate signings in the neighborhood of 3/50.

9. Likes:

1thru5 (10-02-2019),Revering4Blue (10-02-2019)

That Familiar Look... Bob Sheed's Avatar

Well at the bare minimum, at least they are bothering to lie to us.

And they did try last offseason. Results weren't there, but at least there was effort.
    “I hate the word, ‘competitive,’” Krall said. “I hate the word ‘competitive’ because that means you played just good enough to lose.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019),Todd Gack (10-03-2019)

Being active in free agents doesn’t necessarily mean they will sign any, I’m sure free agents will use the Reds to drive up their prices and the Reds will be the consummate bridesmaid.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2019)

Active this offseason? Time to break out the unitards.

Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Back up the brinks truck, spend spend spend.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Back up the brinks truck, spend spend spend.
    It ain't how much ya spend

It's how ya spend it.

17. Likes:

Chip R (10-03-2019),Revering4Blue (10-02-2019)

yeah, I think I mostly read that we not going to get in a bidding war for Rendon or Cole this summer where we end up committing to a large salary for 7,8 or even more years because it is critical for a smaller market team to maintain flexibility. That said, we will not hesitate to pay a lot of money to someone like Grandal for 3 years.

Are we thinking they could get up in the $150 Million range?

Reds expected to raise payroll for the 2020 season, be active in the offseason

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    They tried last year too, at least a little bit. I believe they had the highest offer for Happ, but he declined, which in retrospect looks like a blessing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-02-2019)

I’d take an offseason of The Former Reds Special: DiDi, Yasiel and Yasmani take Cincinnati. 3 year deals for each!
    Go BLUE!!!

23. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I’d take an offseason of The Former Reds Special: DiDi, Yasiel and Yasmani take Cincinnati. 3 year deals for each!
    I don’t understand the appeal with Puig. He couldn’t OPS .800 and hit a grand total of 2 HR the last 2 months. He also doesn’t play good defense beyond having a cannon arm. He’s certainly not a CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

25. Likes:

HammerTime (10-06-2019),Kinsm (10-03-2019),texasdave (10-03-2019)

My impression from these comments are that the Reds are ready to join the Cardinals and Brewers in the category of signing free agents to deals under the $100 million threshold, which the Cubs have regularly went over and which the Pirates never do. They're not gonna be competing for Cole or Rendon but the next tier below that (Grandal, Donaldson, Keuchel, Castellanos, etc) could all be within their range.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I don’t understand the appeal with Puig. He couldn’t OPS .800 and hit a grand total of 2 HR the last 2 months. He also doesn’t play good defense beyond having a cannon arm. He’s certainly not a CF.
    I'd go further and say I don't especially see the appeal with Didi. People talk about being scared of committing to Grandal but Grandal is coming off a great season. Didi is coming off an injured shortened Freddy Galvis-esque season. At the right price I'd be interested but I don't think you can assume you're getting 2017-2018 Didi.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

27. Likes:

Kc61 (10-02-2019),Revering4Blue (10-02-2019)

Turn Off Ads?