Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds expected to raise payroll for the 2020 season, be active in the offseason

Re: Reds expected to raise payroll for the 2020 season, be active in the offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    My impression from these comments are that the Reds are ready to join the Cardinals and Brewers in the category of signing free agents to deals under the $100 million threshold, which the Cubs have regularly went over and which the Pirates never do. They're not gonna be competing for Cole or Rendon but the next tier below that (Grandal, Donaldson, Keuchel, Castellanos, etc) could all be within their range.

I'd go further and say I don't especially see the appeal with Didi. People talk about being scared of committing to Grandal but Grandal is coming off a great season. Didi is coming off an injured shortened Freddy Galvis-esque season. At the right price I'd be interested but I don't think you can assume you're getting 2017-2018 Didi.
    Yeah, I can definitely see that. I give Didi a little more slack given that he was injured half the year (same as the slack I give Alex Wood), but it’s definitely a hard sell to commit major money to a guy coming off his worst season like Didi is. I think I might still do it given his upside, but it’s not hard to imagine how that contract goes extremely wrong either.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 10-02-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

2. Likes:

DocRed (10-03-2019),Revering4Blue (10-02-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds expected to raise payroll for the 2020 season, be active in the offseason

Always was concerned that Reds would not attract free agents. Small market, losing team, nothing all that attractive unless huge premium offer.

Now, though, things may be better. Reds have hired some prominent coaches and probably will again at hitting coach. Bell is analytics driven and Reds have added to analytics staff. Have modernized the organization.

It comes down to money, but in some cases the dollars are pretty close so guys sign where they want to go. Hopeful it works out.

Hate to see it all fall on the trade market, Reds have some assets to trade but not that many.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It ain't how much ya spend

It's how ya spend it.
    It's actually how much you spend AND how you spend it.
    "Ill kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thats just how I do things. -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

7. Likes:

Ben Zinger (10-03-2019),M2 (10-02-2019),Revering4Blue (10-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Always was concerned that Reds would not attract free agents. Small market, losing team, nothing all that attractive unless huge premium offer.

Now, though, things may be better. Reds have hired some prominent coaches and probably will again at hitting coach. Bell is analytics driven and Reds have added to analytics staff. Have modernized the organization.

It comes down to money, but in some cases the dollars are pretty close so guys sign where they want to go. Hopeful it works out.

Hate to see it all fall on the trade market, Reds have some assets to trade but not that many.
    They cant trade any more players. They need more wins from
    FAs and to maintain a milb pipeline.

They decimated the farm in 2011 offseason. Traded away Didi, yonder and grandad for Latos and choo rental.

The thing is, the core of the 2011 team (had a down year, won 79) showed they could compete by winning 91 games in 2010 and wining the central.

This current team is 20 wins away. Trading away more top prospects would
    Be silly

Buy buy buy buy

All three of the former Reds have risk.

Puig "can't OPS .800"
    DiDi sucked this year.
    Grandal is an aging catcher coming off a career year.

Unless you're going to shell out $250M for a guy like Rendon, the players you're targeting will always have questions (or warts). That's why I'd want to go shorter term- ideally not past three years. Sometimes you just gotta take a chance.
    Go BLUE!!!

10. Likes:

REDREAD (10-07-2019)

Gregorius bad year was all BABiP luck and actually makes him more interesting to me. This is a textbook buy-low opportunity. Only thing is everybody else is probably going to see it that way too, meaning he probably wont really be as buy-low as he looks at first glance.

I'm more hopeful than the last few years. The Homer Bailey trade really changed things for the better. We had a good team this year for the most part. A little better relief pitching will help a lot. Don't know what to think of the absent offense many time this year, though.

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-03-2019)

Making A Pass By GABP OhioRiverBarge's Avatar

CTrent’s interview with Dick:

Name:  E4F9D34E-15D1-4B26-B521-2BA0EDBF5771.jpeg
Views: 474
Size:  136.2 KB
    "In our sundown perambulations of late through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball. We wish such sights were more common among us...The game of ball is glorious..." -Walt Whitman, 1846

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-03-2019),Ron Madden (10-03-2019),Tom Servo (10-03-2019)

Another very quote by Dick from The Athletic interview:

I would say, we’ll also be looking at spending money in the free-agent market where we don’t have to give up prospects. And maybe try to weigh it more that way. You just don’t control the quality of what’s available in free agency as much. But if we can do more of that, and less trading this year, that’d probably be good and give us one more draft to reload that system.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-03-2019),OhioRiverBarge (10-04-2019),Ron Madden (10-03-2019)

I'm hoping salary gets to $150M range, but expect it to be somewhere between $130 - $140M.

With arbitration (Bauer, DeSclafani, Casali) and others who can be non-tendered (Galvis, Peraza, Schebler, Dietrich), they could conceivably take on $50 - $60M.

Of course, were that to happen, they'd need to replace the SS.

What's a "Nice increase" translate into? $20M?

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    What's a "Nice increase" translate into? $20M?
    $69M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-03-2019),alwaysawarrior (10-03-2019),bradmanuel (10-03-2019),Edd Roush (10-03-2019),M2 (10-03-2019),MilotheMayor (10-03-2019),Plus Plus (10-04-2019),StRedlegs900 (10-03-2019),Tom Servo (10-03-2019),Tommyjohn25 (10-03-2019),Wonderful Monds (10-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    $69M.
    Nice.

24. Likes:

Chip R (10-03-2019),M2 (10-03-2019)

There is no spoon....or payroll limitations under 200 million.

26. Likes:

Chip R (10-04-2019),REDREAD (10-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    It's actually how much you spend AND how you spend it.
    Tell that to the Rays

28. Likes:

Crumbley (10-04-2019),Revering4Blue (10-04-2019),Ron Madden (10-04-2019)

Turn Off Ads?