Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Mookie Betts

Re: Mookie Betts

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    The only guys I would be sad to see leave in a trade are Lodolo and TySteve. Sign me up for pretty much any other package for Mookie Betts because Mookie Betts is one of the best players in baseball. Adding Betts would make this team a legit contender.

I also hope the new player development initiatives and forward thinking front office will allow us to more rapidly develop new talent outside of just waiting for a high draft pick. While it may seem like we are emptying the cupboard, it might get re-filled a lot faster than the past.
    Betts is indeed one of the best players in baseball, but he's still in his walk season. IMO, that reduces the talent I offer by at least a third. I'm much more open to spending cash/taking on smelly deals they shipping out young talent. If they could possibly extend Mookie before a deal (ala Gray) I'd have no problem including Lodolo (and more), but that ain't happening.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-21-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

There are very few trades I would be super upset with if they could get Betts. I don’t really want to trade Greene or Lodolo as far as remaining prospects go. But if they could get him for like, one of India or Stephenson plus a secondary piece or Winker or someone, I would be pretty happy with that. Hell, even both India and Stephenson would probably sting a lot at first, but I’d get over it pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

5. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (10-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Betts is indeed one of the best players in baseball, but he's still in his walk season. IMO, that reduces the talent I offer by at least a third. I'm much more open to spending cash/taking on smelly deals they shipping out young talent. If they could possibly extend Mookie before a deal (ala Gray) I'd have no problem including Lodolo (and more), but that ain't happening.
    The fact Betts is in his walk year is already factored into his price. Iím not paying extra than market value just because a guy had control.

I agree though, Iím all about taking on some smelly deals to keep prospects.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Just realized Mookie Betts is from Nashville TN, same as Sonny Gray...hmm.

The only guys I would be sad to see leave in a trade are Lodolo and TySteve. Sign me up for pretty much any other package for Mookie Betts because Mookie Betts is one of the best players in baseball. Adding Betts would make this team a legit contender.
    Betts would help make them a contender, but he's not going to do it by himself.
    I know WAR is flawed, but last year, Betts was a 6.8 WAR guy. The year before he was 10.9 WAR (Career high).
    Senzel was 0.6 WAR in CF last year. Let's just guess that the Reds got an aggregate 1.0 WAR out of CF last year.
    So basically.. Betts could add 6-10 theoretical wins.. Last year, the Reds only won 75 games.. add 10 wins (best case),
    Reds are still only at 85 wins.. That's really a reality check on how far the Reds need to go ...
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Betts would help make them a contender, but he's not going to do it by himself.
    I know WAR is flawed, but last year, Betts was a 6.8 WAR guy. The year before he was 10.9 WAR (Career high).
    Senzel was 0.6 WAR in CF last year. Let's just guess that the Reds got an aggregate 1.0 WAR out of CF last year.
    So basically.. Betts could add 6-10 theoretical wins.. Last year, the Reds only won 75 games.. add 10 wins (best case),
    Reds are still only at 85 wins.. That's really a reality check on how far the Reds need to go ...
    The Reds could run out the same team and very likely have an improved record just based on under-performing their pythag by 5 games. The addition of a Mookie Betts likely puts the Reds in that 84-86 win range assuming no further improvements or changes compared to last years team. That is a great starting point that just a need a few tweaks/additions.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

The Reds could run out the same team and very likely have an improved record just based on under-performing their pythag by 5 games. The addition of a Mookie Betts likely puts the Reds in that 84-86 win range assuming no further improvements or changes compared to last years team. That is a great starting point that just a need a few tweaks/additions.
    Betts would greatly improve the offense, but the team still has potentially below average production in LF, RF, C, 1b, SS, and 2b.
    I am not saying all those positions will be below average, but the potential is there, especially at LF and RF (very risky to not upgrade there and pray the kids pull through).

The team would still need 2-3 more bullpen arms and would also need nearly perfect health from the rotation.. Rotation is looking good , but they need a #5 starter that won't kill them and lack depth.

I don't want to dwell on things, but there is a reason why the team underperformed their pythag last year.. they were just not very good in close games.. whether the blame is on the offense or bullpen, the weakness in close games was real, not "bad luck".
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Betts would greatly improve the offense, but the team still has potentially below average production in LF, RF, C, 1b, SS, and 2b.
    I am not saying all those positions will be below average, but the potential is there, especially at LF and RF (very risky to not upgrade there and pray the kids pull through).

The team would still need 2-3 more bullpen arms and would also need nearly perfect health from the rotation.. Rotation is looking good , but they need a #5 starter that won't kill them and lack depth.

I don't want to dwell on things, but there is a reason why the team underperformed their pythag last year.. they were just not very good in close games.. whether the blame is on the offense or bullpen, the weakness in close games was real, not "bad luck".
    The Reds were 9 games under .500 in 1 run games leading to a -9 on runs scored vs runs allowed. They finished the season -10 on runs scored vs runs allowed. Thus they should have been a .500 team outside of 1 run games. They were still 3 games under .500 in those games. Their poor record in one run games was certainly not just "bad luck" a poor offense combined with Raisel Iglesias/bullpen contributed to a lot of losses, but it is reasonable to say there was some "bad luck" baked into their overall 2019 record.

Not to mention, an addition of a guy like Betts should have an additionally positive impact to those 1 run games.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 10-21-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Not really related to Betts, but since we are talking about "bad luck" on this thread, this dude did a simulation of the entire season and he came out with the Reds winning 77.8 games.. which was about the same as the 3 extra wins someone said that Pyathogorus supported..
    Not saying this simulation is corrrect or proves anything.. just a point of interest:

http://crunchtimebaseball.com/blog/?p=1

13. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-22-2019)

6 trade fits for Mookie Betts

2) Reds

Somewhat similarly, the Reds made some win-now moves over the last year -- Alex Wood, Yasiel Puig, and Matt Kemp from the Dodgers, starters Sonny Gray and Tanner Roark from the Yankees and Nationals, respectively, and then Trevor Bauer from Cleveland this summer -- that were generally well-received as an all-too-rare occurrence of a team trying to get better in the present.

The problem was, the Reds didn't get better, or at least not good enough. It's true that they avoided 90 losses for the first time since 2014, but they still finished 75-87, were never really in playoff contention, and shipped out prospects Jeter Downs, Gray, Taylor Trammell, Tanner Rainey and Shed Long in the process. They're not exactly an "all-in" team, but with a strong pitching staff and not enough offense, they can't really stop now, either. Imagine Betts in center between Jesse Winker and Aristides Aquino, with Nick Senzel moving back to second base? Reds fans are asking about it, and Cincinnati management has said it expects to increase payroll this winter.

Possible key pieces: No one from the Major League roster, so pick some Minor League names of interest
    If I'm the Astros, I go all-in for Betts with the hope of signing him long term. Imagine an OF/1b of Tucker, Springer, Betts, and Alvarez.

As for the Reds, I don't want them giving up TySteve or Lodolo. But I think a deal is there if the Reds are willing to take on the remainder of Pedroia's contract. I also would see what it would take to get David Price in the deal.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Just realized Mookie Betts is from Nashville TN, same as Sonny Gray...hmm.
    Please come to Boston every springtime, we're the biggest fans of the man from Tennessee.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

16. Likes:

Chip R (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Please come to Boston every springtime, we're the biggest fans of the man from Tennessee.
    Was that a result of the devil coming up to Boston?

(Strong language warning)

18. Likes:

blumj (10-29-2019),M2 (10-29-2019)

I figure there's snowball-in-hell chances of the Reds getting Betts, but if they could he'd instantly be everyone's favorite player.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I figure there's snowball-in-hell chances of the Reds getting Betts, but if they could he'd instantly be everyone's favorite player.
    He may already be my favorite player, but the Reds biggest problem is that the line-up is incredibly shallow, not lacking one huge bat (though that's a problem as well). Right now we have Suarez who is clearly above average and Winker who is an above average bat when he plays. Votto is probably slightly below average, Aquino and Senzel are question marks. Everyone else is well below average. They need three new above average bats added to the line-up to contend IMO. If they can do that and fit Betts in salarywise and talent to give wise, I'm all for it. But if they have to use all their trade chits and payroll room to get him, they'll just be renting somebody for a last place team. They can probably get Grandal, Didi and a buy low guy like Scooter for just a little more money and a lot less talent.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

21. Likes:

REDREAD (10-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well until he got paid, then he would be public enemy #1.
    Go Gators!

23. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-30-2019),Big Klu (10-31-2019),Chip R (11-05-2019)

Turn Off Ads?