Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Women in MLB roles

Re: Women in MLB roles

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Dudes, for some weird reason, are really cagey about women entering spaces that they're qualified to enter and assuming positions of power that are conventionally occupied by men. They'll even make up rationalizations like "Women just don't like having money and power and agency and choose to lag behind men in those categories" to make themselves feel better. Who knows why. That agitated insecurity is just one of the many strange likes/interests that men have.
    I think Women might act the same about the male elementary school teachers, babysitters, and the girl's field hockey coach. lol. It has nothing to do with performance it has to do with the unusual.

I'd love to talk baseball with my female friends. I just can't because they don't care.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    I mean, why not, if they are good at what they do...color commentary might be tough without MLB experience, though.
    Mendoza was a top flight fastpitch collegian. I played fast pitch in my 20s and early 30s. Anyone who says it isn't very closely akin to baseball simply never played the sport. Slow pitch is a picnic activity, fast pitch experience could easily translate well to baseball commentary.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Wait, are we forgetting the number 1 all time best owner of the Reds ever??????????????????

She broke down that glass ceiling with a mouthful of unfiltered cigs while wearing a sweatsuit covered in dog hair.

5. Likes:

redsrule2500 (10-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Wait, are we forgetting the number 1 all time best owner of the Reds ever??????????????????
    She was pretty good at first. She just went too far.

7. Likes:

bradmanuel (10-08-2019),Number_Fourteen (10-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'd love to have back the days of MS. She loved the team and the city and the game. We've yet to achieve any similar success since
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

9. Likes:

George Anderson (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post

She broke down that glass ceiling with a mouthful of unfiltered cigs while wearing a sweatsuit covered in dog hair.
    Cardinals were owned by a woman from 1912-1918 - https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post...inals#stream/0 and Joan Kroc predated her as well

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-08-2019)

It might happen but it's going to be in increments. There was a furor when women reporters got the right to go into locker rooms to cover athletes. That was about 40 years ago. There have been women who were minor league umpires but I don't recall any getting to the majors. There have been women who are front office executives as well as owners although the latter really doesn't have much to do with skill but rather money. I believe the Giants have a female PA announcer. And then there are the broadcasters like Mendoza (MENDOZA!!!!!) I have noticed some teams - and the MLB network - having female studio and pre-game hosts. It's progress but it's incremental. Sports are a boys club. It's very difficult for women to break into professional sports. The NBA seems to have done the best with female assistants and several female broadcasters. I would think there are several females in the front office that play inportant parts. I know the Raptors promoted a data analyst to assistant coach. But women can play in the NBA and in most other sports save for soccer there is a glass ceiling for them as soon as they get involved in organized sports. You hear about the occasional female kicker in high school and college football. But girls are steered into softball rather than baseball. Like redsrule2500 said, "color commentary might be difficult with MLB experience." While I don't think it's a pre-requisite, few if any teams are going to hire someone in that spot without MLB experience whether they are male or female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I don't care about the gender. I care about the quality of the performance. I feel the same way about the product on the field. I just want to see the game played at the highest possible level.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

14. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (10-11-2019),Old school 1983 (10-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't care about the gender. I care about the quality of the performance. I feel the same way about the product on the field. I just want to see the game played at the highest possible level.
    Exactly! It should be a Meritocracy. Whether we're talking about broadcasting, front office, coaching or whatever, it should be based on performance, ability, and results. Not based on any political agenda.

Raquel Ferreira is one of the Red Sox 4 baseball ops executives taking over for Dombrowski until they pick a replacement for him, and apparently all 4 of them including her could be candidates to be their next GM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-08-2019)

That Familiar Look... Bob Sheed's Avatar

Dudes, for some weird reason, are really cagey about women entering spaces that they're qualified to enter and assuming positions of power that are conventionally occupied by men. They'll even make up rationalizations like "Women just don't like having money and power and agency and choose to lag behind men in those categories" to make themselves feel better. Who knows why. That agitated insecurity is just one of the many strange likes/interests that men have.
    Umm, because they are better than us. In like... EVERY single way, except for three. On average, of course.
    1. We are stronger.
    2. We are more aggressive.
    3. We are in power.

Fine, take away those three advantages. Open the flood gates. Equal playing field for all! Except that it will never be equal. Genders and gender roles really are quite different. And the more we homogenize the two... maybe something good, maybe something bad....

Ask yourselves why men have subjugated women throughout history. Just being big meanies? Hardly. Because from the dawn of mankind, both recognize their power. It can't be denied. These next 15-20 years are going to be hilarious.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 10-08-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    “I hate the word, ‘competitive,’” Krall said. “I hate the word ‘competitive’ because that means you played just good enough to lose.

They call me "chef"

Hilarious like funny or hilarious like Joaquin Phoenix in clown makeup babbling edgy platitudes to make sad guys feel better about their lives.

20. Likes:

RedEye (10-09-2019),Rijo's Ghost (10-09-2019)

That Familiar Look... Bob Sheed's Avatar

Hilarious like funny or hilarious like Joaquin Phoenix in clown makeup babbling edgy platitudes about society and mental illness.
    Hilarious like the guy who wrote The Joker, who, also wrote The Hangover not so long ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.c...-10846530/amp/
    “I hate the word, ‘competitive,’” Krall said. “I hate the word ‘competitive’ because that means you played just good enough to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Umm, because they are better than us. In like... EVERY single way, except for three. On average, of course.
    1. We are stronger.
    2. We are more aggressive.
    3. We are in power.

Fine, take away those three advantages. Open the flood gates. Equal playing field for all! Except that it will never be equal. Genders and gender roles really are quite different. And the more we homogenize the two... maybe something good, maybe something bad....

Ask yourselves why men have subjugated women throughout history. Just being big meanies? Hardly. Because from the dawn of mankind, both recognize their power. It can't be denied. These next 15-20 years are going to be hilarious.
    You're right.

They are better than us.

23. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-09-2019),RedlegJake (10-08-2019),Rijo's Ghost (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If a man said and did what she said/did it wouldn't have been as big of a deal. They railroaded her out of the game

Turn Off Ads?