Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds are looking for a data scientist

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Reds are looking for a data scientist

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds are looking for a data scientist

I read something similar a while ago.

Yes they want a Data Scientist. But only one that will work on the cheap, for the privilege of working for the Reds.

I'm sure that'll work out ok.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

How about Magnus Pyke?

5. Likes:

Big Klu (10-09-2019),cumberlandreds (10-09-2019),M2 (10-08-2019),pedro (10-09-2019),Revering4Blue (10-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

Yes they want a Data Scientist. But only one that will work on the cheap, for the privilege of working for the Reds.

Where did you get that from?
    Crazy Reds Fan

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

BillDoran (10-09-2019),bm1475 (10-08-2019),camisadelgolf (10-09-2019),kaldaniels (10-09-2019),marcshoe (10-09-2019),Mitri (10-09-2019),NebraskaRed (10-08-2019),Revering4Blue (10-08-2019),TRF (10-09-2019),westofyou (10-08-2019)

The fact that everyone wants to work in the toy department has been a major cost saver for MLB teams for a long time. Broadcasters, front office, sales, everyone makes less than they should because they’re huge fans who have long dreamed of working for the team. But data stuff and computer stuff is very lucrative and in demand and, let’s face it, there’s probably a smaller cross-section between eggheads and big baseball fans than there would be for most jobs. Smart orgs likely aren’t trying to do this on the cheap. What are the Reds? Guess we’ll find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Bob is God
    Last edited by bm1475; 10-08-2019 at 08:28 PM.

10. Likes:

BillDoran (10-09-2019),M2 (10-08-2019),marcshoe (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bradmanuel View Post
    Bob is God
    I rate this statement as true.

12. Likes:

BillDoran (10-09-2019),bm1475 (10-08-2019),Mitri (10-09-2019),pedro (10-09-2019),westofyou (10-08-2019)

Next step, actually listen to whomever they hire.
    Go Gators!

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Where did you get that from?
    Pretty sure right here at RZ last time it came up, from someone who was offered the job.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Baseball Science 101:

Score more than the other team.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Pretty sure right here at RZ last time it came up, from someone who was offered the job.
    Wasn’t it Doug?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

That’s what every professional sports team does with most of their analytics guys.

19. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That’s what every professional sports team does with most of their analytics guys.
    I believe it. If I had an MLB franchise that printed money, I'd probably overpay for the best Data Scientists. Even 500k/ yr is chump change by MLB standards. But I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Must like receiving wedgies and be able to hold your breath for a full swirly.

22. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (10-08-2019)

Most of these jobs are offering something in the neighborhood of $35-40k to work 80 weeks, including regular (rather than "periodic" nights, weekends, and holidays. It's like getting into finance or law without the 6 figure salary with 7 figure upside. They are designed for 25 year-old Ivy league grads disenchanted with their 2-3 year stint at Merrill Lynch or McKinsey, with no family or social commitments, and desperate to break into baseball. Luckily for the Reds, there are plenty of those to go around. I can't speak for the actual talent, but just go to the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference and you'll drown in them.

All that aside, the most interesting aspect of that ad to me was the line about familiarity with Bayesian statistics. That tells me it's written by an actual analytics manager/director and not just a generic ops guy. Regular "frequentist" statistics is a bit more rigid in terms of the need to make certain assumptions in advance. Bayesian is better for building models on top of theory and being flexible to changes in your assumptions. Rather than just building out a roster of guys who do analytics stuff, this makes me think they have some more specific plans around capabilities.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

24. Likes:

Blimpie (10-09-2019),BRM13 (10-09-2019),Edd Roush (10-10-2019),Kinsm (10-09-2019),mbgrayson (10-09-2019),REDREAD (10-09-2019),wally post (10-09-2019)

Turn Off Ads?