Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds are looking for a data scientist

Re: Reds are looking for a data scientist

Very in-demand and that demand is growing. I know we pay ours well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/best...america-2018-1
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bradmanuel View Post
    Wasn’t it Doug?
    It was not.

4. Likes:

bm1475 (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Very in-demand and that demand is growing. I know we pay ours well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/best...america-2018-1

Hey I'm #43!

True, mine the data, find the ummph and the hurumph.. lots of stuff in there. Lots of noise too, that means that the real data that matters gets pushed up and someone acts on it. Meanwhile the spreadsheet headaches are great, as are the ideas the data gives the grunts.

Now if they can think outside of the box it is a good gig, otherwise headaches and dreams about pivot tables.

it's another busy day for the cut-out witch
    silver threads for our heads - need another stitch
    golden needles in our eyes - then we realize
    it's another busy day for the cut-out witch

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Most of these jobs are offering something in the neighborhood of $35-40k to work 80 weeks, including regular (rather than "periodic" nights, weekends, and holidays. It's like getting into finance or law without the 6 figure salary with 7 figure upside. They are designed for 25 year-old Ivy league grads disenchanted with their 2-3 year stint at Merrill Lynch or McKinsey, with no family or social commitments, and desperate to break into baseball. Luckily for the Reds, there are plenty of those to go around. I can't speak for the actual talent, but just go to the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference and you'll drown in them.

All that aside, the most interesting aspect of that ad to me was the line about familiarity with Bayesian statistics. That tells me it's written by an actual analytics manager/director and not just a generic ops guy. Regular "frequentist" statistics is a bit more rigid in terms of the need to make certain assumptions in advance. Bayesian is better for building models on top of theory and being flexible to changes in your assumptions. Rather than just building out a roster of guys who do analytics stuff, this makes me think they have some more specific plans around capabilities.
    Yeah, that caught my eye immediately. Curious about what they have in mind.

My brother is currently a real-live data scientist. He applied for this job when it was posted a couple of years ago. Despite (because?) having multiple advanced degrees in relevant fields and having *taught* some of this stuff at the college level the Reds didn't even reach out to him. So, based on my sample of n=1 and some strong priors (for you Bayesians) I think the idea that they are looking for a young (read 'inexpensive, willing to work crazy hours') analytics guy is probably correct.

8. Likes:

membengal (10-09-2019),REDREAD (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Where did you get that from?
    That's every mlb club, some are just leaner than others.

And it's why I'm no longer working in the industry. 60 hours a week at what came out as minimum wage was fine for a few years, but it quickly dawned on me that I would have to make that sacrifice for much longer than I was willing to do so.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2019)

----And you had better believe it when I say this, there were a thousand college educated 25 year old's lining up to do just that when I left.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2019)

I have the best job in america, interpreting x rays from home

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I believe it. If I had an MLB franchise that printed money, I'd probably overpay for the best Data Scientists. Even 500k/ yr is chump change by MLB standards. But I get it.
    It's a good idea but how do you determine the best of the best? Especially if your search skews young. How is Data Scientist A better than Data Scientist B or C or D? Because one went to a prestigious university? If someone went to MIT are they better than someone who went to the University of Chicago or Georgia Tech?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's a good idea but how do you determine the best of the best? Especially if your search skews young. How is Data Scientist A better than Data Scientist B or C or D? Because one went to a prestigious university? If someone went to MIT are they better than someone who went to the University of Chicago or Georgia Tech?
    Easy, just hire a relative of the owner, they are the best
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

16. Likes:

Big Klu (10-09-2019),bm1475 (10-09-2019),Bob Sheed (10-09-2019),Chip R (10-09-2019),Kinsm (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Easy, just hire a relative of the owner, they are the best
    We saw how that worked out with the ballpark side of operations. Phil Castellini’s data has clearly been telling him “need more bars”.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2019)

Pick an industry... more so in creative and entertainment than otherwise... There's always people trying to get something for nothing or little to nothing. "It'll be GREAT exposure for you." "The experience is worth more than money!"

And I could never decide who made me throw up in my mouth more: The people saying that crap, or the people believing that crap.

Hopefully, the proverbial Jonah Hill's of the world tell teams like the Reds to pound sand. I know I would. You can make 40k a year loading trucks for Amazon. Barely a livable wage in 2019. Absolutely shameful, with the money the Reds take in each year, win or lose, mostly lose.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 10-09-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Pick an industry... more so in creative and entertainment than otherwise... There's always people trying to get something for nothing or little to nothing. "It'll be GREAT exposure for you." "The experience is worth more than money!"

And I could never decide who made me throw up in my mouth more: The people saying that crap, or the people believing that crap.

Hopefully, the Jonah Hill's of the world tell teams like the Reds to pound sand. I know I would.
    Hard to say no to that stump speech in that industry. Unless you are related to the owner (or in the scouting side a former player) you pretty much have to do it if you want to get your foot in the door.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Hard to say no to that stump speech in that industry. Unless you are related to the owner (or in the scouting side a former player) you pretty much have to do it if you want to get your foot in the door.
    Heck, my job from age 21-25 was working dirt cheap for a prestigious research institute. The pay was crap, but I also didn’t need a lot of money them. And the experience was truly invaluable. But by the age of 25, I was done with that phase of my career and started wanting nicer things.

"It's faster horses, younger women,
    Older whiskey, and more money"
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-09-2019),westofyou (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    "It's faster horses, younger women,
    Older whiskey, and more money"
    "Ain't but three things in this world that's worth a solitary dime, but old dogs and children and watermelon wine."

25. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-09-2019),Ron Madden (10-09-2019),Roy Tucker (10-09-2019)

Turn Off Ads?