Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does it make sense to sign Rendon?

Re: Does it make sense to sign Rendon?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yes. Basically correlates to OPS+ or wRC+. Suarez and Winker are the only above average bats who I think are good bets to be above average next year. Senzel maybe. Everyone else is a below average bat. Even adding a stud like Rendon or Betts won't be enough if there are 6 below average line-up spots every day. I'd rather add three 115 OPS+ guys than one 160 OPS+ guy and push multiple 80-90ish OPS+ guys to the bench or off the roster. I just don't think adding one guy, even somebody like Betts or Rendon can offset a 6 spot parade of weak links.
    If you're going by wRC+, Winker's 113 is far more than a C+.

It's only six points below Aquino, who earned a B+. from you earlier.

Too, if you're going to gauge by projection, Votto (120) and Winker (111) would join Rendon (133) and Suarez (115) as well above average bats.

That would leave Senzel (who you have to give at least one more year), Barnhart/ Casali (who are admittedly below average, though some combination of Chadwick Tromp and Tyler Stephenson may have a say in that soon), Aquino (who probably deserves at least a half-season's ABs due to his success last season), and the SS position (which is underwhelming, to say the least).

Overall, it'd take Senzel to play to league average and the projections to hold true to make that offense above average.

I'm not opposed to adding three 115 OPS+ bats, btw. I just question where those bats are in the free agent class.

Gregorius struggled last season and projects to a league average bat.

Grandal is definitely one.

Ozuna is one, but Winker plays the same position, costs less, and projects to be about as good offensively. (Ditto Dickerson.)

Who else is available and above average?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If you're going by wRC+, Winker's 113 is far more than a C+.

It's only six points below Aquino, who earned a B+. from you earlier.

Too, if you're going to gauge by projection, Votto (120) and Winker (111) would join Rendon (133) and Suarez (115) as well above average bats.

That would leave Senzel (who you have to give at least one more year), Barnhart/ Casali (who are admittedly below average, though some combination of Chadwick Tromp and Tyler Stephenson may have a say in that soon), Aquino (who probably deserves at least a half-season's ABs due to his success last season), and the SS position (which is underwhelming, to say the least).

Overall, it'd take Senzel to play to league average and the projections to hold true to make that offense above average.

I'm not opposed to adding three 115 OPS+ bats, btw. I just question where those bats are in the free agent class.

Gregorius struggled last season and projects to a league average bat.

Grandal is definitely one.

Ozuna is one, but Winker plays the same position, costs less, and projects to be about as good offensively. (Ditto Dickerson.)

Who else is available and above average?
    I think Gregorious will be above average again with a full season and spring training. Grandal is another. The third might be a gamble. Personally, I'd take Scooter on a cheap incentive laden deal. I think Scooter is more likely to be above average offensively than any of the returning players other than Winker and Suarez.

I don't buy Votto. He's another year older. I expect a continued decline. Barnhart and any of the MI will be weak links. I expect a Duvall like feast or famine from Aquino. With his defense and low cost, I'm fine penciling him in, but he should be the 7 hole guy, not the clean-up hitter. I'd give Senzel another year in CF and hope the guy we thought we'd be getting shows up. I might hit him 9th as a secondary lead-off guy until he earns his way up the ladder. I'd be after a lead-off guy (Didi??), a 3 or 4 hole guy (Grandal) and a lefty power guy to hit 6th or so (Scooter). They can move around the line-up by who is hot and who is slumping, but if we run a line-up out there with Aquino and Barnhart hitting 4th and 5th and then a huge drop from there even one time in 2020, it will mean this winter was a failure.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Some articles recently suggest Rendon is not interesting in playing until his late 30's and suggest he would a take a shorter contract for a higher per year salary.

Turn Off Ads?