Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto Has Clearly Improved

Joey Votto Has Clearly Improved

I dont believe in getting better in the offseason. I believe in getting better in-season and carrying that into future years, Votto said. I have clearly improved, and I do think this is a sustainable adjustment. There are other parts of my game I felt were shaky this year. From an offensive standpoint, I do feel like things have changed in a good way. I think [my adjustments are] repeatable and something I can take into next year and continue to improve with.
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/joey-votto-2020-revival

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Joey Votto Has Clearly Improved

If nothing else, Votto is cryptic

From around June on, Votto put up an OPS of around .820.

That’s an improvement from the .680 OPS up until then, but that is still over 100 OPS posts below his career average.

I guess it depends on what he considers himself improved from.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini
    You got the pitching, now what? - Reds fans

Maybe he needs to figure out how to get better during the off season instead of blowing April and May by experimenting.

6. Likes:

bradmanuel (10-18-2019),DocRed (10-18-2019),dubc47834 (10-18-2019),North (10-17-2019),Powder River (10-18-2019),Rojo Rijo (10-18-2019),Rolando (10-18-2019)

I'll be happy with an .820 OPS but he can't skip the first 2 months like TNRED said.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

8. Likes:

DocRed (10-17-2019),dubc47834 (10-18-2019)

I honestly think he has gotten to the point of analysis paralysis and it has overridden his natural instincts and gift as a hitter.

If it aint broke... I know his opportunities were less this year batting second, but his BaRISP had to be his lowest, and he was always money in those spots.

10. Likes:

bradmanuel (10-18-2019),DocRed (10-18-2019)

I think this is his way of saying that adjusting to live pitching is the only real way to improve. Anything you do in the off-season still has to be tested in the regular season

12. Likes:

BoxingRed (10-18-2019),camisadelgolf (10-24-2019),Ron Madden (10-17-2019)

at the risk of getting excommunicated i'm thinking maybe he could practice scoring from 2nd on a single

14. Likes:

Frank Robinson (10-18-2019),North (10-17-2019),sdm24 (10-27-2019)

He attended a Tony Robbins seminar. The downside is that he is now unable to take a walk.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

16. Likes:

RFS62 (10-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Maybe he needs to figure out how to get better during the off season instead of blowing April and May by experimenting.
    I'm all choked up...wait, that was Joey's bat.
    I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told.

Well I guess I'm glad Joey thinks he improved, but his numbers were worse in the second half versus the first half. And he finished the season 0-16. So maybe Joey is an .820 hitter next year and this is moot, but the more reasonable expectation is that he's just experiencing age related decline and that will continue.

If so Bell needs to put his big boy pants on. Would probably start with platooning Joey. He actually put up a .814 OPS against righties the entire season. That's acceptable. But against lefties he was .656. 14 of his 15 homers were against righties.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

19. Likes:

757690 (10-18-2019),BillDoran (10-18-2019),DocRed (10-18-2019)

I don't think it's that hard to figure out with Votto... He's clearly aging and is fighting his mechanics/plan/etc. to find out how he can still provide offensive production. Guys age... Some sooner than others. I think he's going to have productive stretches, but he'll have more slumps than in previous years. The Reds probably need to spell him from time to time the next few years and not move forward under the assumption that he'll not be the player he was the first 10-11 years. Also, I think he's going to have to make a decision that is very tough for him the next few years... Is he going to fight, be a slap hitter and continue to walk at an above average rate... or is he going to get tall, swing freely and "guess hit" in order to generate more power. I don't believe he is capable of being the high on base guy who slugs anymore. I think he has to be one or the other to some extent.

21. Likes:

BillDoran (10-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I don't think it's that hard to figure out with Votto... He's clearly aging and is fighting his mechanics/plan/etc. to find out how he can still provide offensive production. Guys age... Some sooner than others. I think he's going to have productive stretches, but he'll have more slumps than in previous years. The Reds probably need to spell him from time to time the next few years and not move forward under the assumption that he'll not be the player he was the first 10-11 years. Also, I think he's going to have to make a decision that is very tough for him the next few years... Is he going to fight, be a slap hitter and continue to walk at an above average rate... or is he going to get tall, swing freely and "guess hit" in order to generate more power. I don't believe he is capable of being the high on base guy who slugs anymore. I think he has to be one or the other to some extent.
    Are you sure that's what you meant to say? I definitely think the Reds should move forward under the assumption that he'll NOT be the player he was the first 10-11 yrs. I'm particularly concerned about his April/May. This team cannot afford to start slow and they'll play hell trying to win games while their #2 hitter in the lineup is an out machine.

Yeah well, at 60 I'm still just as good as I was at 20 at certain things if not even better, but my ability to withstand an argument with the old lady wouldn't win many ball games..and I'm infinitely better than I was at 20 with the silent treatment..See? Votto and I have something in common..
    Last edited by mamell; 10-18-2019 at 10:41 AM.

24. Likes:

bradmanuel (10-18-2019),North (10-20-2019)

They call me "chef"

His statements do some to be a clear case of improvisation. Article title checks out.

Turn Off Ads?