Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Reportedly Pursuing “Radical Restructuring” Of Lower Minors

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

MLB Reportedly Pursuing “Radical Restructuring” Of Lower Minors

MLB Reportedly Pursuing “Radical Restructuring” Of Lower Minors
    Major League Baseball is pursuing a “radical restructuring” of the lower minor-leagues, according to a report from David Waldstein of the New York Times. While the precise nature of the new arrangement isn’t yet written in stone, it certainly sounds as if significant change is all but inevitable.

Baseball America’s J.J. Cooper has yet more detail on the proposal, which could eliminate approximately one quarter of present minor-league affiliates. Numerous existing leagues would be reorganized in various manners to meet the various proposed goals.
    As deputy MLB commissioner Dan Halem puts it in his pitch, the aims include: “upgrading the minor league facilities that we believe have inadequate standards for potential MLB players, improving the working conditions for MiLB players, including their compensation, improving transportation and hotel accommodations, providing better geographic affiliations between major league clubs and their affiliates, as well as better geographic lineups of leagues to reduce player travel.”

There’d assuredly be costs here as well, beginning with the elimination of numerous independently owned ballclubs from the affiliated ranks. The concept would involve some of those teams in some form of “dream league” for undrafted players, though MLB and Minor League Baseball would own and operate the teams. It certainly sounds as if these proving grounds might also threaten the talent pipeline available to current indy ball outfits.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Reportedly Pursuing “Radical Restructuring” Of Lower Minors

Didn’t I propose something similar to this awhile back?

Guess I’m not as crazy as everyone thought.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Didn’t I propose something similar to this awhile back?

Guess I’m not as crazy as everyone thought.
    No....you pretty much are.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-21-2019),cumberlandreds (10-19-2019),Hobbes (10-18-2019),M2 (10-18-2019),RedsfaninMT (10-19-2019),RedsRocker (12-30-2019),RedTeamGo! (10-18-2019),Sea Ray (10-18-2019),wolfboy (10-30-2019)

It's going to take a while to digest all that's in this. Right off the bat I'm not much of a happy camper about a lot of it, and it has the feel of MLB strong-arming the minor leagues. Hopefully a lot changes before it gets adopted.

Don't love it. I don't think it's necessary to reduce the minor leagues in order to provide decent working conditions for the players. It's not even about paying them more (which I think is unnecessary). They have the resources to make sure their players have the ability to eat well, have a comfortable bed, have nice locker room/training facilities and adequate transportation and lodging for road trips. That's all you need to do, and it's not particularly expensive in the context of the industry.

8. Likes:

757690 (10-18-2019),REDREAD (10-22-2019)

Each team is worth around a billion dollars at least. It’s absurd that they can’t provide decent conditions and pay to their minor leaguers.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

10. Likes:

REDREAD (10-22-2019)

Point 1 - Clubs would be restricted to 4 minor league teams plus a team complex league. Short season leagues will fold. So goodbye Billings Mustangs and Greeneville Reds. Reds would have the equivalent of Louisville, Chattanooga, Daytona and Dayton, and then the AZL Reds. Not sure how the DSL figures in yet.

Point 2 - There would be DRASTIC realignment of leagues and affiliations. The Northwest League would become full season. Pioneer League and Appalachian leagues are gone as far as having major league PDC's. Some cities would jump from A to AAA, some AAA would become A.

Pacific Coast League goes from 16 teams to 10. Intl League would go to 20 teams. South Atlantic League goes from 14 teams to 6 and a new Low A Mid-Atlantic league forms.

Point 3 - No longer a 2 year window where Minor league teams can shop around for new affiliates.

Point 4 - Draft moved to August and limited to no more than 25 rounds. The entire point of this in my eyes is to eliminate a year the year the player is drafted as being Year 1 of their obligation.

Point 5 - All the players that don't get drafted could play in a "Dream League" of other fringe players with salaries paid for by the "Dream Team" and not MLB. Therefore salaries will be minimum wage at best.

Point 6 - All cities that lose teams and that can't afford to form a Dream League team are going to be encouraged to form amateur wood bat teams with some support from MLB. In other words, free up MLB from paying for salaries.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 10-18-2019 at 05:17 PM.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-19-2019),REDREAD (10-22-2019)

Just sounds like one more attempt by big money, centralizing powers to save money while pretending to be doing all these positive things for the players. Places like Billings, Greeneville etc. get screwed but who cares about those places anymore anyway? If the people in those places had any sense, they'd move to the coasts and become people who run the country.

14. Likes:

North (10-18-2019),REDREAD (10-22-2019)

There'a chance Daytona gets folded in this. Part of the complaint of major league baseball is that 25% of the facilities are not up to standards. Well Daytona's ballpark is fairly crappy. The club does the best it can by putting makeup on the pig, but it's still a pig.

Seems short sighted.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 10-18-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Just sounds like one more attempt by big money, centralizing powers to save money while pretending to be doing all these positive things for the players. Places like Billings, Greeneville etc. get screwed but who cares about those places anymore anyway? If the people in those places had any sense, they'd move to the coasts and become people who run the country.
    The coasts need more donut shops.

18. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-20-2019)

It’s disappointing but this always struck me as the natural response to the push to improve minor league pay / working conditions... teams were never going to pay more to employ the number of non-prospects required to fill all of these teams when they could consolidate teams without harming the player development of actual prospects.

20. Likes:

kpresidente (10-29-2019),mth123 (10-18-2019),REDREAD (10-22-2019)

This is a solution in search of a problem. Totally unwarranted and unnecessary.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (10-22-2019),RedsRocker (12-30-2019)

Can't wait for the blackmail "Want to keep your minor league team? give us a new stadium or else"
    Go Gators!

24. Likes:

North (10-18-2019),REDREAD (10-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    It’s disappointing but this always struck me as the natural response to the push to improve minor league pay / working conditions... teams were never going to pay more to employ the number of non-prospects required to fill all of these teams when they could consolidate teams without harming the player development of actual prospects.
    Its what every business does. When the cost of labor goes too high for comfort, reduce headcount or relocate to a low cost country like Mexico, which is probably where a lot of these displaced minor leaguers will end up.

Dream Leaguers sound like the equivalent of unpaid interns at your average non-sports business.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?