Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starling Marte

Starling Marte

The Pirates seem motivated to move their centerfielder, and on paper the Reds are a very good fit.

Pros:

.286/.335/.481 hitter over the last two seasons, with 58 stolen bases. A very steady performer in general outside of one lost season.
    Making an affordable $11.5 million in 2020 and $12.5 million in 2021.
    Known for having good range and glove.

Cons:

Pirates would probably include a bit of a surcharge for an in-division deal, and you figure the starting price is already a little high.
    Has a PED suspension to his name in recent history (2017), another could wipe out a full season.
    Defensive metrics did not like him in CF in 2019 after liking him there for years, don't know what to make of that but it seems notable.

My feelings are that while Marte would be a great top of the order hitter for the Reds, the cons kind of add to a less attractive package that makes me prefer the idea of signing someone for the corner instead or pursuing another trade like Mookie Betts. Curious about the thoughts others have about Marte!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-05-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Starling Marte

Marte strikes me as the logical target if the Reds want to make a dramatic move. Pretty much top guy on my list.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

GAC (11-06-2019),membengal (11-05-2019),Mitri (11-04-2019),REDREAD (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Marte strikes me as the logical target if the Reds want to make a dramatic move. Pretty much top guy on my list.
    Agreed. Marte solves a lot of problems. Question is what would it take? I’d hate to part with Stephenson but if Grandal is signed it certainly wouldn’t sting as much. Pirates C depth is wicked thin. Does Ty Steve, Santillan and Siri get it done?

7. Likes:

REDREAD (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Does Ty Steve, Santillan and Siri get it done?
    I have no idea, but I'd be very happy if it did.

9. Likes:

kaldaniels (11-04-2019),REDREAD (11-05-2019),Rojo (11-05-2019),Tom Servo (11-05-2019)

Rather see India in the package instead of TySteve. If Stephenson is included then signing Grandal to a 3/4 yr deal is a pre req to the deal.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

11. Likes:

DocRed (11-05-2019),M2 (11-05-2019),OhioRiverBarge (11-05-2019),Tom Servo (11-05-2019)

Sign Grandal, Didi and deal for Marte then move Senzel to 2B. Maybe a backend starter for depth and a couple of relief arms (one RH, one LH) for Bullpen comp.

Well, a girl can dream.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (11-05-2019)

I like Marte but that’s a lot to give up for a pretty so so defender on a team of very so so defenders.

15. Likes:

DocRed (11-05-2019)

How many available CFers would meaningfully upgrade the Reds' offense?

Not many - Marte is one.

So if the plan is to move Senzel out of CF, Marte should be a serious consideration.

If the Reds are ok keeping Senzel in CF, backed by Travis Jankowski, then I'd rather avoid sending good young players/prospects to in-division Bucs for Marte.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-05-2019 at 08:43 AM.

17. Likes:

jwbennett1977 (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Not many - Marte is one.

So if the plan is to move Senzel out of CF, Marte should be a serious consideration.

If the Reds are ok keeping Senzel in CF, backed by Travis Jankowski, then I'd rather avoid sending good young players/prospects to in-division Bucs for Marte.
    I’m with you. I think the Reds have many paths to a successful winter. Keeping Senzel in CF is one. Jankowski and Galvis are merely insurance against certain plans failing. Upgrading CF may be the most difficult path.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Not many - Marte is one.

I believe Inciarte would add to the offense and improve the defense up the middle tremendously since you'd be moving Senzel to 2B.
    I also don't think Inciarte would cost nearly as much as Marte, he's not in the division and with all the young OF's in Atlanta, he could be a steal. He didn't have the best offensive year last year, but putting him in GABP may be just what the Dr. ordered.

21. Likes:

Rojo (11-05-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Does Ty Steve, Santillan and Siri get it done?
    Let's ask.

"Hey Siri, what would it take for the Reds to acquire Starling Marte?"
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

23. Likes:

Rojo (11-05-2019),texasdave (11-05-2019),wlf WV (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by jwbennett1977 View Post
    I believe Inciarte would add to the offense and improve the defense up the middle tremendously since you'd be moving Senzel to 2B.
    I also don't think Inciarte would cost nearly as much as Marte, he's not in the division and with all the young OF's in Atlanta, he could be a steal. He didn't have the best offensive year last year, but putting him in GABP may be just what the Dr. ordered.
    Inciarte doesn't have much in the way of power, so I'm not sure the GAB would do all that much for him. Also, Atlanta's new park is friendly to hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbennett1977 View Post
    Inciarte is a .728 lifetime OPS hitter. Last year he hit .740 OPS. Excluding his weak rookie year, Inciarte's annual OPS has ranged from a low of .705 to a high of .759.

Not sure how that type of player upgrades the offense in any meaningful way, if at all.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-05-2019 at 09:29 AM.

26. Likes:

WVRedsFan (11-05-2019)

I’m with you. I think the Reds have many paths to a successful winter. Keeping Senzel in CF is one. Jankowski and Galvis are merely insurance against certain plans failing. Upgrading CF may be the most difficult path.
    I agree - except the Reds aren't paying $5.5 million to Galvis as merely an insurance policy. They don’t pay such high insurance premiums.

But agree Reds have many paths to a successful winter, some more direct, some involving multiple moves.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-05-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Marte puts up good numbers. But him using PED’s and getting caught makes him a hard no for me.

It was incredibly selfish and foolish of him, and I wouldn’t actively try to acquire such a player.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?