Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The fate of Jose Peraza

Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

If I had to choose between Galvis and Peraza, it's Jose all day.

2. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-07-2019),Kinsm (11-07-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I guess a lot depends on if you see Peraza’s 2018 numbers (which would make for a nice SS offensive production) as his normal level numbers, or 2019 as his normal numbers.

No one is denying that in 2019, Peraza had a horrible season. But there was such a difference between his 2018 season (which was probably league average at the SS position), and his 2019 season which was terrible. And I cannot help but feel that a part of his early struggles the first couple months of the season had a little to do with the fact that he had a great spring training, finishing camp as the established starting SS, only to be unexpectedly moved to 2B at the last minute due to Scooter’s injury. And it certainly didn’t help for both Iglesias and Dietrich to have their career months at the same time.

I would like to see if he can bounce back, or if 2018 was just a fluke.
    I agree that the abrupt change of positions may have hurt Jose’s confidence. He’s been bounced between positions as a Red. Good point.

But also think he - in particular - may have been hurt by the emphasis on power hitting. The last thing Peraza needed was a more aggressive approach. Just observing him, it seemed he was subject to that strategy early in the season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-07-2019 at 02:56 PM.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (11-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Really? He can run, field multiple positions, has an arm and those are parts of baseball. He however plays a game with emphasis on contact over power and refuses to take a walk. He might be bad at 2019 baseball but historically he's everything a baseball player has been since the 19th century. He might be bad at baseball but he will get a full pension I bet and likely ten years in the game.
    He's a classic journeyman type (though he doesn't have much of an arm). He's going to bounce around looking for opportunities. Sometimes he'll do all right, sometimes he won't. The consequence of that being four years is a long time for a guy like him to stick on a team and one of his chief selling points will be that he doesn't cost a lot. He's the kind of guy you don't plan around or invest in.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Chip R (11-07-2019),Revering4Blue (11-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I would choose Galvis. More importantly, I think the Reds clearly have made their choice.

9. Likes:

Chip R (11-07-2019),Revering4Blue (11-07-2019)

When game time came on, the old skip came on deck sayin'
    Fellas, it's too rough to start ya
    At seven p.m., the breaking balls began to spin in, he said
    Fellas, it's been good to know ya
    The skipper wired in he had runs floodin' in
    And the good team and staff was in peril
    And later that night when his walks went outta sight
    Came the fate of our young Jose Peraza
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (11-08-2019),Plus Plus (11-11-2019),RichRed (11-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear (LOL) .... I don't want him on my roster next season. He's shown us what he can (can't) do in plenty of opportunity. IMO, he's a liability on a bench that needs to be as strong as possible.
    Fine. What's your plan if Galvis goes down or goes into another month long dry spell?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I would choose Galvis. More importantly, I think the Reds clearly have made their choice.
    I think they've decided Galvis over Jose Iglesias, not so much over Peraza

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Fine. What's your plan if Galvis goes down or goes into another month long dry spell?

- - - Updated - - -

I think they've decided Galvis over Jose Iglesias, not so much over Peraza
    My opinion is that the Reds are most definitely going after Grandal at catcher. And then at least one of CF, SS, or 2b. Peraza May be let go if they get another SS. If they get a CF or 2b, he might stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I'll take what's behind Door Number 3 Monty.

Peraza will get more than $3 Million in Arbitration. He doesn't do anything on a baseball diamond to differentiate him from a scrap heap minor leaguer who they can get for the minimum. Time to move on and put the money to better use.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-07-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's a classic journeyman type (though he doesn't have much of an arm). He's going to bounce around looking for opportunities. Sometimes he'll do all right, sometimes he won't. The consequence of that being four years is a long time for a guy like him to stick on a team and one of his chief selling points will be that he doesn't cost a lot. He's the kind of guy you don't plan around or invest in.
    Who is Cesar Izturis?

Reds will either sign Peraza for an agreeable amount; trade him; or non-tender him. The chances of Jose going to arbitration (or getting an arbitration salary) with the Reds seems very remote.

If they can reach a deal I wouldn’t mind keeping him. He showed in 2018 what he can do. He regressed badly in 2019 but maybe as a backup player with different coaching and another year of maturity he can reach his potential.

If they let him go, that’s fine too, I wouldn’t be surprised at either outcome.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-08-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Who is Cesar Izturis?
    Izturis played sick defense. Omar Infante has always struck me as Peraza's best case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    First off .... is it a certainty that the Reds are not going to try and retain Iglesias? It'll be interesting to see, over the winter, if he scores that big contract? While possible, I don't see a player who was DFA'd, nobody wanted last off-season, signed to a minor league deal as a back-up to Peraza, scoring that kind of deal. Maybe that 1.6 WAR will. Can that put the Reds in a position to come back and offer him a reasonable 1 yr deal w/an option? I'd take it.

I'm looking at it solely from a bench strength perspective. If Bell is a manager who strongly utilizes his bench, match-ups, etc., then he wants it to be as strong, and versatile, as possible. Peraza is versatile (2B, SS, 1B?), and that's about where it ends. His D is OK, but his offensive production is weak (putrid). Believe me, better can be found in the market. Especially utility (backup). They're there.

Non-tendering a Peraza, and finding a replacement, should be the least of the Red's problems this off-season IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-08-2019 at 04:36 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

19. Likes:

malcontent (11-08-2019),mth123 (11-08-2019),Revering4Blue (11-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    My opinion is that the Reds are most definitely going after Grandal at catcher. And then at least one of CF, SS, or 2b. Peraza May be let go if they get another SS. If they get a CF or 2b, he might stick around.
    If another SS is acquired, all bets are off. We'll have to re-evaluate this thing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    First off .... is it a certainty that the Reds are not going to try and retain Iglesias? It'll be interesting to see, over the winter, if he scores that big contract? While possible, I don't see a player who was DFA'd, nobody wanted last off-season, signed to a minor league deal as a back-up to Peraza, scoring that kind of deal. Maybe that 1.6 WAR will. Can that put the Reds in a position to come back and offer him a reasonable 1 yr deal w/an option? I'd take it.

I'm looking at it solely from a bench strength perspective. If Bell is a manager who strongly utilizes his bench, match-ups, etc., then he wants it to be as strong, and versatile, as possible. Peraza is versatile (2B, SS, 1B?), and that's about where it ends. His D is OK, but his offensive production is weak (putrid). Believe me, better can be found in the market. Especially utility (backup). They're there.

Non-tendering a Peraza, and finding a replacement, should be the least of the Red's problems this off-season IMO.
    Nothing's a certainty. All we can do is evaluate the roster as it stands now.

The Jose Iglesias ship has sailed. My guess is the Reds would have done a in-season extension for 2020 if his team wanted it, but they will go and look for a bigger deal. Best of luck to him.

Picking up Galvis' option likely means the end of the Jose Peraza era in Cincinnati. Hopefully the Reds can strike a deal and find him a home before having to cut him, but if it comes to flat out cutting him they'll do it if they must. His money will be better used elsewhere.

Galvis represents the only legit SS glove in the upper system. Had Peraza's glove at SS been better, I think we'd see him on the roster and Galvis sitting with his $1MM buyout.

And since there is a lot of smoke around a Didi signing, I think the Reds are fine paying Galvis to be an expensive backup if Gregorius falls into their lap. He can play some 2B if they don't find a CF to replace Senzel. He provides depth if the MI is Didi/Senzel (two guys who have trouble staying on the field). And he's got some pop from the left side.

22. Likes:

M2 (11-08-2019),Revering4Blue (11-08-2019)

I think the only guy on the roster you can safely put at SS on a spot start basis is Peraza. So let's play the Rumors Are True game, and the Reds sign DiDi and Grandal. Your MI is Gregorius/Galvis with Peraza as supersub. There is no real reason to jettison Peraza, but his days as a starter may be done.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?