Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part IV: All My Bengals

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part IV: All My Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    This gem from last May that I was absolutely blasted for. If anything, I was a bit optimistic, compared to what is transpiring. Everything I wondered if it would go wrong.... went wrong.

So unlucky, these Bengals are! And when AJ walks. Burrow refuses to play here. And they can't get anyone to sign that isn't a has-been or never-were. That will all be unlucky too.
    No question he hasn't been a productive pass catching TE but there could be all kinds of reasons for that. To this point I agree with you that it was a poor draft choice. DJ Metcalf would have looked nice at that point.

But weren't you at this point last year giving us post after post of how Marvin Lewis would be the coach in 2019?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No question he hasn't been a productive pass catching TE but there could be all kinds of reasons for that. To this point I agree with you that it was a poor draft choice. DJ Metcalf would have looked nice at that point.

But weren't you at this point last year giving us post after post of how Marvin Lewis would be the coach in 2019?
    I don't believe so. I was surprised, then surprised that I was surprised, when Mike Brown have him a 2 year extension in 2017.

Speaking of 2017... The draft that year... The Bengals outsmarted everyone and picked WR John Glass. The 3 picks right after him?
    Pro Bowlers:
    Patrick Mahomes
    Marshon Lattimore and
    Deshaun Watson

But who needs a scouting department en par with the rest of the NFL. "We have all the same information the rest of the teams have."
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 11-20-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-20-2019)

I don't believe so. I was surprised, then surprised that I was surprised, when Mike Brown have him a 2 year extension in 2017.

Speaking of 2017... The draft that year... The Bengals outsmarted everyone and picked WR John Glass. The 3 picks right after him?
    Pro Bowlers:
    Patrick Mahomes
    Marshon Lattimore and
    Deshaun Watson

But who needs a scouting department en par with the rest of the NFL. "We have all the same information the rest of the teams have."
    On Dec 31st last yr you said:

Marvin, Hue, and/or Vance, will be involved somehow.
    To which I replied:
    If they do then they have no one to blame but themselves for the empty stadium next yr. I have no inside information but I stand by my prediction that Marvin will be fired after this yr and Hue will not be his replacement and my reasoning is simple: Money. He needs to make a change in order to fill the seats next yr.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...37#post3883537

I agree 100% with you on scouting. Your example is one of many in recent yrs. What I don't get is how they hit on so many draft picks yrs earlier with the likes of Marvin Jones, Sanu, Dalton and others

To which I replied:

I agree 100% with you on scouting. Your example is one of many in recent yrs. What I don't get is how they hit on so many draft picks yrs earlier with the likes of Marvin Jones, Sanu, Dalton and others
    I expected them to hire Vance Joseph. Didn't expect Marvin. But of course there was always Hue. Hiring hue Jackson wouldn't have shocked me either. You were right on that one though... Of course, hiring Dave Shula II will empty out a stadium just as effectively. And his coaching staff, particularly Turner. All these offensive linemen getting hurt, retiring, or outright refusing to play. More of that darn bad luck! But Glenn is back. And he's not a free agent until 2021, so you know he'll really be trying really hard (to play minimum downs and not get injured).

Just like you know AJ Green will be back for a game or 3, just enough to show the rest of the league he still has it.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 11-20-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

To which I replied:

Because it is a matter of who Mike Brown is listening to the most when he makes his decision. Duke Tobin was being listened to more for those few years of good picks.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Because it is a matter of who Mike Brown is listening to the most when he makes his decision. Duke Tobin was being listened to more for those few years of good picks.
    2018 draft picks:
    Billy Price, C, Ohio State
    Jessie Bates III, S, Wake Forest
    Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State
    Malik Jefferson, OLB, Texas
    Mark Walton, RB, Miami (Florida)
    Devontae Harris, CB, Illinois State
    Andrew Brown, DE, Virginia
    Darius Phillips, CB,
    Logan Woodside, QB, Toledo
    Rod Taylor, OL
    Auden Tate, WR

I mean... 11 picks... zero difference makers. My goodness. 2017 has to be better though right? Right?!

2017 Bengals Draft Picks:

John Ross, WR, Washington
    Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma
    Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State
    Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn
    Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee
    Ryan Glasgow, DT, Michigan
    Jake Elliott, K, Memphis
    J.J. Dielman, C, Utah
    Jordan Evans, ILB, Oklahoma
    Brandon Wilson, CB, Houston
    Mason Schreck, TE, Buffalo

11 more picks. But hey, Joe Mixon!

Ok ok ok, 2016 HAS to be better:

William Jackson. CB, Houston. ...
    Tyler Boyd. WR, Pittsburgh. ...
    Nick Vigil. LB, Utah State. ...
    Andrew Billings. DT, Baylor. ...
    Christian Westerman. OG, Arizona State. ...
    Cody Core. WR, Ole Miss. ...
    Clayton Fejedelem. S, Illinois.

Not bad comparatively. Not great.

Now if you want a good laugh, go look up the Steelers drafts from 2016-2018. Matter of fact, go look up any team dominating this season's draft over 2016-2018. 0-10 is no coincidence. You really have to WORK for that level of inept.

Yep, Mike Brown is right. Who needs scouts. Over-rated.

I mean, just look at 2015 Bengals Draft Guru results:

Round 1, pick No. 21: Cedric Ogbuehi, OL, Texas A&M.
    Round 2, pick No. 53: Jake Fisher, OL, Oregon.
    Round 3, pick No. 85: Tyler Kroft, TE, Rutgers.
    Round 3, pick No. 99: Paul Dawson, LB, TCU.
    Round 4, pick No. 120: Josh Shaw, DB, USC.
    Round 4, pick No. 135: Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State.
    Round 5, pick No. 157, C.J. Uzomah, TE, Auburn
    Round 6, pick No. 197, Derron Smith, DB, Fresno State
    Round 7, pick No. 238, Mario Alford, WR, West Virginia

Nothing but net, baby....
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 11-20-2019 at 08:15 PM.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-21-2019)

2018 draft picks
    This is a bad post. They are really bad at drafting, you don't have to make it worse by ignoring the mild hits.

2018:

Bates / Hubbard / Tate are all productive pickups for where drafted, you just need a lot more than that if you only add players through the draft

2017:

Mixon / Lawson

2016:

Jackson / Boyd

The 2014-2018 drafts are why this team is so terrible, I agree with you 100%, but saying they only got Joe Mixon in '17-'18 isn't accurate.

The 2019 draft also looks terrible. Basically counting on 3 productive years out of Williams and maybe Pratt can be a starter (probably more like a backup), and - as of right now - that looks like the entire draft result.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-21-2019),membengal (11-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This is a bad post. They are really bad at drafting, you don't have to make it worse by ignoring the mild hits.

2018:

Bates / Hubbard / Tate are all productive pickups for where drafted, you just need a lot more than that if you only add players through the draft

2017:

Mixon / Lawson

2016:

Jackson / Boyd

The 2014-2018 drafts are why this team is so terrible, I agree with you 100%, but saying they only got Joe Mixon in '17-'18 isn't accurate.

The 2019 draft also looks terrible. Basically counting on 3 productive years out of Williams and maybe Pratt can be a starter (probably more like a backup), and - as of right now - that looks like the entire draft result.
    I'll add 2018's CB Darius Phillips, on IR since the Bflo game IIRC. It would be nice if Pratt improves, but evidently he was switched from safety to lb in college because of a lack of coverage skills. Which we can see - same as Vigil and Preston.

Of course, they have ignored the position under Marvin for years.

13. Likes:

Redsfaithful (11-21-2019)

What is never addressed is that year after year they fail miserably at complementing their drafts with Free Agency. There are very intelligent ways to use them to complement each other.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

15. Likes:

GAC (11-21-2019),Redsfaithful (11-21-2019)

What is never addressed is that year after year they fail miserably at complementing their drafts with Free Agency. There are very intelligent ways to use them to complement each other.
    Well, that costs money.

And wait for it... any cries for FAs in 2020 will be countered by the family with "But wait but wait a new CBA is coming up in 2021 so we don't know what's going to happen."
    Last edited by North; 11-21-2019 at 12:35 AM.

And a winning organization has to (i.e. also utilize the market to address needs). Whether off-season, or during the season (prior to deadline) you see various teams aggressively making moves to better themselves, or maintain their winning edge. The Steelers got S Fitzpatrick from the Dolphins earlier this year for their 1st round pick in '20. Was that too steep a price to pay looking at the Steeler's struggles on offense, and possible questions at QB and other key offensive positions? Don't know as of yet. But it's a nice defensive piece.

But the point is - whether it's a team like the Steelers or whoever - I don't see the Bengal's ownership doing anything aggressively, especially when it comes to the market. When is the last time one heard of the Bengal's making much of a splash in the market during the off-season? The Bengals seem to feed the market (other teams) with their players instead of trying to go after some.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Do the draft misses surprise anyone...we have the smallest front office in the league because Mike Brown is too cheap to pay for more scouts. He feels the on the field coaching staff can double up as scouts. The team has never gotten out of the 70's...it's a bad episode of the Twilight Zone.

What is most shocking is the philosophy has always been to build through the draft...if that is your point of emphasis I would have the best scouts working for me. Unfortunately scouts cost money...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

CB Darius Phillips comes off the IR list:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ce/4259741002/

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Bengals Assure Injury Prone Tua Tagovailoa He Can Have Any Of Andy Dalton's Organs

Promising the Alabama Crimson Tide quarterback that nothing would stop them from drafting him, the Bengals assured injury-prone Tua Tagovailoa Wednesday that he could have any of Andy Dalton’s organs. “We consider Tua to be an elite prospect, but if he has any concerns about the NFL next year, he needs to know that we are willing to sacrifice any part of Andy to make sure he stays healthy,” said Bengals personnel director Duke Tobin,
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

21. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-22-2019),Hoosier Red (11-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And a winning organization has to (i.e. also utilize the market to address needs). Whether off-season, or during the season (prior to deadline) you see various teams aggressively making moves to better themselves, or maintain their winning edge. The Steelers got S Fitzpatrick from the Dolphins earlier this year for their 1st round pick in '20. Was that too steep a price to pay looking at the Steeler's struggles on offense, and possible questions at QB and other key offensive positions? Don't know as of yet. But it's a nice defensive piece.

But the point is - whether it's a team like the Steelers or whoever - I don't see the Bengal's ownership doing anything aggressively, especially when it comes to the market. When is the last time one heard of the Bengal's making much of a splash in the market during the off-season? The Bengals seem to feed the market (other teams) with their players instead of trying to go after some.
    When is the last time they were thinking ahead instead of plugging a hole.

They are a regular little Dutch Boy.

23. Likes:

GAC (11-22-2019),North (11-21-2019)

Turn Off Ads?