Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Astros stolen signs scandal

Re: Astros stolen signs scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    My key point is why are the signs so easy to steal....just mix up the numbers.
    That's an insane take.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

My key point is why are the signs so easy to steal....just mix up the numbers.
    For sure. I get your point. The camera makes it even easier though. Mixing it up would work but with the camera it would likely get deciphered faster.

Haunted by walks

Just mix it up...just not that hard. Period
    “Tell him, Wash.”

Maybe pitchers and catchers need to realize that it’s not so much about signs, it’s code. They need an Enigma-like designator.

“OK, this inning the key is the uniform number of the third batter. Everything works off that.”

5. Likes:

Ironman92 (11-14-2019),REDREAD (11-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    the guy who puts those vids together is excellent at his craft. same guy who produced the hilarious reds-pirates fight video, including subtitles and all that jazz. chris archer's least-favorite video of all time.
    I'm Chris Archer and I'm having Zero Fun... OMG ROFL why did I not see this before?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I have the answer to all of this:

Catcher just puts down dummy signs and the pitcher throws what he wants. No signs to steal. Voila! Problem solved.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I have the answer to all of this:

Catcher just puts down dummy signs and the pitcher throws what he wants. No signs to steal. Voila! Problem solved.
    That only works if the catcher is better at catching than the batter is at hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Luis Castillo against the Brewers in 2019:

April 3 - home game - 7 innings 1 hit 1 ER 1 BB 9 Ks (and a loss, because that was the only good game Wily Peralta pitched all season)

May 22 at Milwaukee - 2 2/3 innings 5 hits 4 runs (all earned) 3 BB and 2 Ks - Brewers ended up winning that game 11-9

June 22 at Milwaukee - 3 2/3 innings 5 hits 6 runs (four earned) 5 BB and 6 Ks - Brewers won 7-2

July 4 - home game - 7 2/3 innings 1 hit 0 runs 1 BB and 9 Ks ---Reds won 1-0

So...do with that what you will. In a year where Castillo was generally dominant against most everyone - the two starts at home against what happened when he faced Milwaukee on the road is...eyebrow raising. I am raising my eyebrows.
    I’m so glad you went and dug the numbers up on that.

That’s pretty convincing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

10. Likes:

Ironman92 (11-14-2019),membengal (11-18-2019)

Always thought the 2013 Cardinals were up to something. If I remember right they hit like .330 as a team with RISP when the league average was .260... They hit maybe .239 as a team with no one on base.

Astros stolen signs scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    For sure. I get your point. The camera makes it even easier though. Mixing it up would work but with the camera it would likely get deciphered faster.
    There’s nothing to decipher

1-fastball
    4....all not fastball

Have catcher give a 1-2-3 every single pitch. 1st inning the 2nd signal is the pitch and 3 is the fastball. 2nd inning 1st signal is the pitch and 1 is the fastball. 3rd inning....what is it? What am I going to say? Nor do you know what I’m going to pitch. You guessing?

3rd inning is 2nd signal is the pitch...on first batter, then 3rd signal for next batter and then 1st signal for last batter......3 is the fastball.

If people think that’s too difficult they have never seen an NFL call in the huddle.....could wear wristband with code if not smart enough

After first 3 innings the cheaters wouldn’t even bother trying

Trevor Plouffe on different way Astros cheated in 2017 WS:

ALLEGEDLY ����(I think im supposed to say that) I don’t have the footage in front of me but apparently you can see the Astros hitters looking toward right center before the pitch is thrown (where their bullpen is).

According to
    @Carson_Smith39
    and now confirmed by my source, the Astros had someone watching a live feed and then relaying the pitch calls via ear piece to the bullpen catcher. Hands up on fence for FB and hands down for offspeed.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (11-15-2019)

1-fastball
    4....all not fastball

Have catcher give a 1-2-3 every single pitch. 1st inning the 2nd signal is the pitch and 3 is the fastball. 2nd inning 1st signal is the pitch and 1 is the fastball. 3rd inning....what is it? What am I going to say? Nor do you know what I’m going to pitch. You guessing?

3rd inning is 2nd signal is the pitch...on first batter, then 3rd signal for next batter and then 1st signal for last batter......3 is the fastball.

If people think that’s too difficult they have never seen an NFL call in the huddle.....could wear wristband with code if not smart enough

AI could figure that out real quick.

Give them ear pieces and be done with it.

1-fastball
    4....all not fastball

In the nfl everyone knows certain players have headsets and everything is on film to coaches in the a high up boxes at. MLB that’s not supposed to be the case. I do get your point and teams should mix it up if it’s expected to be going on, but it shouldn’t be happening to start.

17. Likes:

Ironman92 (11-15-2019)

The ever classy Christian Yelich snapped at Yu Darvish on twitter recently.

In an online video where he talks about his performance in the 2017 Series, Darvish mentioned that he noticed a player quickly look toward the direction of their bullpen before a pitch and he ultimately steps off the rubber.

Online folks quickly determined that it was Yelich.

Yelich then tweets at Darvish that “nobody needs help facing you”. Classy, classy guy.

I’d love to see The Brewers be the next to go down in the sign stealing debacle. There is something that has just never felt right about the way hitters explode when they wear a Brewers uniform.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    ·
    5h
    MLB investigators are moving quickly. They are now interviewing players. Mike Fiers is among those the league has contacted.

20. Likes:

The Operator (11-15-2019)

I’d love to see The Astros lose every single draft pick for multiple years in addition to a huge fine.

It’ll never happen, but it would send a message.

22. Likes:

membengal (11-18-2019),REDREAD (11-16-2019)

Turn Off Ads?