Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sorry Reds: Grandal to White Sox

Re: Sorry Reds: Grandal to White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's not that they can't get anybody, but if they want something off the upper shelves, that's coming via trade. Free agency for the Reds is a place to make smart buys. I'm still Team Shogo on that.
    If Reds are willing to spend, I don’t understand why this must be so. For a strong offer I don’t get why they can’t sign a high echelon player in FA.

There are trades I’d like: Lindor would be the one I’d pursue. But still don’t see why a big FA move is so unlikely.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-21-2019 at 10:22 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think we need to get into a whole debate about this but the area near White Sox stadium is perfectly safe, along with many other parts of the South Side. Yasmani could also live wherever he wants, hell he'll probably choose the suburbs.

I'll be happy if major free agents ever start picking Cincinnati for its "safety" over New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago, but I think you'll be waiting an awfully long time for that.
    I never noticed you reside in Chicago....so that is on me, you would know better than me and the handful of weeks I have spent in the city. I will admit that I don't have a lot of first hand experience in certain parts of the South and West side of the city....but that is because residents strongly advise me to not visit those areas. I am not silly enough to not recognize every metro area in America has it's areas, but the no go zone in Chicago has always felt much larger than other large cities.

After reading through the thread, and thinking this over, the Grandal signing is really unfortunate news. Reds are going to have to work harder to come up with solutions to propel them into contention in 2020. Grandal was the best fit. Too bad, but onward.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-21-2019 at 10:42 PM.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (11-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    After reading through the thread, and thinking this over, the Grandal signing is really unfortunate news. Reds are going to have to work harder to come up with solutions to propel them into contention in 2020. Grandal was the best fit. Too bad, but onward.
    only choice we have......until The Dreamers take the field...

7. Likes:

REDREAD (11-22-2019)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    only choice we have......until The Dreamers take the field...
    There’s still time to make them the Orlando Calrissians.

9. Likes:

cincinnati chili (11-23-2019)

I was afraid this would happen. So what will be plan b? Chirinos isn't as good and is older. I wouldn't mind sticking with Barnhart and Casali if the Reds improve the team at other positions.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (11-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Reds are willing to spend, I don’t understand why this must be so. For a strong offer I don’t get why they can’t sign a high echelon player in FA.

There are trades I’d like: Lindor would be the one I’d pursue. But still don’t see why a big FA move is so unlikely.
    They haven't been making big FA moves for more than 40 years. Theoretically they could shower money on a FA, but I don't recommend holding your breath expecting that to happen.

Lindor would be fantastic.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Falls City Beer (11-22-2019),RedlegJake (11-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    There’s still time to make them the Orlando Calrissians.
    if it ever got off the ground, would not shock me if Disney stepped in to make the change

Right now if DiDi signs elsewhere, I dont want to hear the excuses from this front office. So much for being proactive. Grandall made 18 million last season. Did this front office or the fans who say thats to much money expect Grandal to sign on for only 10 million a year?? Give me a break!. Dont come out and say 2020 is the ALL in year to get to tge post season if you target players that wont come here because your to cheap. Winning will fill the seats, losing year after year doesnt sell tickets. The attendance has gone down since this so called rebuild started. If they only think i want to hear lip service and fail to get this team to tge post season, then its time This ownership sells to sonebody that has the money to do it. Trading for Betts or Lindor is going to take most of the prospects to trade for, the watch after 2020 both are free agents. We get that wonderful #1 pick consalation prize. How has that helped this team after 6 years of losing?? Dont see players like the Braves have drafted that look like long time help come up. Senzel and thats it..and he cant stay healthy. Sorry i just had to vent. Im sick of Cincinnati sports teams owners that accept losing and think a free pizza or bobble head is all fans care about!!

16. Likes:

REDREAD (11-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Right now if DiDi signs elsewhere, I dont want to hear the excuses from this front office. So much for being proactive. Grandall made 18 million last season. Did this front office or the fans who say thats to much money expect Grandal to sign on for only 10 million a year?? Give me a break!. Dont come out and say 2020 is the ALL in year to get to tge post season if you target players that wont come here because your to cheap. Winning will fill the seats, losing year after year doesnt sell tickets. The attendance has gone down since this so called rebuild started. If they only think i want to hear lip service and fail to get this team to tge post season, then its time This ownership sells to sonebody that has the money to do it. Trading for Betts or Lindor is going to take most of the prospects to trade for, the watch after 2020 both are free agents. We get that wonderful #1 pick consalation prize. How has that helped this team after 6 years of losing?? Dont see players like the Braves have drafted that look like long time help come up. Senzel and thats it..and he cant stay healthy. Sorry i just had to vent. Im sick of Cincinnati sports teams owners that accept losing and think a free pizza or bobble head is all fans care about!!
    So if Didi gets $120M/6 Years we are idiots for not topping it?

As far as Grandal, I think the Reds would have been okay with something like $54M/3 as their max, but he got more.

The Braves really havent drafted impact players, they have signed them from Latin America. Part of the organizational rebuild is building a footprint in Latin America to increase our chances to sign those types.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    So if Didi gets $120M/6 Years we are idiots for not topping it?

As far as Grandal, I think the Reds would have been okay with something like $54M/3 as their max, but he got more.

The Braves really havent drafted impact players, they have signed them from Latin America. Part of the organizational rebuild is building a footprint in Latin America to increase our chances to sign those types.
    So your telling me every free agent the Reds talk to they offer less than other teams and those players are going to take the less money to play for the reds??because why?? White sox did great trades for thier rebuild and did a way better job in the international market. Our Reds have not. So since they did a bad job drafting as well, how are they gojng to fix it? Another rebuild? They have to spend or sit back and throw that "Hope" word out again. Its that simple. They have not done a good job drafting or internationaly other than Chapman and iglases.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (11-22-2019)

Cincinnati pro sports have a grand total of two big ticket free agent signings over the past few decades, Cordero and Milton. They do not believe in free agency as a concept.
    Last edited by Crumbley; 11-22-2019 at 07:36 AM.

21. Likes:

Boss-Hog (11-22-2019),REDREAD (11-22-2019),westofyou (11-22-2019)

I guess I’m not quite getting the emphasis on Didi. I’d like to get him, he’s a good all around player. But he’s only a modest boost to the offense. And he’s a “bounce back” signing coming off injury and a subpar season.

Isn’t the Reds’ main need a middle of the order hitter? An .800 or better OPS bat; or someone who will add let’s say 75 OPS points to a weak position?

Again, he’s a good player, I’m happy to get him, but he doesn’t strike me as a substitute for Grandal.offensively.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-22-2019 at 07:46 AM.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (11-22-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    White Sox may let go off catcher Zach Collins now. Could be a nice under the radar pickup.
    He's not long for the tools of ignorance. He's a !b/DH long term.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I'm usually not for the Reds to spend dumb money on free agents, but they traded prospects for short term guys. If you are going to go all in, then go all in. Don't get scared when you see the price tag. You should have a good idea what it is.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

26. Likes:

mth123 (11-22-2019),REDREAD (11-22-2019)

Turn Off Ads?